Chord MScaler bench test at ASR, what went wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nativebon

MUZIC FIRST
Wammer Plus
Aug 9, 2018
London UK
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gggggggg!!. It's like the fun of hifi is taken away after reading the whole complexity of it all.. That's not taking into account the understanding of the minds behind the complex divide. I wish I was back in the 70s now, young free and stupid and just boogie to the rhythm when I heard it. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: tackleberry

Camverton

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2009
Herefordshire
AKA
Malcolm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gggggggg!!. It's like the fun of hifi is taken away after reading the whole complexity of it all.. That's not taking into account the understanding of the minds behind the complex divide. I wish I was back in the 70s now, young free and stupid and just boogie to the rhythm when I heard it. :ROFLMAO:
There’s a lot to be said for leaving the measurements to the designers and manufacturers, leaving us to choose what works for us in our rooms, with our hearing, not to mention minds, and rooms which vary enormously and to a degree that no one designer can accommodate us all with one product.

Looking at recent discussions elsewhere, one measurement it appears we do have to take into account is whether the product is suitable for our, higher than most, UK mains voltage. It’s not good placing too much faith in a manufacturer when it puts DACs on our market which start smoking when used in this country. One argument for paying a premium for British made products I suppose.

Reactions: Nativebon

Miller-8

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 6, 2005
Midlothian, UK
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There’s a lot to be said for leaving the measurements to the designers and manufacturers, leaving us to choose what works for us in our rooms, with our hearing, not to mention minds, and rooms which vary enormously and to a degree that no one designer can accommodate us all with one product.

Looking at recent discussions elsewhere, one measurement it appears we do have to take into account is whether the product is suitable for our, higher than most, UK mains voltage. It’s not good placing too much faith in a manufacturer when it puts DACs on our market which start smoking when used in this country. One argument for paying a premium for British made products I suppose.
Nonsense. Nowadays our voltage is 230V same as EU.

• Haha
Reactions: TheFlash

Camverton

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2009
Herefordshire
AKA
Malcolm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nonsense. Nowadays our voltage is 230V same as EU.
Thank you so much for declaring my post nonsense, I am happy to be corrected by someone more expert in this field but from a suppliers website, “In the UK, the declared voltage and tolerance for an electricity supply is 230 volts -6%, +10%. This gives an allowed voltage range of 216.2 volts to 253.0 volts.” Voltage here, in the wilds of Herefordshire, is currently 242.8v. I don’t spend my time measuring the mains voltage and the plug in meter isn’t necessarily calibrated to the nth degree but when I have looked, usually to check consumption of something, the voltage has never been below 240v.

Equipment sold in the UK should take into account actual as well as nominal values.

Miller-8

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 6, 2005
Midlothian, UK
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I suggest you do some testing or even Googling before stating 'nonsense". In the UK, the declared voltage and tolerance for an electricity supply is 230 volts -6%, +10%. Mine regularly hits 253 and averages 249
Fair enough. Does it not do that in the rest of europe?

Juancho

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2014
London
AKA
David
The European standard is 230V -10% +6% i.e. 207.0 V-243.8 V. So much for harmonisation (when we were in the EU......:))

savvypaul

NVA Hi-Fi
HiFi Trade
Jan 11, 2017
Durham Uk
nvahifi.co.uk
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Ours was always 240, afaik. But that is near enough to 230 to meet the regs, on paper. We routinely check voltage from customers sockets for one of the items we make. Year to date, 50ish results vary from 237 to 256.

Reactions: TheFlash

Miller-8

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 6, 2005
Midlothian, UK
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yeah from what I remember ours was 240V rest of Europe was 220V so they agreed to harmonise at 230V by using a minimum and maximum range around 230V. Everything produced nowadays is made top operate in that range.

Nativebon

MUZIC FIRST
Wammer Plus
Aug 9, 2018
London UK
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Guys Amir has ripped the DAVE a new one here:

I don't trust this guy. I have my reasons. Cause I asked a very specific question under the comment section of this video, pertaining to why not doing a listening test with the analogue output of the Chord Dave DAC, (XLR/RCA)and he referred me to the headphone listening test he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.