Comparing Harbeth P3-ESR with KEF C0ncertos (1974)

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A little relief really, been sorting out my Father in Law's gear for moving on which is a little sad as he needs to move into care. He's still able to have a healthy moan though :)

I've given these a good polish before selling them and they are just lovely. I'm not really doing a critical comparison but these sound gorgeous, bit big for a 12 x 12 foot room though !

This isn't a sale thread yet, I'm going to keep them for a week or two. What I will say is that this really does highlight how well the Harbs perform in terms of sounding like something bigger.

Edit - Disregard what I said about the Harbs, I mean I adore them but physics is physics. I was playing some nice jazz when I typed the above, just put some electronica on and now I remember what bass was !

20191204_181534.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DSJR

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 14, 2008
Suffolk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can you get the Concerto's off the floor? We put them on 10" - 12" stands and they sounded amazing. Very fond lasting memories of these...

In a larger room, P3 ESR's can sound larger than they really are and they may sound more 'seamless' and 'sweet' possibly. I know which I'd rather use though if I could set them up right though and it ain't the tiddler pretenders ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can you get the Concerto's off the floor? We put them on 10" - 12" stands and they sounded amazing. Very fond lasting memories of these...

In a larger room, P3 ESR's can sound larger than they really are and they may sound more 'seamless' and 'sweet' possibly. I know which I'd rather use though if I could set them up right though and it ain't the tiddler pretenders ;)
I'll see what I've got knocking around, though I'm away next week. Right now I would rather have these, bit bloody big though !

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There only big till you get use their presence in the room, when they are on stands they will feel less dominant.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There only big till you get use their presence in the room, when they are on stands they will feel less dominant.
Or get a cabinet maker to make boxes of the same internal volume but slim and tall .. then mount the bass vertically and the cabinet then becomes about 10 inches wide - and no need for stands (as you have made a lovely floor stander) and mount the port to fire up or fire from the rear and then marvel at how much better they sound - then go to Falcon for the revised improved crossovers and then enjoy them even more ,,,

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Would keeping the Kef's and selling the Harbeths be an option?
This had crossed my mind but I'm not a fan of the way they sit in the room, it's not just WAF you know ! I'll be enjoying them for a good while though, just looking a speaker cloth to renew the original - whilst the cabinets are in beautiful condition the cover cloth is a tad tatty. The badges have come off ok and are in lovely nick. As always, no rush with proceedings, I intend to partner these with the old mans 405-2 over the weekend.

Or get a cabinet maker to make boxes of the same internal volume but slim and tall .. then mount the bass vertically and the cabinet then becomes about 10 inches wide - and no need for stands (as you have made a lovely floor stander) and mount the port to fire up or fire from the rear and then marvel at how much better they sound - then go to Falcon for the revised improved crossovers and then enjoy them even more ,,,
Vandal ;-) In seriousness, I like to keep vintage stuff original, or as original as reasonable. No huge point of principle here, it's just the way I prefer to go. Interesting though what you mention about the crossovers, are you saying that Falcon do bespoke replacement ones for the Concertos or suggesting just cap replacement ? I'll have a look on their website.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like to keep vintage stuff original, or as original as reasonable. No huge point of principle here, it's just the way I prefer to go. Interesting though what you mention about the crossovers, are you saying that Falcon do bespoke replacement ones for the Concertos or suggesting just cap replacement ? I'll have a look on their website.
Yes falcon do uprated crossovers  - https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/kef-concerto-b139b-b110-t27-crossover-dn12-sp1004-upgrade-network.html

I know what you mean about keeping original but - the Cambridge R40 used the Concerto driver lineup in a transmission line (and in the R50 with the addition of a coles supertweeter) .. and KEF brought out a kit version towards the end of the series run - and that was in a more compact cabinet .. 

I think (though it is a personal opinion) if a new cabinet of identical internal dimensions was made out of very thick MDF and professionally veneered and with the uprated crossovers for me it would make them more valuable than the originals .. Similarly there are on the net cabinet dimensions to use these drivers to make a transmission line and again that would be my preference ... but I do understand others wish to keep things original .. but when it comes to sound reproduction if it could easily be improved I wouldn't be able to resist the task.  

Whatever you do - have fun that is the main thing 

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes falcon do uprated crossovers  - https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/kef-concerto-b139b-b110-t27-crossover-dn12-sp1004-upgrade-network.html

I know what you mean about keeping original but - the Cambridge R40 used the Concerto driver lineup in a transmission line (and in the R50 with the addition of a coles supertweeter) .. and KEF brought out a kit version towards the end of the series run - and that was in a more compact cabinet .. 

I think (though it is a personal opinion) if a new cabinet of identical internal dimensions was made out of very thick MDF and professionally veneered and with the uprated crossovers for me it would make them more valuable than the originals .. Similarly there are on the net cabinet dimensions to use these drivers to make a transmission line and again that would be my preference ... but I do understand others wish to keep things original .. but when it comes to sound reproduction if it could easily be improved I wouldn't be able to resist the task.  

Whatever you do - have fun that is the main thing 
Very, very grateful for the crossover heads up, thank you. I do get your point re: the new cabinet, I really do, but I'm old school. Seriously, thanks for the x-over tip.

Reactions: uzzy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online