Confused about "ball bearing" footers

Tim F

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 13, 2009
Bedford
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have original still points and some other ball bearing type footers. I believe the "science" is that these move a micro amount and dissipate vibration as heat. However I just can't see how this'd work (other than coupling to a smaller surface area like spikes). When you put a ball bearing, even a ceramic one down with a great deal of weight on it, I simply can't see how this would move. These in addition are not greased and therefore surely have more friction. So how are these "supposed" to work?

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have to admit they never rocked my boat. I've tried loads in my time from sorbothane and blu tac to rubber and sponge and combinations .. but found the biggest improvement with an old amp I had with a noisy transformer was a house brick on top of the amp which reduced the noise of the transformer considerably.

I have seen magnets used with a plinth to "suspend" the plinth and seen others using washing machine antivibration feet on loudspeakers.

Whatever works for you is the answer but the only concern I have is I can buy a finely engineered atomiser for my ecig from China for less than £20 (Zeus and Dead Rabbit offerings) yet some of these ball bearing feet thingies cost a bloody fortune. Being a tight old git who is happy with the sound he gets from his system none of my hard earned pension will be going in that direction.

Reactions: Ears

Tim F

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 13, 2009
Bedford
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I get the friction part however it’s like me trying to push a tank, it’s not going to move at all.

Tim F

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 13, 2009
Bedford
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Sonirity platform looks like two heavily damped boards, I do wonder how much difference the ball bearings are making (versus if these were spikes)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.