Linn Owners

Considering buying a Klimax Kontrol

davest

New Wammer
Feb 13, 2021
I'm looking at replacing my slim line brilliant equipped kairn at some point soon with one of these preamps. What are the various versions/upgrades offered on these? What version/age should I look at? They come with (I think) an mm/mc input that I would want to defeat as I have a uphorik and would want the input to be used as a line level. The back of the unit shows 4 inputs(3 RCA, 1 balanced) although linn docs notes 5 inputs. Which is correct?

Any advice on these would be helpful.

Suffolkboy

Wammer
Apr 19, 2020
I'm looking at replacing my slim line brilliant equipped kairn at some point soon with one of these preamps. What are the various versions/upgrades offered on these? What version/age should I look at? They come with (I think) an mm/mc input that I would want to defeat as I have a uphorik and would want the input to be used as a line level. The back of the unit shows 4 inputs(3 RCA, 1 balanced) although linn docs notes 5 inputs. Which is correct?

This would be a huge upgrade, the latest version with dual mono boards designated, as kk1 or when the switch was put underneath the front was a kk2. They do not come with me or mc input. I know of one in perfect condition if of interest.

ACS

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 30, 2017
West Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

Here's a link to the user manual which describes the various inputs. One pair of sockets are for input/output to a Linn Knekt system which is now obsolete.

https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/images/2/2f/ENGLISH_Klimax_kont_owner_manl_rev1.pdf

Cliffy

New Wammer
May 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi I have an Excellent Klimax Kontrol available Linn boxed , mains lead , 2x Silvers RCA , recent Linn overall fully updated and checked by Linn Factory , so I am looking complete for £2200 Cliffy on 07813060630.I can demo with my existing full Linn System. Area is TN33 9NU.

Attachments

• 2ADC337B-BB54-4546-A666-FA3464B340E4.jpeg
    2ADC337B-BB54-4546-A666-FA3464B340E4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 27
  • D768FBDB-C696-4A2A-A582-F086E20AB265.jpeg
    D768FBDB-C696-4A2A-A582-F086E20AB265.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 31
  • 5CC7C6FF-503A-4B3C-87C4-B483A0675B2B.jpeg
    5CC7C6FF-503A-4B3C-87C4-B483A0675B2B.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 31
  • 10762191-2651-40B5-B9C7-D3943E09D0EE.jpeg
    10762191-2651-40B5-B9C7-D3943E09D0EE.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 31
  • 8008521A-A8F3-4E20-8874-9908EE8D46C9.jpeg
    8008521A-A8F3-4E20-8874-9908EE8D46C9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • 2AD96C63-8AFF-4BCD-8B5C-5C7BBA47C18A.jpeg
    2AD96C63-8AFF-4BCD-8B5C-5C7BBA47C18A.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 24

entdgc

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Congleton, England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have one but you can't have it! As @Suffolkboy says above definitely get at least a KK/1 which has the upgraded board which was a significant upgrade. The latter one with front mounted on/off switch was a cosmetic upgrade to placate EU law and I do not believe offered a major (if any) sound upgrade. Plenty of these come on to eBay so do rush in and buy savvy.

Wenge1

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 19, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I also use one - an exceptional analogue pre-amp.

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I owned a KK/1 for several years. Best preamp I ever heard.

Mick

• Upvote
Reactions: Moomintroll

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The reason I sold my KK is a reason you may want to buy one. When I went from analogue Urika to digital Urika II I tried it with and without KK. It made no difference. I also tried it a non-Linn system that had a digital volume control and it made no difference.

The KK was transparent, which is what I believe a great pre-amp should be. I compared it with some other pre-amps and, in particular, a Naim NAC552. The NAC added a distinctive sonic signature, which I didn’t like (it would appeal to a listener who likes the way Naim present things).

So my opinion is if you need analogue inputs then the Linn KK is as good as it gets for an active pre-amp. It is also the nicest looking and had the best build quality of any pre-amp I have seen.

MRMRR

New Wammer
Oct 19, 2021
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The KK/1 was introduced in 2008. The Dynamik power supply was introduced, I think, towards the end of 2009. The Dynamik was retrofittable by dealers.

entdgc

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Congleton, England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My KK certainly improves the sound of my humble KDS/1 compared to DVC. I have been told that with Katalyst DVC the difference is much closer and I suspect with Organik DVC the gap may well be completely closed. This is why you see so many on eBay - not because they are anything but an exceptional pre amp. If you need analogue inputs it is a no brainer...

David Reimers

New Wammer
May 11, 2020
I agree with the above comments. It’s a stunning component: a massive leap from the 5103, which was itself a big jump from the Kairn. It took me a while to appreciate just how good it is.

I recently did an A/B of an ADS/3K as both source and preamp, and the ADS3K as source and the KK as preamp. The
music completely disappeared with the former, and reappeared with the latter.

Reactions: formann

heimo

Naimless
Wammer
Sep 14, 2020
Vienna, Austria EU
AKA
Heimo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So my opinion is if you need analogue inputs then the Linn KK is as good as it gets for an active pre-amp. It is also the nicest looking and had the best build quality of any pre-amp I have seen.

Unfortunately it does not have even a single analog "line out" output for analog (tape) recording. Am I really the last person on earth who would want to at least preserve the option?

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unfortunately it does not have even a single analog "line out" output for analog (tape) recording. Am I really the last person on earth who would want to at least preserve the option?
If you use KK + Klimax Twin then you could use XLRs between them and liberate the RCA (cinch) outs for recording (at least I think that would work).

If you want a great pre with dedicated tape out and can afford it then the Music First Reference, which is a passive design. It is transparent and may even reduce the noise floor because of its very clever volume control using transformers rather than a potentiometer or attenuator (if I can believe what I've read); though my old ears could not hear that effect in a Linn system. I was going to buy one for my non-Linn system until the price of everything went through the roof.

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree with the above comments. It’s a stunning component: a massive leap from the 5103, which was itself a big jump from the Kairn. It took me a while to appreciate just how good it is.

I recently did an A/B of an ADS/3K as both source and preamp, and the ADS3K as source and the KK as preamp. The
music completely disappeared with the former, and reappeared with the latter.
Only goes to show how subjective this can become. I am using ADSM/3K so perhaps the M makes the difference. I really don't miss the KK in my system, but still think it is a great product and would recommend it to anybody who wanted an active analogue pre-amp - especially as the s/h price is very attractive.

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That is one of the main reasons that I don't use one. The KK is stunningly transparent and if I only had a requirement for limited inputs and outputs then one would have been in m y system a long time ago. I have a surround system though and also need tape out (Revox still in use here). My Kisto is about as close as I can get without sacrificing channels and outputs.

davest

New Wammer
Feb 13, 2021

I was thinking the same as I do have a fairly decent Harmon Kardon tape deck that I can use now with my Kairn. As I have 3 klouts in active mode, (could I) use the last line output of the 3 that are daisy chained and plug that back into the tape deck?

heimo

Naimless
Wammer
Sep 14, 2020
Vienna, Austria EU
AKA
Heimo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I was thinking the same as I do have a fairly decent Harmon Kardon tape deck that I can use now with my Kairn. As I have 3 klouts in active mode, (could I) use the last line output of the 3 that are daisy chained and plug that back into the tape deck?
The outputs which drive the power amps / speakers are regulated via the preamp's volume control. "Line Out" is fixed at maximum level for recording purposes.

AFAIK, the last Linn pre/integrated amps to have line outputs were the Akurate Kontrol and the Majik-I.

My beloved AV5103 has I think 4 pairs of line outs, and the Kisto may have even more.

Reactions: Nestor Turton

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.