Linn Owners

Considering buying a Klimax Kontrol

davest

New Wammer
Feb 13, 2021
I've looked into several and note that many have a small white sticker on the bottom "kontrol/upg" along with a serial number....As the unit has a serial number sticker, some have a Dynamik sticker also with a number, what is/was the kontrol/upg denoting? Upgrade of some sort? Was the dynamik ps upgraded to a newer version at some point as well?

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The “upg” would be the 2008 upgrade to a dual mono board. The Dynamik upgrade was introduced in 2009, the original power supply wasn’t “Dynamik”.

‘troll

Reactions: Wenge1

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm looking at replacing my slim line brilliant equipped kairn at some point soon with one of these preamps. What are the various versions/upgrades offered on these? What version/age should I look at? They come with (I think) an mm/mc input that I would want to defeat as I have a uphorik and would want the input to be used as a line level. The back of the unit shows 4 inputs(3 RCA, 1 balanced) although linn docs notes 5 inputs. Which is correct?

Any advice on these would be helpful.
Better check this out quickly, at a bargain price…

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/th...1700-linn-klimax-kontrol-1-d-for-sale.108099/

davest

New Wammer
Feb 13, 2021
Have there been changes/revisions to the Dynamik PS in the klimax kontrols or are they all the same from 2009 onward?

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have there been changes/revisions to the Dynamik PS in the klimax kontrols or are they all the same from 2009 onward?
There will have been production changes throughout the product life, but I’m not aware of anything billed as an upgraded Dynamik (not just in the KK). Buy the newest you can, I suppose.

‘troll

• Upvote
Reactions: ThomasOK

entdgc

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Congleton, England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've looked into several and note that many have a small white sticker on the bottom "kontrol/upg" along with a serial number....As the unit has a serial number sticker, some have a Dynamik sticker also with a number, what is/was the kontrol/upg denoting? Upgrade of some sort? Was the dynamik ps upgraded to a newer version at some point as well?
To be absolutely certain of what you are buying email/call the Linn Helpline with the serial number and they can tell you.

davest

New Wammer
Feb 13, 2021
To be absolutely certain of what you are buying email/call the Linn Helpline with the serial number and they can tell you.

I've done that with about 10 units I've found for sale. The price being asked does not always correlate to the upgrades...Some of the units have not been either dynamiked or had the dual mono kontrol upgrade but they are asking close to what fully upgraded units are. Most appear to have been dynamiked and from what I'm told, Linn no longer offer the kontrol upgrade....

Andyt916

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2020
Hertfordshire, UK
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmmm, this thread has resurrected my interest. I was thinking about Linn amplification about a year ago, and realised that a used Klimax Kontrol would probably be needed to head down that route. However, they were about £5k used then - looks like they have dropped price considerably - so I went down the new speaker route instead. Now, however, a current-priced used KK plus either a Klimax Twin or a 4200 is starting to look tempting....

• Upvote
Reactions: Imseti and Wenge1

davest

New Wammer
Feb 13, 2021
I bought one from the US late last week. Built in late 2005, it has the kontrol board upgrade and dynamik installed. Should have it in about another week.

HH2010

Linn tune exile
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When thinking about upgrading my non-dynamik and non-dual-mono Kontrol, my dealer gave me one for test at home, fully upgraded to latest spec. And he invited me to take the shop's demo Kontrol too, that one produced to latest spec directly.

So I had the opportunity to compare both of them at home and endet up buying the demo one.
For my LP12, Kontrol, Solo, 242 setup, the difference was immediately clear and constitutes a crucial part of the missing link to make the 242s sing.

Of course the magnitude of difference is amplified by source, power amp, and speaker performance.

Might be a question of individual psu and preamp PCBs or production dates.

heimo

Naimless
Wammer
Sep 14, 2020
Vienna, Austria EU
AKA
Heimo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you use KK + Klimax Twin then you could use XLRs between them and liberate the RCA (cinch) outs for recording (at least I think that would work).

Would these be configurable as unregulated line out? Could I use it the other way round and configure the XLR outputs as line level?

My devices suitable for recording analog signals are
  • Revox B77 (Mk II)
  • Revox B215 (in need of some TLC unfortunately)
  • Apogee Rosetta 200 ADC
Of these, the ADC is the only device that sees some actual use, as I rarely record to analog media these days.

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Would these be configurable as unregulated line out? Could I use it the other way round and configure the XLR outputs as line level?

My devices suitable for recording analog signals are
  • Revox B77 (Mk II)
  • Revox B215 (in need of some TLC unfortunately)
  • Apogee Rosetta 200 ADC
Of these, the ADC is the only device that sees some actual use, as I rarely record to analog media these days.
My apologies, but I don’t think you can fix the output, you can only do it on the input. So I can’t see a way to fix the XLR output while keeping the RCA cinch output variable.

You have some superb equipment for recording so I hooe soeone can can come up with a solution so you can use it.

heimo

Naimless
Wammer
Sep 14, 2020
Vienna, Austria EU
AKA
Heimo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My apologies, but I don’t think you can fix the output, you can only do it on the input. So I can’t see a way to fix the XLR output while keeping the RCA cinch output variable.

You have some superb equipment for recording so I hooe soeone can can come up with a solution so you can use it.
No need to apologize - I was just hypotheticising! It simply means the KK is not for me. I'll stick with my AV5103.

Reactions: Nestor Turton

pdcman

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 3, 2020
I think the KK/1/D is a most understated pre-amp, and a bargain at around £2.5k used. I can always remember the smile on my face when I swapped my AK for a new KK. It was jaw dropping experience.

I still have my KK and have not had the desire to change it yet. The KDSM/3 comes very close, but still not good enough with a vinyl input. I know I may get flamed for my opinion, but thats just the way I hear it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online