Dac streams at 48hz

Nearly bewildered

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 27, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Im streaming from qobuz..have signed up for hi res/ cd quality..just bought a HRT 2 dac it shows im streaming at 48hz? If i put qobuz at hi res 96/24 bit it still shows 48hz? Went over to my dac magic and exactly the same thing? But on my mates dragonfly dac whenever the resolution changes the colour of dac changes.indicating the difference of quality! Any ideas? 

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Are you streaming from a PC/laptop? If so I'd guess it's an issue with the resolution the computer is set to output (via a Windows/Mac OS setting). I ran into this problem myself a while ago but apologies I can't remember specifically what to check/change now but a Google will probably inform you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nearly bewildered

Snoopdog

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 30, 2005
Winchester, Hants
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you were using a MacBook, I'd suggest launching Audio MIDI Pro and altering the output to 24 bit 96KHz!

Is there some similar setting on your linx 12?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nearly bewildered

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 27, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
If you were using a MacBook, I'd suggest launching Audio MIDI Pro and altering the output to 24 bit 96KHz!

Is there some similar setting on your linx 12?i 
Yes went onto settings and fixed it..the 96 hz comes up! However when i go down to cd quality or mp3..light stays at 96hz! Lol..

• Haha
Reactions: Snoopdog

Nearly bewildered

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 27, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Is that because the computer is upsampling or is it indicating the wrong rate?
It seems ok now..i adjusted it in advanced sound settings..( seems this setting needs to be re done for each different dac) strange my dac magic will only got to 48hz 16bit? But the HRT 2 has gone up to 96hz and the jolida has been reset to.96hz on advanced setting..sounds better! Think it's been playing at 48hz on jolida ( there is no indication of stream quality in jolida dac) i assumed it was 96hz..lol my kit is so good on 48hz it sounds brilliant..but now on 96hz it is even better!  

Nearly bewildered

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 27, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I've just spotted you keep missing a critical factor of 1000 out! Or at least I seriously hope you kHz not Hz  :D .
Yes....your right...meant kHz...spent the last week or so thinking this hi res is good on 48kHz hahahaha...it was but now on 96 kHz its better..so when i got hi res last week i was right about how good hi res is..but also wrong!  Oh dear.. Fixed now!

Reactions: MartinC

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wonder how many people out there raving about high res aren't actually listening to high res because of their setup, or even the files themselves being upsampled in the first place. Same goes for MQA. I've seen people raving about it when they're not even using an MQA DAC that "unfolds" it properly.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've seen people raving about it when they're not even using an MQA DAC that "unfolds" it properly.
I think at least some of the time the mix is different for the MQA version, so it may sound better for reasons that have nothing to do with MQA...

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think at least some of the time the mix is different for the MQA version, so it may sound better for reasons that have nothing to do with MQA...
Is it? I find that hard to believe. I compared some Bowie and it sounded like the same master to me.

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well I'd be happy to be corrected and give it a second chance. In its Tidal Masters incarnation it seems to me like an unnecessary (and arguably lossy) form of compression designed to shift kit with an MQA badge on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online