Dvdplayer for music is that recommendable on a low budget ?

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Im gonna try an Onkyo TX-8020 to get more power, it's cheap, good sound and has more power than what i have, what i have i can use for my tv as an upgrade 

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-stereo-receiver/

It's only available in silver, i then would need, want something that can play cd's, of course in silver

Cd player like the onkyo 7030 is alot more expensive than the amp ,then i thought of a new dvd player with optical out since the amp has optical input, i could also  buy a used cheap dac for the dvd player and my pc. If i can find a used cdplayer in silver that would be better for music, if how ever a new dvd player would be good for music, why not?

What do you think about using a dvd player for music?

Any cheap ones in silver, optical out,analog out and  physical buttons in silver that could be recommend for music ?

It most also be one that isn't noisy like a dvd drive for a pc when spinning.

I do have a  blueray player but it's very slow and have a bit faulty software i have tried many years ago to upgrade, it wasn't possible and i don't use it,it's also kind of big.

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How low is your budget?

Perhaps something like a Marantz DVD/Blu-Ray will give you good playback or, maybe, Pioneer... however, the Pioneer doesn't have analogue inputs when I had one on dem a few years ago.

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well on a low budget it would be, LOW

let's say 50-60 euros, it could buy something used for 100-120 euros but thought it would make more sense to buy one for half price (mabye new) and then if it doesn't sound to exciting, for the same price buy a used dac, i briefly looked at some used dac and it is possible to get one for from a good brand for 60-70 euros. A Cambridge, DacMagic (the big what hifi 5 star without volume nob) would set me back  90 euros which is okay for a dac that cost 250 euros or more when it was new 

Than i could use it for my pc and cd or dvd (i have good cables,inteconnects  i could use so no need to buy someting)

Of course if im lucky to find a use cd player in good quality,  i would buy it (Marantz,denon,nad,onkyo), it's just a new dvd player and a used dac could be as much as a used Marantz 5005 or something like that, if i get an advantage of a dac it's worth considering over a cdplayer like the marantz CD5005. There how ever the option just to use whth the amps has optical  for my pc and coaxial for a cd/dvd player.

All of that depends on my keeping the amp, for what i payed for it i would only be able to buy a used marantz PM5005,onky a-9010 (couldn't fine one) or new Cambridge Audio Topaz AM5, the onkyo tx-8020 is discontinued so that's why they only have a limited number of amps and those are all in silver + it's above low budget amps in power.

Not my favorite color but have learned to love white speakers (the color of my current speakers) so i could learn to live with a silver amp and cd or dvd player.

It's actually quite fun been on a low budget trying to look for good deals use cdplayer or new,used dvd player and a dac, finding good deals on new stuff for less than half price combination of this interconnect or speaker cable tose rubber or cork feet or foam feet (sonic design)

Last edited by a moderator:

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I could compromise in having one in black since silver isn't a common colour for a cd, dvd player, it seems like most new dvd players only have a open,close,stop and play/pause button, no next song, i would feel kind of stupid sitting in arm length from the player having to use a remote control to change numbers. 

joolz

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 18, 2017
Maidstone
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use an old Dennon DVD 2900 as a transport, it's the least expensive bit of kit i own and not embarrassed by the 'posh' stuff.

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  • Upvote
Reactions: uzzy

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have several DVD players, bought from charity shops.  None cost more than £5, and they all sound different.  They are in use in the two systems I have in the loft, one being fed into a Xiang Sheng 01A DAC, and the other straight to the amp.  Both work well enough to enjoy the music.  At those sorts of prices you could afford to try a few and see what you like.

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It doesn't have to be a dvd player BUT it's easy to find even a new dvd player for not alot  with warranty

Used cdplayers for not alot of money is easy to find, as long as it's in good condition,silent/quiet and has digital out it can always be upgraded in sound quality, often cheaper than buying a different cdplayer that sounds better.

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What about a PlayStation 3 you can pick up used/serviced ones up from the likes of music magpie for around £50 it will do cd, sacd, bluray, catch up tv iplayer, amazon etc and you can even play the odd game if you so desire. Its has a good reputation for its dvd/bluray abilities also has wifi built.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-PlayStation-3-40GB-Black-Console/381658090018?epid=100235299&hash=item58dc984a22:g:TxAAAOSw~OdVXFJd
I like the convenience  of having physical buttons for play,pause,forward,back and stop

Do you have to use the controls to play,pause,forward,back and stop, no display except when connected to  a minitor?

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/audio-visual/dvd-players/arcam-dv79-299558/review

Arcam DV79 - can be picked up for £60-70 so in budget. Sounds excellent (I have one)!!

Cant remember who recommended I go down this route from WHF days. Pos @CnoEvil ?
@gasolin

There’s a mint cond one, in silver, on eBay. Plus it has buttons 👍 and it sounds awesome. 

No bids £35 + £10 postage. This will easily fall inside your budget... 

Damn, I’m tempted to buy it myself as a backup 😀

Reactions: gasolin

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Does your PC have a digital output? If it does you could use your PC's drive to read the discs and just buy a decent external DAC. 

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Does your PC have a digital output? If it does you could use your PC's drive to read the discs and just buy a decent external DAC. 
NO NO NO NO i won't do that, my dvd drive is noisy ever time i buy or borrow a dvd i rip so i can watch it on my pc with no additional noise

it's a Samsung Super-WriteMaster SH-224GB, 20 euros new, it's fare for noise free  

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just to let you know im playing on the amp atm (tidal hifi, qed optical) need a bit volume for it to play 20-25 out of 80 (alot of turning on the volume knob before it's alot louder,fine tuning is for shure possible)

Clear highs (to the more brighter side than neutral, would be perfect for the diamond 220 since that speaker is more dark sounding than the diamond 225) and neutral midrange,bass, 50 is about my limit, loud and clear (i do have 2 more options for analog out from my pc or 1 optical)

Theres no excuse for bad (sound) hifi even on a low budget

Shipping is £20 on the dvd player

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This could well be ideal. Used to own it's bigger brother and it's superb sounding.

Clickety
Bigger brother ? That was the top of the line in 1993-94

Mine is the RCD 965BX LE DISCRETE, it's just in bad condition with buttons for the open,close that broke with other buttons ready to break, fall off , last i used it, it sounded okay but not the entry level high end it use to be 

https://www.whathifi.com/features/best-24-cd-players-what-hi-fis-lifetime (91, used ith with kimber pbj interconnects)

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Reactions: gasolin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members