Dvdplayer for music is that recommendable on a low budget ?

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I see, i used mine until 2007-9 until i started using my pc and only in the last 3-4 years i have had a real cdplayer (never used my bluray player for cd's, it's big and slow, don't want to use it anymore)

Last edited by a moderator:

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I see, i used mine until 2007-9 until i started using my pc and only in the last 3-4 years i have had a real cdplayer (never used my bluray player for cd's, it's big and slow, don't want to use it anymore)
The 975 were made in low numbers in comparison to the 965BX. The 975 originally retailed around £450 but looked identical to the 965. Doubt if there is much difference in SQ between the two. My 975 became defunct in 2004 when I replaced it with the Arcam CD73.

Here's the manual.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
NO NO NO NO i won't do that, my dvd drive is noisy ever time i buy or borrow a dvd i rip so i can watch it on my pc with no additional noise

it's a Samsung Super-WriteMaster SH-224GB, 20 euros new, it's fare for noise free  
Bear in mind that DVD players can also be noisy and slow, particularly cheap ones.

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I like the convenience  of having physical buttons for play,pause,forward,back and stop

Do you have to use the controls to play,pause,forward,back and stop, no display except when connected to  a minitor?
I have a sony tv and use the tv remote to control my ps3 

Display is only when connected to a monitor.

There are some phone apps available for the ps3 which allow you to control the ps3 via your phone I haven't used them myself maybe they would show the screen info on the phone if you were not connected to a monitor. Be handy if so but I do not know if they do or don't.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Original Price:$1,800.00

http://audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing/DVD-Players/Arcam/DIVA-DV79/DVD-CD-DVD-Audio-player/66389

My philips bluray player is cheap less than 80 euros as fare as i remember, my cd/dvd drive for my pc is sooo much more noisy it's amazing who big the diffrence is, but my cd/dvd drive for my pc does what it's surpose to do.
My point was that DVD/Blu-ray players tend to be slower and noisier than CD players.

If you already have a Blu-ray player though I don't understand why you're looking for a cheap DVD player?

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My point was that DVD/Blu-ray players tend to be slower and noisier than CD players.

If you already have a Blu-ray player though I don't understand why you're looking for a cheap DVD player?
as already mentioned, i have an older dvd player, it's slow and have some bugs where it won't stop when pressing the stop button and some other stuff.

I have tried upgrading the software  but it won't, im lefte with a slow bluray player i haven't used in many years with buggy software.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
as already mentioned, i have an older dvd player, it's slow and have some bugs where it won't stop when pressing the stop button and some other stuff.

I have tried upgrading the software  but it won't, im lefte with a slow bluray player i haven't used in many years with buggy software.
In your last post you wrote 'my Philips Blu-ray player'. Do you have this or not?

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yes i do, i don't use it. 

It also only have open,close, play/pause and stop buttons

Slow and buggy bluray player about 10 years old

This one 
BDP3100_12-_FP-global-001

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yes i do, i don't use it. 

It also only have open,close, play/pause and stop buttons

Slow and buggy bluray player about 10 years old
It sounded like your point above was this player wasn't slow/noisy  :roll: .

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
it's so slow im  :wall:  every time i use it and some funtions don't work, i have in the past tried upgrading the buggy software, it's just buggy enough for it not to want to upgrade the software.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Right, so back to my original point, you're asking about buying a cheap DVD player which I think you may find is slow and potentially noisy...

• Haha
Reactions: insider9

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Right, so back to my original point, you're asking about buying a cheap DVD player which I think you may find is slow and potentially noisy...
I thought of it as a cheaper way of getting a new cd player, if i buy a dvd player compared to a new cdplayer which could  be £130 for something like a Cambridge audio Topaz AM5, if i don't like the sound i could always find a used dac and pay no more than £1200 total (£130 would only get me the cheapest from a well known brand like cambridge audio if i want a new cdplayer)

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thought of it as a cheaper way of getting a new cd player, if i buy a dvd player compared to a new cdplayer which could  be £130 for something like a Cambridge audio Topaz AM5, if i don't like the sound i could always find a used dac and pay no more than £1200 total (£130 would only get me the cheapest from a well known brand like cambridge audio if i want a new cdplayer)
You already have one you don't want to use. Personally I therefore think that buying a CD player is far more likely to give you what you actually seem to be after. If you do decide to buy a DAC then £100 would probably be enough and £200 would buy you a good performing brand new DAC. Spending £1000 on a DAC to use with you're current speakers would be getting priorities totally the wrong way round IMHO.

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can get a used cambridge dacmagic for less than 90 euros (as mentioned the 5 star what hifi dac with no volume knob)

I don't what to use it since it's slow, slightly buggy and feel stupid having to use a remote control to change song when the unit is within arm length

It doesn't have to be a dvd or bluray player, what it has to be is something that can play cd's and have an optical or coaxial out, in case the sound sucks

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can get a used cambridge dacmagic for less than 90 euros (as mentioned the 5 star what hifi dac with no volume knob)

I don't what to use it since it's slow, slightly buggy and feel stupid having to use a remote control to change song when the unit is within arm length

It doesn't have to be a dvd or bluray player, what it has to be is something that can play cd's and have an optical or coaxial out, in case the sound sucks
That is not an incase, its a stone cold certainty if you go for one of the lower end Cambridge Topaz CD players. I bought a Topaz cd10, 3 years ago and it sounded disgusting, so much so I got shot of it after a week. It was easily beaten on SQ by a 90s Cambridge CD500SE a friend lent me.

I have a Sony CDP-791 (X111ES) sitting here doing nothing I'd be happy to ship out to you if your interested. It has fixed and variable analog + optical outputs, and is a superb sounding unit. 

Screenshot_20190712-191802.png

Reactions: gasolin

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not saying im gonna buy a Cambridge audio Topaz but it's one of the cheapest new on sale with a good discount cdplayer from a well know brand. 

I have made a bid on the arcam dv79 and have to wait almost 4 day to know if i got it, it's in silver and match my amp 

s-l500.jpg

DSC_0639.jpg

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
daaam suddenly the price on the arcam dv79 gos up, atm £50

Update it's at £71

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Find yourself a secondhand Cambridge Audio Azur 540D. Not only a fine DVD player but a ridiculously good CD player, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online