Wammer
May 17, 2020
Essex
AKA
Gaz
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello All,

I'm a silver shoe box and Kent Engineering Foundry box freak living in the noisier part of Essex. Just joined to hopefully bump gums with folk that know more about this 2 channel stuff than I do.

I'm currently enjoying Pink Floyd, just listening to albums created about the same time as I. A good part of the lockdown perhaps?

Gaz

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Welcome to the mad world of the 'Wam, Gaz. There's a Newbie thread in this section, introduce yourself over there (well done for completing your profile BTW, saves a lot of hassle when you ask questions later!).

Oh, and be prepared for everyone to give you completely conflicting advice about everything, while spending all your money and a load more besides. It's what we do best...  :D

Nearly bewildered

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 27, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Welcome to the mad world of the 'Wam, Gaz. There's a Newbie thread in this section, introduce yourself over there (well done for completing your profile BTW, saves a lot of hassle when you ask questions later!).

Oh, and be prepared for everyone to give you completely conflicting advice about everything, while spending all your money and a load more besides. It's what we do best...  :D
Oh and be sure to start a cables thread..that always goes down well! Oh another thing to bear in mind is the mods are mostly " old school " so say nice things about valves and flint knapping!  Oh one last thing.. PuritéAudio is the guru of all things hifi..and he is a man of few words..so its worth rumimating a while over his utterances..then a few days later after thinking carefully about what he said? The answer comes! We are very lucky to have such luminaries here..( i was on another forum where they knew nothing about a lot of things..too many chiefs and no Indians..but here we pass the pipe of peace..and we all have a good suck! Some of us suck harder than others! ) hope this helps a bit..🙃

MGTOW

MGTOW
Wammer
Feb 4, 2019
Poole, Dorset
AKA
Dave Wiley
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oh and be sure to start a cables thread..that always goes down well! Oh another thing to bear in mind is the mods are mostly " old school " so say nice things about valves and flint knapping!  Oh one last thing.. PuritéAudio is the guru of all things hifi..and he is a man of few words..so its worth rumimating a while over his utterances..then a few days later after thinking carefully about what he said? The answer comes! We are very lucky to have such luminaries here..( i was on another forum where they knew nothing about a lot of things..too many chiefs and no Indians..but here we pass the pipe of peace..and we all have a good suck! Some of us suck harder than others! ) hope this helps a bit..🙃
Good summing up, helps a young 'un find his feet.

Pink Floyd trivia question for you. Original 'Set the controls for the heart of the sun' as recorded on for the album Saucer full of secrets is unique. Why?

Answer here.. Only Floyd recording to feature all 5 members!

Reactions: Nearly bewildered

Big Fat Gaz

Big Fat Gaz (BFG)
Wammer
May 17, 2020
Essex
AKA
Gaz
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ha ha ha cables. Always a source of merriment. Best way to befriend a Mod isn't it? 

I'll keep an eye out for this pipes of piece thing.

Big Fat Gaz

Big Fat Gaz (BFG)
Wammer
May 17, 2020
Essex
AKA
Gaz
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good summing up, helps a young 'un find his feet.

Pink Floyd trivia question for you. Original 'Set the controls for the heart of the sun' as recorded on for the album Saucer full of secrets is unique. Why?

Answer here.. Only Floyd recording to feature all 5 members!
The only one with 5 members?

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A new member who mentions Pinkl Floyd in their fist post gets you points on the 'befriend a mod' scale. Well, from this one, though I should warn you that at least one mod is less than their biggest fan :D

As far as I know, that's the correct answer as well. Set the Controls is the only recorded track that has David Gilmour and Syd Barrett both playing.

Reactions: Big Fat Gaz

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A new member who mentions Pinkl Floyd in their fist post gets you points on the 'befriend a mod' scale. Well, from this one, though I should warn you that at least one mod is less than their biggest fan :D

As far as I know, that's the correct answer as well. Set the Controls is the only recorded track that has David Gilmour and Syd Barrett both playing.
Ahem... and one ordinary poster. Whenever I hear the name Pink Floyd my fist hits a post.

• Haha
Reactions: newlash09

MGTOW

MGTOW
Wammer
Feb 4, 2019
Poole, Dorset
AKA
Dave Wiley
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Quite well known apparently, but I only found this out quite recently.

Odd really as I have actually seen the band with Syd Barrett, 1968 possibly. Big fan but gave up after 'Wish you were here'.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Everyone has their own tases and opinions, thankfully.

Given the choice, I'd put Meddle and Division Bell as my favourites and Dark Side a long way down the list.

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wow!  There is not one song you like?  Dark side of the moon is one the greatest records ever made..
I only made that comment because of a typo error.

Have Dark Side Of The Moon, but in the 10 years I've owned it I've probably only played 2-3 times. I'm not a big fan of Prog Rock in general. There are a few exceptions but...

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not to turn this into a Pink Floyd thread but one of my wife's favourites is 'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like . . . . '
Dear God, please protect me from the overwhelming desire to make the obvious comments. Thank you :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: greybeard

Nearly bewildered

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 27, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Everyone has their own tases and opinions, thankfully.

Given the choice, I'd put Meddle and Division Bell as my favourites and Dark Side a long way down the list.
I try to listen to dark side of the moon at least every ten years.. So when that lyrics appears " ten years have got behind you"..i then realise indeed ten years are behind me and have achieved nothing! Much the same as the previous time I listened to this album..but on the upside? One day i will be dead and won't have to be reminded by ' rog' that I'm a feckless sheep! Lol

• Haha
Reactions: greybeard

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are comments hear that you may find that you quickly agree or disagree with; maybe some but maybe not all depending on what you believe in. There are some strong views on here across the spectrum but lots of experienced people from digital to LP.

Last edited by a moderator:

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I try to listen to dark side of the moon at least every ten years.. So when that lyrics appears " ten years have got behind you"..i then realise indeed ten years are behind me and have achieved nothing! Much the same as the previous time I listened to this album..but on the upside? One day i will be dead and won't have to be reminded by ' rog' that I'm a feckless sheep! Lol
TBH, though, most of the tracks from DSOTM are long enough to grow a beard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles