Expensive cables for expensive systems ?

Bodgit

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2019
Woking
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All cables are different so all will have a different sound signature; they will take away different amounts/type of SQ.

Whether you can hear a difference is debatable.

Whether any difference you can hear is better or worse, is debatable.

I've got some stupidly expensive cables in my system, I could sell them for £££ and replace with something cheaper to pocket a small fortune but I haven't done so yet. Don't know why, its illogical.

Each to their own, people can do what they like with their own money. It seems crazy to me to spend £££ on cable when that money could be better spent upgrading core components but I guess once you get to a certain price point, its all and only about very subtle differences and cables can make a very subtle difference.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I swap all cables before playing anything, according to the precise database I have compiled over the years. A while ago some wit suggested I buy an amp with tone controls but where's the fun and dedication in that?

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m a bit OTT when it comes to cables ,, I can’t bear to see them hanging down a rack or running across a floor .

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My speaker cables are the huge multicore devices used for connecting up speaker arrays at concerts …..when your connecting up 4 drivers per side etc ‘fancy stuff’ is a stupid cost - and guess what no one at Stoke either noticed or mentioned them 😂😂😂😂😂

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I discarded all the aerials in my house as my hifi cables pick up everything within 100 miles. Perhaps I should get cheaper ones.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Possibly a tad confused over the 10 per cent guidance.
Yes, I did mention this to him… He said he generally follows the 10% rule but not with these amazing cables.

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A friend of mine has just replaced an expensive cable with Klotz 4mm. He claims that it is both sonically superior (and he has used a range of expensive speaker cables) and constructed to a higher standard (he terminates himself). By that, I don't mean that he was so shocked that he did away with himself, I meant that he fits bananas to his own cables. By that, I don't mean the yellow fruit...
Meanwhile, I have another friend who is a big advocate avocado of uber-expensive cables from MIT, I think.
Not sure if I've fixed this for you and your fruity friend or not.

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Its claimed that many systems do not benefit from the use of expensive cables looms because they are not high resolution enough or, simply put, just not good enough to reveal the differences.

Is there any truth in this statement ?
It's claimed by whom?

The use of the word "loom" suggests an acute vulnerability to marketing. I think it was Nordost who first started talking nonsense about the synergies between interconnects, speaker cables and power cables. Or was it HiFi+? EIther way, beware.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Wams coming up 18, perhaps it will grow out of these pointless cable threads once it’s an adult!

Cheers BB
Haha, more likely we all will (rightly) continue to make an adult accommodation for them.

I do not wish to take this simile any further...

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Actually not… I don’t think he was enthusing about Nordost for years because he knew one day he end up working for them; I just remember the “reviews” (what most newspapers would call advertorials!) banging on about system synergy and how some sort of sonic meta-effect occurred when all cables were from the same manufacturer or even the same range (eg. Blue Heaven). Utter rot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.