Expensive cables for expensive systems ?

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It was interesting last year to have three amps two pairs of speakers and three sets of speaker cables at the same time. Depending on the amp and speaker combination a cable change made an obvious difference. Atlas cables with a Quad amp or the QAcoustics was too warm and a bit of a mush and so Tellurium worked better with these. With the Audio Research and ATCs either cable worked well.

Cambs12

Apr 11, 2010
Cambridgeshire
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Actually not… I don’t think he was enthusing about Nordost for years because he knew one day he end up working for them; I just remember the “reviews” (what most newspapers would call advertorials!) banging on about system synergy and how some sort of sonic meta-effect occurred when all cables were from the same manufacturer or even the same range (eg. Blue Heaven). Utter rot.
You're being kind. It was embarrassing tbh. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

Reactions: TheFlash

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It depends, which is the annoying thing about cables. Do they make life-changing differences, probably not, but musically significant, can do. If I have spent tens of thousands on a top system then using thin cheap copper cables is totally wrong. If you have a less expensive system then using Nordost Odin II throughout is also wrong. But using cheap cables does not mean that cables sound worse. For example, Gothic Audio pure silver cables are not expensive and it takes a far, far better (expensive ?) cable to sound significantly better. Same for Puritan mains cables.

Most cable companies will allow you to listen at home (Distance Selling Regs) and if within 14 days they do nothing, or not enough, send them back and that's it. Why all the hectoring when it is easy enough to try yourself?

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Does someone want to loan me some fancy speaker cables and I'll happily report if I can hear a difference Vs my £100 AliExpress nordost copy cables?

I think my system can be consider high end (see my sig).

Hell I can even record and post up two audio files for A/B comparison.

nomore landings

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2018
Dawson's Field
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
It's claimed by whom?

The use of the word "loom" suggests an acute vulnerability to marketing. I think it was Nordost who first started talking nonsense about the synergies between interconnects, speaker cables and power cables. Or was it HiFi+? EIther way, beware.
Agree. Definitely marketing hype, imho This was a loom in my profession:

Loom

Metatron

Aurally Satisfied
Wammer
Jan 15, 2009
Remote
AKA
Varies by deed poll
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I prefer a slow blow type myself 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
Depends on the size of load. If the load is blown, the result could be very messy. Something that can handle a huge surge is always a plus.

Y ou could use surge protection, but I find the emotional involvement isn't as thrilling.

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Of course the flip side of the coin is that if you CAN remember how much you paid, it was too much...🤣🤣🤣🤣
Not really, the connectors cost that and it's pure silver cabling. The whole thing was home made and the parts cost three times as much then. The only speaker cables it didn't see off were Transparent Reference XL, I sold them to pay for a car bill for my ex-wife and her Shogun (new clutch was £2K).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.