Charles Dickens.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

He's still the best. Full stop.

Jasper

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
In the country, , Un
Cormac McCarthy (Blood Meridian & Suttree) not so keen on the later McCarthy lite stuff.

E Annie Proulx - particulary the early stuff (Postcards & Shipping News)

Tibor Fisher

Another vote for Hardy's poems although haven't read the novels for many years I don't agree that he's not a great novelist too.

Hermann Hesse - particularly Glass Bead Game.

Paul Smith - Annie

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like Flashman too.... but haven't read the last one yet - what's wrong with it?

Flashman in the Great Game is probably my favourite.

Glens of Antrim

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Norn Iron, , United
musicbox wrote:

I like Flashman too.... but haven't read the last one yet - what's wrong with it? Flashman in the Great Game is probably my favourite.
IMO GMF's allowed his grumpy old reactionary persona to infect the book. There's also a slight feeling of it being Flashy by numbers. Plus I want him to write the American Civil War book before he's too old
wink.png

Think my favourite book is Flashman at the Charge. Farting himself back onto his horse during the Charge of the Light Bridge;in GMF's hands laugh out loud funny.

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
David Gemmell

Terry Pratchett

And if I really need a touch of real life then John Grisham (although very samey these days)

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jasper wrote:

Cormac McCarthy (Blood Meridian & Suttree) not so keen on the later McCarthy lite stuff.
Suttree - what a great book, just got his latest but also like yourself not really enjoyed some of his later ones.

Jasper

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
In the country, , Un
griffo104 wrote:

Jasper wrote:
Suttree - what a great book, just got his latest but also like yourself not really enjoyed some of his later ones.
I read "No Country for Old Men" over the summer and just thought, well yeah, that was good, if judged by anybody else's standards but when you know what he's capable of, I just thought he's really not that bothered about writing great books anymore. Shame.

M

murray johnson

Paul Auster, William Boyd & David Mitchell (at the moment!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online