What’s your favourite source in your system?

marko

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 20, 2007
N.Yorkshire.
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Our favourite source is our only source: Audio Note CD 2.1x/11. Very nice it is too!

Attachments

• 1EA1E192-AC7B-40EF-B8D2-008195C20C12.jpeg
    1EA1E192-AC7B-40EF-B8D2-008195C20C12.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
Reactions: bigrod

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
If I turn my DAC on, I won't get any music. I could list my DACs but I don't regard those as sources. I regard my streamer, my cd player or computer, as the source, as they control what music is played. A turntable is a source.
What is inside a cd player, yes you've guessed it, a dac, giving you a clue that it is part of the source. Because you separate the streamer/CDT and dac does not alter the fact. Similar to an amplifier, you can have a pre-power or intergrated. Of course a turntable is a source, it's made up of different parts doing different jobs as per my previous post.
SOURCE/AMPLIFICATION/SPEAKERS.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If I turn my DAC on, I won't get any music. I could list my DACs but I don't regard those as sources. I regard my streamer, my cd player or computer, as the source, as they control what music is played. A turntable is a source.
Well, if the file or CD are the source, then the vinyl, tape or FM are also the source.

• Confused
Reactions: StingRay and Linear

rocky raccoon

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2010
Cambridge
AKA
Iestos de la Mancha
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree with DUVET My DC modified Michell badged Transcriptors built Hydraulic Reference Turntable (with 3 oak cone feet), Hadcock 242 silver plus arm (used to develop the cartridge) with XTC counterweight sporting a Cartridgeman Musicmaster cartridge. Modified Croft Vitale phono stage I would include in this pure silver wiring/phono leads & the very heavy paving stone bolted to 2 brick walls in an alcove it sits on as none of the above would work as well as they do.

I love my other sources but the HR does it for me.
The Hadcock is a bloody good arm. Underrated.

• Love
Reactions: John (big)

rocky raccoon

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2010
Cambridge
AKA
Iestos de la Mancha
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some CD's are pretty good. But some records are magical.
I'd like to experiment with streaming (watching a lot of 'how to' threads as I'm no use with that stuff}, and I'm getting a DAB antenna soon so I can listen to Radio 6 music and keep my finger on the pulse, as it were......

Reactions: Carrington

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, if the file or CD are the source, then the vinyl, tape or FM are also the source.
The source is what it is played on, ie cd player, turntable, tape deck, streamer, computer etc. I never said the file or cd were the source. The DAC comes after the source.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What is inside a cd player, yes you've guessed it, a dac, giving you a clue that it is part of the source. Because you separate the streamer/CDT and dac does not alter the fact. Similar to an amplifier, you can have a pre-power or intergrated. Of course a turntable is a source, it's made up of different parts doing different jobs as per my previous post.
SOURCE/AMPLIFICATION/SPEAKERS.
Some cd players and streamers don't have a DAC. Listing a DAC as the source is very misleading. It like saying a phono amp. Is the source.

So if I list my DAC, does that tell you what is playing the music?

Last edited:
  • Mind Blown
Reactions: antonio66

bigfish786

Wammer
Wammer
May 15, 2013
Yorkshire
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It’s a close call, I enjoy both CD and Vinyl replay. Since fitting a Shibata stylus on the Clearaudio Virtuoso cartridge it’s got a bit tighter, but I’d still say my Luxman CD player has the edge on the Marantz turntable.

Reactions: chris_bates1974

Linear

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 7, 2022
Lancashire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It’s a close call, I enjoy both CD and Vinyl replay. Since fitting a Shibata stylus on the Clearaudio Virtuoso cartridge it’s got a bit tighter, but I’d still say my Luxman CD player has the edge on the Marantz turntable.
You see, it's the stylus your listening to. Not the turn table.

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And there's me thinking that Shibata was a kind of Italian bread... :unsure: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Jules_S

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The brain can interfere with having a clear judgement sometimes. Most of the time actually.
Daddies Brown Source however, has consistently beaten off the competition for the entirety of my life. That's some Source.
It's all about the flavours we like isn't it ? ;)

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It depends on the recording - if it is an analogue recording then LP is my favourite source (as they invariably sound better than the CD remasters etc). If it is digital then it depends on the era of production (if loudness war days then it probably sounds better on LP).

I am a lazy bugger though so I prefer the convenience of CDs

Pressure

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Sheffield, , United
AKA
Paul
  1. Music files from iTunes / Apple Music (not streaming)on a Mac - preferably a playlist of old garage or grime radio rips
  2. Spotify playlists, on a Mac - usually d’n’b rollers, 80s soul, weird 00s hip hop
  3. Technics SL1200 - playing old dubstep , tech step and dancehall 12s / 45s you can’t get on digital

Malky142266

Wammer
Nov 20, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is a turntable that I would love to try. The tonearm looks a bit Naff but I would think in reality it is very good indeed. I have a high end Acoustic Signature Thunder with O.L. Agile tonearm which is awasome....but in reality how much better than something like the Thorens... I just feel I have spent far too much money and may sell on in a few months. The Arm alone was £10000. its a 12 inch.

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is a turntable that I would love to try. The tonearm looks a bit Naff but I would think in reality it is very good indeed. I have a high end Acoustic Signature Thunder with O.L. Agile tonearm which is awasome....but in reality how much better than something like the Thorens... I just feel I have spent far too much money and may sell on in a few months. The Arm alone was £10000. its a 12 inch.
I've stopped at a Brinkmann Bardo + 12" Enterprise mk4, but think I will be moving it on in the new year in favour of my 401 & Jelco 750D once I've had the 401 replinthed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online