• Total voters

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another poll to fluff up this section. Choose your favourite.

For the relative neophytes, the following pics may assist your choices.
wink.png

anne_sophie_mutter.jpg
Anne-Sophie Mutter

210090_kiso.jpg

(L-R) Viktoria Mullova, Sarah Chang, Linda Lampenius, Anne Akiko Meyers, Vanessa Mae

itwi04hh.jpg
midori.jpg
cheeyun.jpg

(L-R) Hilary Hahn, Midori, Chee Yun

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here is one more big player I missed out.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
Kyung-Wha Chung

I'm not fully myself.
38786-6.gif.132cf51c49b8cd26f08985f56fa67647.gif

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hilary Hahn - quite enjoyed the couple of recordings I have from her, young, quite serious and learning all the time.

Vanessa Mae ? Surely some mistake - nice to see you found a picture of her in full 'Classical' pose

Why only women, where's the men ? Or is that a poll for antoher day ?

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Griffo, I don't think a poll is sufficient to list all the great male violinists in recording history! Perhaps you can try your hand at a specialized poll featuring great male violinists born before 1975(?) I'd love to see who you come up with and I'll be the first to vote. SS

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
how about just violinists, never mind male/female.

Anyway on the poll above.. ASM for me.... beauty, brains and maturity too. She's even older than me - and a lot better looking.

Did you know that Viktoria Mullova has a child by Claudio Abbado?

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
musicbox wrote:

how about just violinists, never mind male/female.Anyway on the poll above.. ASM for me.... beauty, brains and maturity too. She's even older than me - and a lot better looking.
Bit odd for a guy to compare his looks with that of a female fiddler.
biggrin.png

A unisex violinists poll? You go, MB. Just make sure David Oistrakh is on it.

Did you know that Viktoria Mullova has a child by Claudio Abbado?
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
:shock::shock:I am so out of touch with classical goss! Are there any other love childs I should be aware of?:Not Sure:

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Knew about the Mullova/Abbado love child.

And Mutter is married to Andre Previn - how did that happen ???

My knowledge of violinsits is, sad to say, minimal. However just got a Dvorak violin concerto with Josef Suk as the soloist and it has been getting a lot airplay just recently.

Although do enjoy the Thomas Zehetmair (if I've spelt that right) Szymanovski (definitely not spelt that correctly) violin concertos with Rattle/CBSO and his quartet in the Schumann on ECM.

superwoman

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
The publicity photos of these women all have one thing in common. They are all spruced up to the hilt to showcase their feminine attractiveness. None of them are even in the least bit overweight. It makes you wonder if looks are the number one criteria for a woman violinist to have a successful commercial career. I am sure for every one of these women above there are at least a dozen plain jane violinists who are just as talented but fail to make it in the spotlight because they lack the glamour. That is pop music marketing for you.

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
superwoman wrote:

The publicity photos of these women all have one thing in common. They are all spruced up to the hilt to showcase their feminine attractiveness. None of them are even in the least bit overweight. It makes you wonder if looks are the number one criteria for a woman violinist to have a successful commercial career. I am sure for every one of these women above there are at least a dozen plain jane violinists who are just as talented but fail to make it in the spotlight because they lack the glamour. That is pop music marketing for you.
that's true. Not one would be a CREDIBLE OPERA SINGER
wink.png
:sw:

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
One very good female violinist missing from the list who doesn't quite fit the glossy photo brigade is Rachel Podger - her vivaldi La Stravaganza on channel classics is excellent - and it's on sacd
biggrin.png

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would love to vote in the poll, but for me I'd rather judge on their playing abilities and musical interpretations, rather than who is the best looking.

Lucifer

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
, ,
Why is the photo of Anne-Sophie Mutter (Frau Previn) so much bigger than all the others and why is Rachel Podger not in the list?

superwoman

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
Lucifer wrote:

Why is the photo of Anne-Sophie Mutter (Frau Previn) so much bigger than all the others and why is Rachel Podger not in the list?
Because the SStarter used something other than his brains to compile the list?:sw:

Art, how would you rate Ms Podger's Bach Partitas?Worthy of the best versions? I am curious.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
superwoman wrote:

No wonder at all, only looks and sex could sell the sort of drivel Vanessa Mae et al push out.
tongue.png
:p

Lucifer

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
, ,
superwoman wrote:

Lucifer wrote:
Because the SStarter used something other than his brains to compile the list?:sw:

Art, how would you rate Ms Podger's Bach Partitas?Worthy of the best versions? I am curious.
No hesitation in recommending it- I would say that it is better than Viktoria Mullova's recording and it has the advantage (at a price) because it is a double CD withBach Sonatas as well. It will not be wasted moneyif youlike Bach'sSonatas and Partitas (considered by some to bea huge test of the violinist's skills and powers of personal interpretation). Go for it superwoman.Like Griffo said, her La Stravaganza by Vivaldi is also a superb recording and well worth having in any collection of baroque music.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online