Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why Not... its good.
smile.png

Only yesterday I did the same thing myself, bought a complete set of all Bach's music for organ, simply because it was there like Mt Everest on the shelf in HMV (cheap though). 20+ hours of it.

U

Umberto

I like Shostakovich. One of my favourite composers.

If you like the russian composers such as Tchiakovsky and Rachmaninov you will probably like this.

P

purplepleaser

I will let this have a spin first. I have not got a clue just took a punt .Came highly recommended.cheers for the others

Lee:)

wolfgang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
Glasgow, ,
Got that Bernard Haitink Box set a few year ago. It is one of the better complete collection around and one that you should enjoy for a long time.

Having said that since the 11 was one of my favourite I also bought the Rostropovich's 2002 version since it was cheap. The difference in tempo totally change the meaning of the work. It seems he is working his way around the whole cycle slowly with LSO. Hope he manage to complete them one day.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006C2D8/qid=1129445495/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_10_6/202-7035186-6750265

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I couldn't believe the hype around that Rostropovich 11th on LSO live, because frankly I found it dreadful - totally lacking in tension.

Last year I acquired a bargain complete set on Brilliant Classic, the WDR orchestra (Cologne Radio) conducted by Rudolf Barshai - an oldfriend and collaborator of the composer. Its got excellent sound and generally great performances. The 11th in it is superb, lifts the agitprop music up to the same level as the best of his symphonies (IMO - 4, 6, 10 and 15).

I've heard most of the Haitink set over the years, its generally very verygood, but I would supplement it with Karajan's 1967 10th to it , and maybe one of Bernstein's 5ths.

P

purplepleaser

Hi GofA, I hope so this is a blind purchase.Plus first toe in the classical pond to speak of. £6 per disc not bad really.

Glens of Antrim

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Norn Iron, , United
Hi Lee,

Good luck with thesymphonies - I'll be interested to hear what you think of them. I've been thinking of dipping my toe into Shostakovich, but tbh have been put off by his perceived 'difficulty'.

Regards GofA

P

purplepleaser

Glens of Antrim wrote:

Hi Lee,Good luck with thesymphonies - I'll be interested to hear what you think of them. I've been thinking of dipping my toe into Shostakovich, but tbh have been put off by his perceived 'difficulty'.

Regards GofA
I will let you know. Ihave only two classicalcompilations. And one was bought for the British Airways advert music.

I will try and listen and give you a good review but it may take a while.

P

purplepleaser

I will try and do each of thesymphonies seperately. I am not the best a typing and the use of fancy words(thick me). I will try my best. I may struggle with this being my first step into the classical side of things.

wolfgang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
Glasgow, ,
Musicbox,

Is this the one you are refering to? Might look it up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B000067F6C/102-3637472-9801729?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Well, as a Karajan fanatic it would have been wonderful it he did try his hand a few more of these great symphonies.

Recently I received an email from Linn that the RSNO/Lazarev also have recorded the 11 and available for sale. I have not had the opportunity to follow most of their Shostakovich performances including this one. If you have heard this, what do you think?

Purplepleaser,

Looking forwad to hear what you think of Shostakovich. This boxset has a few CDs that were responsible for inducing severe upgraditis when I first heard them with my previous older toys.

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
wolfgang wrote:

Musicbox,Is this the one you are refering to? Might look it up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B000067F6C/102-3637472-9801729?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Well, as a Karajan fanatic it would have been wonderful it he did try his hand a few more of these great symphonies.

Recently I received an email from Linn that the RSNO/Lazarev also have recorded the 11 and available for sale. I have not had the opportunity to follow most of their Shostakovich performances including this one. If you have heard this, what do you think?
That's the one... it was available in UK for about £25, but haven't seen it in the shops for a while. An absolute bargain if you can find it.

No. 10 must have been about the only post 1945 music that Karajan performed... he claimed a special affinity for it. I am not much of a Karajan fan myself, but this is one of the dozen or so recordings he made out of hundreds that is special.

I haven't heard the RSNO/Lazarev 11th, but the G'phone review wasn't too flattering. I find Lazarev, and the RSNO,very hit-or-miss - I saw him do the 4th with the RSNO twice, once in 1993 which was superb, and again in 2000 or 2001, and it was dreadful, orchestra was falling asleep. A couple of weeks later saw them do Mahler 9 with Benjamin Zander, that was the best I have ever heard them, stonking.

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
purplepleaser wrote:

Hi GofA, I hope so this is a blind purchase.Plus first toe in the classical pond to speak of. £6 per disc not bad really.Lee:)
That's a very very brave first toe in the water!

Shostakovich isn't always very easy to listen to, can get difficult, dissonant, ironic and a bit mental. I hope it doesn't put you off!

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
musicbox wrote:

purplepleaser wrote:
Hi GofA, I hope so this is a blind purchase.Plus first toe in the classical pond to speak of. £6 per disc not bad really.Lee:)
That's a very very brave first toe in the water!

Shostakovich isn't always very easy to listen to, can get difficult, dissonant, ironic and a bit mental. I hope it doesn't put you off!
My thoughts exactly. Some newcomers to classical music can take to Shostakovich like a duck to water, but usually, he isn't the first choice amongst other composers to get into classical music with.

This is what I feel like after a Shosty session.
suicide1.gif

Goodluck, Lee.
14-00000002.gif.828495f168ee75f09f640fa4f13bd3a2.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles