Floor Standing Speakers vs Stand Mount

The_Krell

Wammer
Sep 13, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Floor standers or large speakers have a larger scale and a larger impact, both in sound stage and bass. Probably the bass extension could be achieved with the addition of a sub woofer, but it is really the scale that stands out. A larger vibrating cabinet just dissipates sound over a larger area. A bookshelf by comparison will sound smaller, if that makes any sense.
No sense at all.
Firstly one doesn't want a vibrating cabinet as this produces all sorts of issues.
Secondly sound stage is a product of room interaction, speaker placement and how good the drivers are and their relationship with, predominantly, the front face of the speaker. All things being equal a stand mount vs a floorstander will image virtually identically.
Thirdly floorstanders or standmounts rated at the same lvl of sensitivity and impedence and with the same drivers will produce virtually identical impact and volume. Granted the floorstanders with have more internal volume and therefore can produce lower bass but this comes with it's own problems if say the price point is the same.

Reactions: newlash09

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No sense at all.
Firstly one doesn't want a vibrating cabinet as this produces all sorts of issues.
Secondly sound stage is a product of room interaction, speaker placement and how good the drivers are and their relationship with, predominantly, the front face of the speaker. All things being equal a stand mount vs a floorstander will image virtually identically.
Thirdly floorstanders or standmounts rated at the same lvl of sensitivity and impedence and with the same drivers will produce virtually identical impact and volume. Granted the floorstanders with have more internal volume and therefore can produce lower bass but this comes with it's own problems if say the price point is the same.
Well, I thought all cabinets vibrate...please correct me if iam wrong

Ady

Shoebox Ady. United by a love of music & equipment
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So you've gone from one manufacturer to another with a very different design philsophy and because you prefer the Klipsch and they happen to be floorstanders vs the Dali stand mounts it seems that you've decided that floorstanders must be better than stand mounts....really?
Well, that was just one example, over the years I've also had Spendor floorstanders, Dali Opticon 6 floorstanders and Hybrid electrostatic floorstanders, plus Kudos Super 20's? Floorstanders in my room. I preferred them all to the Dali standmounts.
Cheers Ady

The_Krell

Wammer
Sep 13, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, I thought all cabinets vibrate...please correct me if iam wrong
They all do but it's by how much. As a general principle the bigger the cabinet the worse it will be. Which is why as an example Magico and Wilson spend a huge amount of time, money and research on controlling and reducing vibrations.

The_Krell

Wammer
Sep 13, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, that was just one example, over the years I've also had Spendor floorstanders, Dali Opticon 6 floorstanders and Hybrid electrostatic floorstanders, plus Kudos Super 20's? Floorstanders in my room. I preferred them all to the Dali standmounts.
Cheers Ady
Ah ok. (y) It just appeared from your post that you'd reached a conclusion based on just that one example.

Reactions: Ady

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They all do but it's by how much. As a general principle the bigger the cabinet the worse it will be. Which is why as an example Magico and Wilson spend a huge amount of time, money and research on controlling and reducing vibrations.
So do you think Iam wrong in assuming that the vibrating cabinet is dissipating the same sound being produced by the drivers at a lot of different points, along the cabinet, instead of the sound just coming from the driver itself.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
FWIW,
I went from a top quality pair of Dali Epicon 2's mounted on top quality Track Audio precision stands to Klipsch Cornwall 3's. In the same room with the same equipment feeding them, I found the floorstanders far superior, bigger soundstage and just more effortless. I would never go back to standmounts unless the room was really tiny.
Cheers Ady
Are they even floorstanders? They look too low. I see some people use them on stands around 1 foot high.

Ady

Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Are they even floorstanders? They look too low. I see some people use them on stands around 1 foot high.
Maybe you are thinking of Klipsch forte? Cornwall 3's are definitely floorstanders, the same external dimensions as my 4's.
Cheers Ady

lowendall

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2009
Scotland
AKA
happy enough
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No good reason fo

Very large diameter woofers are generally not so good. There comes a point where the size of the cone becomes too large for the coil to effectively propel the cone back and forth up to 200 times a second. The better solution is either twin 10" drivers (as several of my previous speakers have featured) or twin 12", but these must have coils of at least 4" in diamer to work as a non-flabby piston. My present speakers use twin 12" with big coils (this makes then costly) and all these twin-woofer speakers offer far better (in terms of clatity and timing) bass than my earlier systems with a single 15" driver.
from reading this is reads like you like a goodsolid bass end toyour sounds, lovely i live ina rather smallmodern house so sadly, idont have the room as i am inthesmallest half roomat the end of the house, but i still got quiet bigspeakers shoe horned in there, booming along, nicely,.

Reactions: Ady

Ady

Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No I'm talking about Cornwall 3s. Here they are:

1700784724977.jpeg
Yes I recognise that picture, I took it. They were not mounted on stands. I'm not sure of the point you are trying to make?
Cheers Ady

Ady

Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just saying they look low and some users put them on stands.
👍 Fair enough, I've not seen Cornwalls on stands myself but you live and learn 😉
Cheers Ady

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.