Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
South East London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What are the Pros and Cons of both?

What do folk prefer?

I noticed that Castle Richmond 3s used to be front ported but the 3i incarnation is rear ported, why did they change?

Testure

Clean gloves hide dirty hands
Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Generally the rule of thumb is that rear ported speakers need to be further away from walls that front firing. But it really boils down to individual speakers.

Testy

istari knight

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2005
South downs
AKA
James
I prefer rear ported but in a small room i would go for front ported as they are less boomy in the bass region........If i was given the choice of any design i'd go for sealed box speakers with big drivers but thats something best left for another thread !

E

earl of sodbury

My experience is that preferability depends on the room; for my micro-habitations front-ported is always better.

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My Arts are rear ported and managed not to embarrass themselves in your room though...

E

earl of sodbury

kennyk wrote:

My Arts are rear ported and managed not to embarrass themselves in your room though...
And they were damned good; the Neats were both rear and base ported and worked well as well, but I keep preferring front-ported - sound faster and don't tend to smear.

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
a return trip becons...
wink.png

U

Umberto

My Arts are rear ported as are the Stilettos and Stiletto 6's but seem to work well close to a rear wall. The Stilettos especially suit close to wall siting.

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
I heard a couple of front ported speakers last week and found them sluggish and inconsistent.

Currently have closed design - are these in theory better at timing ?

What is general minimum distance for placing rear ported speakers at rear wall, or is it really so variable?

hifinut

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2006
Ramsgate Southeast K
AKA
Paul
Davewhityetagain wrote:

why have a port ? :)some speakers don't
The port if tuned correctly will double the bass available fron a given enclosure size but suppose it's all upto driver quality and cabinet damping too look at the small Proac's for example they are renouned to produce bass that belies the phisical dimentions along with many other monitors out there.
biggrin.png

Ps I use and love front ported speakers
party4.gif.af93715a971cd102256f35cade2c9c1e.gif

nsherin

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2005
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not owned any rear-ported speakers myself. I'd be inclined to go for front-ported, in the sense that they are less fussy about positioning, plus annoying any neighbours or people in rooms adjacent with bass boom against walls.

harv

Hard working slacker
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
nsherin wrote:

Not owned any rear-ported speakers myself. I'd be inclined to go for front-ported, in the sense that they are less fussy about positioning, plus annoying any neighbours or people in rooms adjacent with bass boom against walls.
On a bit of a tangent, if you had your rear speakers say at a 45degree angle to the wall would that effect still happen:Not Sure:

nixon_fiend

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2005
Leeds UK, ,
my speakers are front ported.. but not port loaded .. pseudo TL design - the port is mainly to increase sensitivity I believe.

Bass is quick and light .. and I'll take anyone on for timing :dude: :force:

amaze.jpg

Borats Baby

Wammer
Wammer
May 2, 2006
Warrington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My old conways are front ported and produce plenty of rich bass. I have to say though, I have no preference because I have owned rear ported and side ported speakers and all have been nice... just in different sorts of ways.

Standmounts are better rear ported I reckon, and floorstanders are better front ported. IMO

Each to his own !!

I prefer the idea of bass being fired at you (the listener) as apose to a wall (who isnt listening).

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
PeteVid wrote:

I noticed that Castle Richmond 3s used to be front ported but the 3i incarnation is rear ported, why did they change?
Pros and cons ? Well they both sound good to me, I have rear ported Castle Cliftons about the same size as the Richmond 3is and they have more bass than my Richmond 2s which are bigger and front ported. Same with the Diapason's I have rear ported and a lot of welly when sited against a wall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.