Good solid state pre-amp with decent built in mc phono stage

windup600

Wammer
Wammer
May 6, 2006
London
AKA
Ben APFEL
Does anybody know of a decent solid state pre-amp which has a decent in built mc phono stage in it that actually works well or does one always need to buy an outboard? Is it worth saving up for a Music First pre amp and then if I should do this, what phono stage goes well with this pre amp? Thanks

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I know I'm biased
wink.png
but Exposure always did some very good pre-amps with excellent phono stages. You could search out a used XVII (self-powered) or if one comes up (mine may well do in a month or so if the valve thing works out) an XI with IX power supply.

Just a thought - I know what I like music/sound wise but my product knowledge ain't that vast.
wink.png

U

Umberto

Bow does a pre amp with built in phono stage....Leonard Smalls has one.

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There might be something hi-end japanese that fits the bill - Luxman or Accuphase that sort of thing but won't be cheap. Also some older Krell Preamps have phono stages.

Why not valves? There are easily obtainable options from Audio Research SP range or EAR 864.

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
Musical Fidelity A308CR, the phono stage in that is great for an inbuilt unit.

However for the real deal a well matching step up transformer mated to a good RIAA stage is what you need to go for.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Naim, Meridian 500 series.

If i was a moving coil man I would go for an offboard and then buy the best line stage pre you can find. The reduction in cost of production through not having to build in a phono stage usually means more for your money.

Uzzy

yoda900

Wammer Plus
Sep 20, 2005
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
YBA 1

No remote andwith two volume controls for left and right to keep chanels completely seperate.

Offboard power supply with umbilical to keep tranny away from the pre.

MM stage built in with dedicated and matching plug in MC transformer in its own shielded box that plugs directly onto the RCA inputs on the back of thr pre for the MM stage so no need for extra cables. Just plug the arm cables into the box.

Built when vinyl was the main source so optimised as a vinyl pre.

Built like an old Krell in build and finish, subtle grey/blue anodized (apart from the gold badge)

Looks like new and cost about £3K in 1988 ! compared favourably to the Rowland Model 2. which was still a top model in 1995.

M

Mr Coherent

Belles A28 or Belcanto pre2p both are superb, extremely musical, dynamic, natural and involving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.