Got bored...

Wenge1

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 19, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The CD transport lives in the second rack, just under the GL75, with a Linn arm and an AT OC9-XML. That I hadn't put the stylus guard on. Before continually leaning past it to swap cables. You know what's coming, don't you :cry:

I haven't done that for years, so I suppose I'm long overdue one. Ah well. I've often wondered what an Ortofon Black would sound like on the Lenco, and it seems I'm soon to find out.

Silver linings to clouds or should that an Ortofon Black lining ........ ;)

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Slightly off topic but have you tried the Isoacoustics Gaia on the speakers yet @rabski ?
Sadly, not yet. I'm mad with work and personal stuff, so any hifi fix has to be a ten minute job at most. CD was easy. Doing the speakers will mean shifting and assessing, so I'm waiting until I can give it at least half a day.

Reactions: nak

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sadly, not yet. I'm mad with work and personal stuff, so any hifi fix has to be a ten minute job at most. CD was easy. Doing the speakers will mean shifting and assessing, so I'm waiting until I can give it at least half a day.
Always excuses 😂

• Haha
Reactions: DomT

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Slight fly in the ointment this weekend, need to send the Lector away for a repair as the disc spin motor is not engaging. Did take the cover off to check if a drive belt had broken, but it has no belt, it's a direct drive via the motor spindle. Using a separate magnet to engage the top-loading door switch, laser mechanism works (red light + moves up and down) and if manually spin the disc it does the track listing but once top loading cover is closed as normal nothing except display showing no disc message. Aargh!!!
All resolved, and a very quick turn round by the workshop guys at Emporium hifi (Lector agents) sent via courier Monday, recieved Wednesday, fixed and shipped back Thursday, received today (Friday).

Motor was shot, but instead of swapping it over they pulled the whole assembly (motor, platter, laser, laser sled, electronics pack) and replaced all with a brand new assembly. So I have virtually a new cdp, which should see me out as the laser etc should be good for 15+ years.

6000CDT/Pimped BI Vs Lector is back on the menu for the BO.

Von Krolock

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Moving from a mass produced plastic 80's CD player coax output to a purpose-designed Meridian
200 into a 203 DAC .This was back in early 90's & was a formative experience.
Not boring at all - CD reproduction & how profoundly good it can sound is very interesting.

Reactions: Tony_J

Metatron

Aurally Satisfied
Wammer
Jan 15, 2009
Remote
AKA
Varies by deed poll
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@rabski Nobody's asked, so I thought I might as well...

Is the old Pioneer modded at all? These were a modders dream once. Plenty of space for all sorts.

I know Audiocom and others did clock upgrades, but I think Guido Tent of Tentlabs and now also co-founder of Grimm Audio did the best ones. I had a Pioneer PDS703 bought for modding purposes, but never got around to it and ended up disposing of it in a house move.

There's probably a fair bit to be eeked out the old stable platter system.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
More extended listen tomorrow night. Not really any expectation bias, but with a few hours on it, the vocals seem to have tightened up and shifted a little forwards. Odd really, but there you go. Mid-range is now on par with the Pioneer, though a touch 'rounder' so to speak. Everything else has grown a bit. The bass is still better and unchanged, but the depth has definitely increased. It's very pleasant indeed.

Uzzy, I agree, but to be fair, it's 'different but good'. The vinyl source is undeniably better. It's more even-handed, bigger and bolder, tonally cleaner on things like piano and strings, and more lifelike. However, this is a transport that's less than £400 new retail, and my cartridge alone originally retailed at more than three times that. Obviously there's a DAC, but then obviously there's a phono stage as well, and that isn't exactly bargain-basement components. And let's not forget a pair of Hashimoto step-up transformers.

To be fair, that the CDT comes close is more than praiseworthy.

Anyway, I'm waffling in the hope that I can bury a slight mishap in among all the text. The CD transport lives in the second rack, just under the GL75, with a Linn arm and an AT OC9-XML. That I hadn't put the stylus guard on. Before continually leaning past it to swap cables. You know what's coming, don't you :cry:

I haven't done that for years, so I suppose I'm long overdue one. Ah well. I've often wondered what an Ortofon Black would sound like on the Lenco, and it seems I'm soon to find out.
Most carts sound great on a Lenco.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@rabski Nobody's asked, so I thought I might as well...

Is the old Pioneer modded at all? These were a modders dream once. Plenty of space for all sorts.

I know Audiocom and others did clock upgrades, but I think Guido Tent of Tentlabs and now also co-founder of Grimm Audio did the best ones. I had a Pioneer PDS703 bought for modding purposes, but never got around to it and ended up disposing of it in a house move.

There's probably a fair bit to be eeked out the old stable platter system.
Apart from casework earthing (it was located right next to my SUT, so worthwhile) bog standard. Bear in mind though, purely used as a transport.

As for the GL75, if anything it seems happier with the Ortofon Black than it did with the OC9. It seems like a decent combination, as it's got the 'fun factor' by the bucketful. It lacks the ultimate detail and finesse of the 50ANV of course, but it's excellent for live rock recordings and the like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.