Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Hi guys,

Just bought an SME IV and I'd like a bit of info about fitting it to my Gyro SE. I definitely need a new arm plate which I guess is just an SME one obviously.

Does the armplate come with the bolts to fit arm to plate or the arm itself.. or neither?

Do I need the short standoffs also? I guess they're about £20.

I guess this pic explains most of it

7018.jpg

Anything else I need to worry about? Going from a Rega plate.

Can't wait! .. I must be an idiot! :minikev:

Pretty sure it's the forum's fault.

mnky

Wammer
Wammer
May 3, 2013
oooh arrrrrr
AKA
Mnky
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi guys, Just bought an SME IV and I'd like a bit of info about fitting it to my Gyro SE. I definitely need a new arm plate which I guess is just an SME one obviously.

Does the armplate come with the bolts to fit arm to plate or the arm itself.. or neither?

Do I need the short standoffs also? I guess they're about £20.

I guess this pic explains most of it

7018.jpg

Anything else I need to worry about? Going from a Rega plate.

Can't wait! .. I must be an idiot! :minikev:

Pretty sure it's the forum's fault.
Oh it is the Wam's fault ....will see us all on the street penniless .. with tinitus ....

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
The standoffs are used on all boards.

The SME plate is designed to be the correct mass so that the TT suspension works as intended - Gyro boards vary in mass depending on the chosen arm.

Doesn't come with arm mount bolts IIRC, at least mine didn't on the two occasions I've bought a Gyro with SME board.

Good choice BTW, the IV and Gyro are made for each other.

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Yeah I have standoffs on my rega board at present obviously but they are twice the height of those ones.

bosa

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2012
West Wales
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have an Orbe and went from Rega to SME IV (great choice BTW) and had no bolts. Got them direct from Michell for a few quid, email or phone them. Agree, standoffs are standard for both Rega and SME and the weight of the SME Armboard is designed to balance out the weight across the springs.

good luck

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
So the standoffs are the same ones? They definitely don't look like it. They seem to be about half the height.

Eh, I'll phone michell tomorrow.

edit: oh! maybe not, they are the same standoffs it seems, the SME plate is thinner though.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So the standoffs are the same ones? They definitely don't look like it. They seem to be about half the height. Eh, I'll phone michell tomorrow.

edit: oh! maybe not, they are the same standoffs it seems, the SME plate is thinner though.
You want to get the Tonearm De-Coupling Kit for SME and Graham 1.5 Tonearms which has plastic spacers instead of metal ones IIRC.

MrSammy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 25, 2009
Wirral & London,
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You want to get the Tonearm De-Coupling Kit for SME and Graham 1.5 Tonearms which has plastic spacers instead of metal ones IIRC.
+1. If you don't have the decoupling kit then get it now. If you do have it then get the new Earthing lead that the SME will need. Michell will sell you just this if that is all you need.

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
People are saying I need the sme decoupling kit and others are saying the rega standoffs are fine. Will order it just in case I guess :?

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
People are saying I need the sme decoupling kit and others are saying the rega standoffs are fine. Will order it just in case I guess :?
Yeah you may as well Shaun. I ordered the decoupling kit at the same time as my custom armboard for the Jelco arm last year. It's only £25 IIRC & summat you may as well fit, whilst you're swapping armboards. Although fitting it separately at a later date should offer any clues as to any difference it makes.

As my new board + the decoupling kit arrived the same day the Technoarm was posted to Snip of this Parrish & I manage to break one of the old standoffs I never got a chance to do a comparison. IMV though not doing it would be a missed opportunity, if you're not mad about constant fiddling. I believe the Linn fit standoffs are a different length to the Rega/SME ones.

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
That's the thing it's a brand new gyro with the plastic spacers and decoupling kit already. Apparently it's like 10mm spacers vs 12mm ones. Bleh fuck it I'll get them anyway.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's the thing it's a brand new gyro with the plastic spacers and decoupling kit already. Apparently it's like 10mm spacers vs 12mm ones. Bleh fuck it I'll get them anyway.
Yeah in that case you'd be none the wiser Shaun, as they don't supply a standard set of spacers with new arm board. I think you have to ask/buy separately in any case. So potentially you'd have to buy both types of SME standoff fer the admission price of finding out. :nuts: :geek: Never mind that your Rega decoupled standoffs with the piddling difference in height will almost certainly still allow all the range of VTA adjustment you are likely to need. :) You should get a better price for the Rega board w the standoffs or easily be able to get around £15 posted just for the Rega decoupling kit standoffs & this will prolly sell easier than the arm board.....mine took around 8 months to sell on here, although I wasn't too arsed re bumping it.

Or you could hold a bake off for both types of standoff. :doh: :geek:

:D

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Hmm, not sure 23 quid is worth it for 2mm. Who was that dude who went from rega to sme armboards? Wonder if he changed his standoffs.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I sold several Gyro armboards and spacers on eBay a couple of years ago! Before I joined the 'wam, bad timing, eh?

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Yeah, that's what a geezer says on vinylengine too. I'll leave it for now and the VTA will be fine I imagine. Ordered the mounting plate and hopefully the arm comes with the mounting bolts to mount the arm onto the plate.

Setup should be quite easy but I'll blag a local to come around for proper tweaking :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.