hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I remember the Celestion SL6 way back in the early 80's and a different concept of design than the market had seen before.
Slowly it was developed in tweeter and later cross over.
Then this lovely speaker with great mids and treble and an enjoyable if not especially deep sounding bass was given the option of the newly designed Celestion 6000 bass system!
Some people liked it more with and some without, but the opportunity to have the choice for SL6 fans was of great value and benefit to SL6 owners, offering the choice of larger performance.
The Celestion 6000 like the Harbeth Nelson was designed for what are very good speakers and Give an opportunity to deliver more of their unique performance.

Reactions: Nestor Turton

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The SL600si speakers were in my view very good to look at . The 6000 was very much a product for a single line of speakers the SL6 and 600 series . I liked the look of them as a pair and on the only two occasions I heard them they sounded fantastic . A used full system came up on classifieds for £1500 which is in my view a bargain . However the 6000 are as rare as hens teeth so not an easy thing to get .

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The SL600si speakers were in my view very good to look at . The 6000 was very much a product for a single line of speakers the SL6 and 600 series . I liked the look of them as a pair and on the only two occasions I heard them they sounded fantastic . A used full system came up on classifieds for £1500 which is in my view a bargain . However the 6000 are as rare as hens teeth so not an easy thing to get .
Yes I really liked my Sl6s and trying to get a pair in good condition is difficult but I'm the eternal optimist 😁. I might place a wanted add on the wam.
The 6000 was quite a design and investment If memory serves. Big dual woofers facing each other . Personally I think the designers at Celestion during this period were incredibly gifted in their ability to put their ideas into form.

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How do you know it would 'blow it away' without ever hearing it?
Because it's a small driver in this thing, small drivers equal more distortion with bass, it's also much less power, less scale and dynamics, and on top of all that it's about 10x the price! Even BKs Gemini, their budget sub, will more than likely outperform this easily.

It doesn't have a DSP, but just buy one like a miniDSP if you really feel the need, it's just adding a small amount of bass and low end to those standmounts anyway, the BKs will be far better. Just use the knobs on the bk and buy a measurement microphone with the money you've saved. Unless you want to waste money and buy into Harbeths new idea and product, of course.

Reactions: AndyCC72 and deggie

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If we are slipping into Celestion SL territory, then as the owner of some SL700SE and a pair of SL6000, I can tell you that they are a world away from this shambles. Each SL6000 weighs a hell of a lot and delivers down to 16Hz, the controller allows you to adjust the cut-off and level. As an ex owner of Harbeth P3, the SL700SE is a world away in quality, but you need 4 channels of 150W and above amps.

Reactions: Nopiano and bencat

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd imagine that 'more bass, same space ' is an attractive proposition for many existing P3 owners.
I realise that my P3s do not go as low as other speakers. But having owned, and recently listened to various larger speakers, these P3s remain my favourite. And in consumer world never yet having heard a sub that integrates perfectly I remain sceptical, and at the price point, uninterested. Given what many P3 owners say about them I am not convinced that the majority would be interested but of course the proof is in the listening.

Last edited:
Reactions: hiesteem

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Think we are all a bit barmy, especially as none of us have heard it, or perhaps we have already made up our minds 😉

savvypaul

NVA Hi-Fi
HiFi Trade
Jan 11, 2017
Durham Uk
nvahifi.co.uk
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Think we are all a bit barmy, especially as none of us have heard it, or perhaps we have already made up our minds 😉
I think it's fair enough to make some assumptions without hearing it. A 5" woofer is what it is.i still think it's a potentially canny move commercially, though, especially when you can put them with any LS3 based speaker. There's a lot of 'em out there.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Also, it’s not just about bass, it’s about integration and quality of it. The DSP is designed for someone who has no understanding of how to do it. This makes the whole idea more attractive especially with low level listening using no extra floor space.

Reactions: deggie and hiesteem

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well like it or not, my gut feeling is it's going to sell😁.
It's a perfect foot print.
Small and designed to work with P3 & ls3 size only.
Which means it's Not a generic sub🙄.
Further more I wish Mr Shaw and all the Harbeth team down in my birth place Lindfield, great success in UK , Asia, Europe, & Peckham .🤑

• Haha
Reactions: deggie

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I get that. But I suspect that dealers will be happy enough with them. Dealers sell mostly to normal people rather than hardcore enthusiasts like ourselves. And we all know that normal people are strange...
Really appreciate that you correctly identified me as ‘not normal’; best compliment that I have had in ages. Normal is for other people.

deggie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2011
edge of birmingham
AKA
keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
No doubt mr shaw would have spent many hours listening to these over many hours with his team ,...Oh only himself, as he passes everything of to please his own ears .......They will attract a lot of a attention at the dealers .....Hmmmm.
not for me ill stick with my p3s in my bedroom set up .

• Haha

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe just maybe this will be a great product for someone. And at least Harbeth are trying to add to their product range so that’s something.
Remember Dom, some manufacturers have followers that will just buy regardless of price etc. it’s a new product so got to have it.
I’m hearing that Naims new 200 series is flying off the shelves to existing Naim customers but it has been 23 years since the 200 series was last updated or introduced. Testament I think that a brand can survive without introducing a new model every year. Harbeth is similar although we have had three updates of their speakers since 2005.
Im no fan of AS myself but admire his designs. Prices will always be a contention for as long as they are made in the UK. We can’t have it all.

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm highly interested in experiencing the Harbeth Nelson. In my studio room, where space is a premium, the idea of a plug-and-play solution is undeniably appealing. While the price may seem steep at first glance, when you compare it with alternatives from other brands...

It's fascinating to observe how boutique cable companies price their products at over £3k for high-end cables, while options like Canare and Van Damme offer equally high-quality cables at a fraction of the cost. Similarly, some companies charge exorbitant prices for basic network switches, despite the availability of high-quality HP PoE switches that come at a significantly lower cost and eliminate the need for an additional PSU near the hi-fi system. Customers seem to invest in these products without questioning either the company's credibility or the price tag, which underscores the subjective nature of "value for money."

In this context, the Harbeth Nelson might actually represent better value when compared with cables and switches. However, to assess their usefulness in my setup, I would require a home audition to make an informed decision.
Completely understand re: the home audition, hope this works out, it's the only way to go at this spend I feel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online