Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
Hello all.

Sorry for yet another dvd thread, but I am rather lost on the different 720 this, 1080i that issues.

So, got a new PJ yesterday (Infocus IN72)

The current dvd player is a Pioneer 575a, which I've been happy with.

However, the PJ will sit on a coffee table when in use, and an HDMI cable would be so much more practical than a chunky component cable. I am working on the assumption that I should leave any upscaling to the chip in the IN72, so I just (I assume) need a DVD player which can send a decent signal through HDMI

Budget................? Trying to keep it low, so the Samsung 860 caught my eye............but can of course go higher

In case the spec of the PJ matters, here you go, geeks

COMPATIBILITY

Video: Component and RGB HDTV (720p, 1035i, 1080i, 1080p-24Hz), 24p. DVI/HDMI with HDCP for digital video and encrypted digital video. Component EDTV (480p, 576p progressive scan), Component, Composite and S-Video standard video (480i, 576i, 576i RGB SCART with adapter optional, NTSC, NTSC M 4.43, PAL: B, G, H, I, M, N; SECAM: M).

Computer: Digital and analog PC, Macintosh®, up to 1024x768 resolution through intelligent resizing (Separately available M1-A cable for analog sources or M1-D cable for digital sources required.)

Communication: USB (with separately available M1-A or M1-D cable)

INPUTS & OUTPUTS

1 - Component (RCA): HDTV, EDTV (progressive), and Standard TV component video (interlaced)

1 – S-Video: Standard TV Video

1 – Composite (RCA): Standard TV Video

1 – DVI: HDTV RGB, HDTV Component, Digital Visual Interface (DVI) with HDCP decryption, computer, and USB, HDMI via available adapter

1 - HDMI: SDTV, EDTV, HDTV Component (4:4:4 or 4:2:2) and RGB digital video, Interface (HDMI) with HDCP decryption

1 – 3.5mm Mini-Jack: 12v screen drop trigger

SCART RGBS: RGBS through component and composite video connectors with separately available adapter

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Hiya fella'
smile.png

I might be wrong but I dont think the projector does the upscaling - its the source (DVD player) that outputs the signal in whateve resolution it can.

As long as the PJ can cope with the resolution you throw at it you should be fine!

I have a couple of Harman Kardon DVD players and the DV47 is ace but if you want to stay on the cheap just go with the Denon 1930 (around £200 at Richer Sounds).

At the risk of being an imp - you could buy an Arcam DV79 for c.£500 or an FMJ DV29 and then throw away your CD player as they are meant to be sweet DVD players
wink.png

Actually, have a chat with Nick - he's got some good deals at the mo
smile.png

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
Nick wrote:

Sony have a new player out the DV76 and at the money nothing comes close.
Thanks Nic, that looks to be about the right price!!

I see from your site you are an infocus dealer.........am I not correct in thinking the IN72 has the ability to upscale? Pixelworks chip, or something like that?

Gobind, maybe I've got it wrong :-/ Anyway, whilst the denon is surely a goodie, I'm a bit skint right now so the sony seems like a better price (how many dvd players do you need, anyway?)

G

why buy a dvd player(it's yesterdays technology)when hd dvd is out now...

i haven't bought a single dvd in 3 years.. i knew it was coming... just gonna wait a year to see which format to go for....

may just get a ps3 to start with..

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
rudolph hucker wrote:

why buy a dvd player(it's yesterdays technology)when hd dvd is out now...i haven't bought a single dvd in 3 years.. i knew it was coming... just gonna wait a year to see which format to go for....

Surely not because HD was coming out
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

I'm assuming you didn't buy a DVD cos' you didn't want the films - 3 years is a long time to wait for the technology...

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
rudolph hucker wrote:

why buy a dvd player(it's yesterdays technology)when hd dvd is out now...i haven't bought a single dvd in 3 years.. i knew it was coming... just gonna wait a year to see which format to go for....

2 words...............

source material

G

Craig wrote:

rudolph hucker wrote:

2 words...............

source material
they will play in a hidef machine... buy one and then be patient it'll come you'll be throwing your dvd's away in 5 years time the same as vhs..

G

gsrai wrote:

rudolph hucker wrote:

Surely not because HD was coming out

I'm assuming you didn't buy a DVD cos' you didn't want the films - 3 years is a long time to wait for the technology...
there's many films i want to buy but buying it on sd dvd is muppetry... ole rudi's patient and he'll buy them in time... just no dvd's thanks it for the yesterday;)

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
rudolph hucker wrote:

Craig wrote:
rudolph hucker wrote:

2 words...............

source material
they will play in a hidef machine... buy one and then be patient it'll come you'll be throwing your dvd's away in 5 years time the same as vhs..
I sense a resurgence of the cable wars :force:- I doubt we'' throw DVD's away as you cal always upscale them and people still LP's - how's yours Rudi
wink.png

Nick

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2005
Edinburgh, , United
Hi Infocus will scale the picture as any diaplay device would but you would probaly best to turn on the scaling in the dvd player if you opt for the Sony. In most cases it makes an improvement but at this level there a lot of machines that have basic scalers and you would be better off with the one in the projector.

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Nick wrote:

Hi Infocus will scale the picture as any diaplay device would but you would probaly best to turn on the scaling in the dvd player if you opt for the Sony. In most cases it makes an improvement but at this level there a lot of machines that have basic scalers and you would be better off with the one in the projector.
Thanks Nick
smile.png
, I stand corrected (shows how much I know
), sorry for misleading Craig!

Crustyloafer

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Edinburgh, , United
Craig wrote:

I see from your site you are an infocus dealer.........am I not correct in thinking the IN72 has the ability to upscale? Pixelworks chip, or something like that?
Hi Craig, I am in InFocus Dealer. The IN72 does have a scaler, but it will not upscale anything. The resolution of the IN72 is 854x480 which is lower than the resolution of a UK PAL DVD disc (1025x576). So in actual fact the IN72 will downscale the incoming PAL standard defintion picture of 1024x576 to its native resolution of 854x480. The plain and simple answer is the IN72 does not even have the resolution to display all of the information from a non-scaled standard defintion PAL DVD picture, therefore there would be absolutely no benefit in purchasing a player with any upscaling abilities.

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
Crustyloafer wrote:

Craig wrote:
Hi Craig, I am in InFocus Dealer. The IN72 does have a scaler, but it will not upscale anything. The resolution of the IN72 is 854x480 which is lower than the resolution of a UK PAL DVD disc (1025x576). So in actual fact the IN72 will downscale the incoming PAL standard defintion picture of 1024x576 to its native resolution of 854x480. The plain and simple answer is the IN72 does not even have the resolution to display all of the information from a non-scaled standard defintion PAL DVD picture, therefore there would be absolutely no benefit in purchasing a player with any upscaling abilities.
There's a list on my desk which, around halfway down, reads "send PM to cursty"

You beat me to it.

Thanks for the heads up on the res. info, it's one of the things that seems to go in one ear and clean out the other with me. Sorry

So, the long and short of it is - I assume - thatI need the best DVD player with an HDMI input I can get for my not a lot of money, with upscaling not an issue

Crustyloafer

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Edinburgh, , United
Craig wrote:

So, the long and short of it is - I assume - thatI need the best DVD player with an HDMI input I can get for my not a lot of money, with upscaling not an issue
Precisely. Except you'll probably want a player with a HDMI output and not an input.
wink.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.