Wam Bam
Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi. Before I bought my Klipsch Cornwalls I demoed a pair of Fortes in a very small room. About the same width as your space and I was definitely sitting very close probably about 2 meters away  and they sounded great and totally fine in a small space. I think they need a bit of space behind them so you may find you need to bring them forward a tiny bit. In the end I went for the Cornwalls, one of the reasons is they can go right up against a wall and in a corner. I have very little space, there is only 150cm space between them and I’m sitting 250cm away. Still work and sound great. Premium sound in London have a pair of Fortes on demo (I’m not connected, just where I bought my speakers from and they’re nice guys). I also demoed at another shop a pair of Audio Note E Spe Hemp speakers and they were cracking. Very refined and excellent imaging. In the end I felt either the Forte or Cornwalls were more fun and different to anything I’d had before but I’d definitely have a look at the AN’s as they are excellent. I’m sure they’ll be my next choice after the Cornwalls go. Good luck.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lee M

Lee M

was/is the purplepleaser
Wammer Plus
Nov 6, 2013
Manchester
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi. Before I bought my Klipsch Cornwalls I demoed a pair of Fortes in a very small room. About the same width as your space and I was definitely sitting very close probably about 2 meters away  and they sounded great and totally fine in a small space. I think they need a bit of space behind them so you may find you need to bring them forward a tiny bit. In the end I went for the Cornwalls, one of the reasons is they can go right up against a wall and in a corner. I have very little space, there is only 150cm space between them and I’m sitting 250cm away. Still work and sound great. Premium sound in London have a pair of Fortes on demo (I’m not connected, just where I bought my speakers from and they’re nice guys). I also demoed at another shop a pair of Audio Note E Spe Hemp speakers and they were cracking. Very refined and excellent imaging. In the end I felt either the Forte or Cornwalls were more fun and different to anything I’d had before but I’d definitely have a look at the AN’s as they are excellent. I’m sure they’ll be my next choice after the Cornwalls go. Good luck.

Cheers
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Something to think about.

Lee M

was/is the purplepleaser
Wammer Plus
Nov 6, 2013
Manchester
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lee - as you know, I also run a pair of 1SCs with a Musicmaster - I would suggest that you would sorely miss the Proacs' pinpoint imaging and incredible midrange should you part with them in haste - Sugden themselves believe the Musicmaster to be possibly the best amplifier they have ever produced, but having tried many far more powerful amplifiers with my 1SCs before buying the Musicmaster, I did feel a lack of bass drive - I discussed this with Mr Miller (senior) at the time and he offered to increase the standing current - this was a transformative modification - they kept notes on this at the factory, and should you be interested, I'd be happy to pm you the serial number of my amp and my details and you could have a chat with Sugden - their customer service is excellent. As to bass depth and the constraints of your listening space, I would strongly recommend trying a non ported subwoofer - I'm aware that they divide opinion rather, but I am extremely fussy, and I've been using an REL Strata V to excellent effect for many years and in several different rooms to excellent effect (a more contemporary option might be a B&W PV1) - beyond this, I found the 'weakest link' was the Headmaster: a serious valve pre was something of a revelation...

Being a hifi obsessive, I have naturally spent time considering other options - I have always been intrigued by Audionote speakers (though I think they probably need more space) and I'd really like to try a pair of Kibri Naima, but I think the Sugden/Proac combination is going to prove extremely difficult to beat 

Happy New Year.   MH
Hi. I've been told by a few people including Sugden about how good our amp is. Not sure what standing current means but it's a possibility to have the modification done. 

Regarding speakers it's a itch I had for years tbh. Now I have a space for hifi and movies I can justify bigger speakers.  I also realise that my 1sc's are epic, sort after speakers. From people I have spoken to in the past I don't have the money or room for a sub fast enough. By saying that I'm not saying your setup doesn't sound bad in anyway. Im trying to gauge my room size and the placement issues. I understand that I can do voodoo stuff with dsp but that's way above my head. I find it hard to just even string a few lines to reply on here.

My system as it us right now sounds good. It needs fine tuning and setting up correctly which will help no end.

Thanks everyone for thoughts and ideas

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Larsen speakers are designed to work up against the rear wall or corners....😀

Very good bass, and very deep bass at that for their tiny size.

Rayymondo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With that room I would be tempted by some of the Audio Note speakers.  I have previously used the AN-K in corner locations but you could even go for the next ones up... AN-J I think ?

Lee M

was/is the purplepleaser
Wammer Plus
Nov 6, 2013
Manchester
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
New (secondhand) speakers should be here next week. :nerves:

Aristillus

Aristillus.
Wammer
Feb 25, 2019
Greatham
www.theprogmeister.com
AKA
Steve Petch
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Your Sugden amp would have no trouble at all with the TDB 12. However, you will have to tune them to your room. If you are in the North East on the 23rd of May pop in to our bake off (NEBO) as i will be taking mine. Alan at Kralk is a top geezer and worth a phone call.

Cave2.JPG

• Upvote

Lee M

was/is the purplepleaser
Wammer Plus
Nov 6, 2013
Manchester
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the post. I have gone for the eye candy. Heco Direkt in white.. shallow I know. 

Reactions: rabski

MotherSky

The stone that killed two birds
Wammer
Jun 5, 2010
Shropshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the post. I have gone for the eye candy. Heco Direkt in white.. shallow I know. 
Those are some very interesting looking speakers - they seem to share some thinking with the AN approach, but at a far more acceptable price - I'd be very keen to hear how you get on - looking around on the net, the one thing everyone seems to agree on is that they are very amplifier dependant - I hope they prove a good match, they look like a really funky piece of design

Lee M

was/is the purplepleaser
Wammer Plus
Nov 6, 2013
Manchester
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Those are some very interesting looking speakers - they seem to share some thinking with the AN approach, but at a far more acceptable price - I'd be very keen to hear how you get on - looking around on the net, the one thing everyone seems to agree on is that they are very amplifier dependant - I hope they prove a good match, they look like a really funky piece of design
Fingers crossed my little Musicmaster will do a good job.  People i trust say it should be very good.

yoda900

Wammer Plus
Sep 20, 2005
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It will be ace.  Don't worry.

If not I'll bring some OTT amps to get those speakers moving.

MotherSky

The stone that killed two birds
Wammer
Jun 5, 2010
Shropshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Lee M

was/is the purplepleaser
Wammer Plus
Nov 6, 2013
Manchester
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi. I was a bit annoyed. Its only speakers tbh.

I'm sure something will pop up thats modern looking and will give me a overall improvement I'm after....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online