Hello and Why I need to win the lottery!

NeedtoWinLottery

New Wammer
Sep 27, 2019
Hi,

I have a room (11ft by 16ft)  in my house, that needs to be filled with an (entry level?) Audiophile Vinyl system. 

I've got a lot of Vinyl, and am not interested in playing CD's. In my office I use Qobuz running through a 2qute DAC into Ruark MR1's. Would be good to get Qobuz into the new system (roon?) at some point, but that can wait a while..

I know what sort of sound I want, which is clear and honest. But not so clean its painful to listen too! My musical tastes are varied from Meshuggah to Bach, passing through Rock/Blues/Jazz..

On paper I can build a system in minutes, but it comes to about 80K before I've even added a rack, so back to the real world. Unless I win the lottery, that SME Model 30/2 (I mention this as a friend said that this brand/model is the dogs B@@@@@ks)  is never going to happen...  :)

I am looking at something like (these models are stating a starting point as I've seen it in action,   not a decision). A Luxman L-509X with PMC Fact 8 signature speakers, and VPI Prime Turntable + cables + cartridge. Still a small fortune and slightly more than I want to spend, and I am not going to be a position to purchase till after the Bristol HIFI show next February, where of course I will change my mind again....

Before I speak to a dealer I also wanted to understand a little more about some of the brands. Currently I feel like someone who has only ever owned a push-bike going into a Porsche garage and trying to sound like they know what they are talking about. 

Questions I am looking to answer, are not unusual; PRE+POWER or good Integrated; Choice of speaker to match room / amp. On turntables it always seems to be, how much do you want to spend.. I know nothing about MC cartridges and tonearms, I know that spending £100 on an MM cartridge  is not going to be as good as a £2000 MC one. but I do understand the need for a decent phono-stage..

I am  going to sift through the various threads here , before asking any direct questions. Its possible everything I want to know is already here! I'm fully aware, that I will be getting back a whole load of 'opinions',  if I start asking questions!!

Now I need to go and choose some lottery numbers ….

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online