Hifi Identification

TheMinimalCriminal

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 19, 2010
Villereal, France
AKA
Jon
I've just been reading an article on Eric Spiekermann (German designer and typographer) and came across the following photo from his home in Berlin; anyone any idea what the hifi is?

599ca873d5e78f231bd6d96c9fc0cf93.jpg

Looks like a pair of electrostatics, but not quite right to be 57s...

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looks like the Braun LE-1- very rare German re-modelling of the 57, but still essentially the same speaker.

he's got half-a-ton of kit piled up on the left

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And a crap listening position, and what is that box in front of the right hand speaker?

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Braun LE-1 I would say, from what you can see of the legs. Considering the amount of equipment and the cost of it, that's one hell of an awful room setup.

The box, I believe, is a cat cremation casket.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless my eyes deceive me, I count at least four turntables. Therefore, a bit of a hi-fi nut. In which case, why in the name of all that's holy would you position electrostatics like that, and then sit massively off axis? :nuts:

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that that's not the normal room layout when he's listening, and that his chair might just move...
Doubtless, but for electrostatics they're far too close together and unless it's a trick of perspective, far too close to the back wall.

Mind you, he's a designer. Looking at my desk and table here, I shouldn't be overly surprised :)

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
... a bit of a hi-fi nut. In which case, why in the name of all that's holy would you position electrostatics like that, and then sit massively off axis? :nuts:
Because like a lot of Germans he lives in a small rented apartment in a city centre and likes to fill every room with fitted shelves?

(Ok I don't know that many Germans but they all rent, and all of them have kilometres of shelves installed!)

Pierre The Bear

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 19, 2009
LEEDS
AKA
John
And a crap listening position, and what is that box in front of the right hand speaker?
Your right Kev but he could be like me and just like what he hears! I don't have a perfect listening room and folk say that my speakers are too bright and that they are positioned wrong (99% of those people have never heard them of course) but maybe he's happy with them and likes the sound they produce???

Who knows but it's not like he can't afford to change his kit so I'm guessing he must be happy with it in which case good luck to him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.