Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
..... And surely nobody really needs to ever hear Hotel California ever again? Nothing wrong with it per se but surely there comes a time when you feel you have heard a particular song enough times to last a lifetime?
If a hear a live band starting to play a Hotel California cover, I have a rule about leaving immediately.

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I'm finding this thread a bit odd. So many people saying that they couldn't care less if the shaker is audible or not on their system. Is this supposed to be an audiophile forum? Isn't the point of an audiophile sound system to let you hear what's on a recording?
Am I missing something?
Not really. I just don't care. Everyone's system has deficiencies

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
It would have to be a very clever hi-fi system to know what its owner's musical preferences are and only screw up the music the owner didn't like.
I'd prefer my hi-fi to play all the instruments on any recording whether I liked the music or not.
It's literally only a stereo...

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It would have to be a very clever hi-fi system to know what its owner's musical preferences are and only screw up the music the owner didn't like.
I'd prefer my hi-fi to play all the instruments on any recording whether I liked the music or not.
If all systems were the same then ok. But systems typically play to their strengths don’t they?

I really like the BBC sound and own two pairs of Harbeths. But in direct comparison between Harbeth M30s and a pair of ATC SCM11s and the ATCs played the Police and Pretenders better than the Harbeths and also the Harbeths were better than the ATCs on acoustic jazz.

The same is true of amplifiers. A 140w Quad Artera is a great amp and I owned one and still own a Quad 909. But in comparison to a 130w Audio Research D130 that I also own the ARC has far more punch and clarity than the Quad. In this comparison the Quad is a warm bath smooths over detail.

A Harbeth M30 partnered with a Quad Artera Stereo power amp is going to produce music yes; but very very differently to an Audio Research D130 and ATC SCM11s “even though it’s doesn’t know the music that it will be playing”. It like asking a football goal keeper why he can’t play in the centre forward position as well as a centre forward or a 100 meter runner why they cant run as fast as a 10,000 meter runner over 10,000 meters.

This isn’t exactly surprising is it and this is the point being made that you seem to disagree with.

Paul55

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2007
NN
Easy to hear on harder to hear on

No need to expose yourself to more than 30s total Eagling.

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
If you are not interested in the thread, then don’t contribute, if others find it helpful that’s good for them isn’t it?

Reactions: PeteVid

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Easy to hear on harder to hear on

No need to expose yourself to more than 30s total Eagling.

Yep - in fact so easy that it is very clearly audible on my affordable OnePlus Nord smartphone through the cheap crappy earbuds that they gave me for free. HiFi...not much. So exactly what is this whole discussion attempting to prove...? If it is being touted as a test of system resolution, then either the bar is being set so low as to be absurd or my lowly smartphone can kick audio ass. Answers on a postcard please...

Reactions: flak monkey

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Yep - in fact so easy that it is very clearly audible on my affordable OnePlus Nord smartphone through the cheap crappy earbuds that they gave me for free. HiFi...not much. So exactly what is this whole discussion attempting to prove...? If it is being touted as a test of system resolution, then either the bar is being set so low as to be absurd or my lowly smartphone can kick audio ass. Answers on a postcard please...
It can't be a test unless everyone uses the same master.
I actually think it's a great thread because we all have certain tracks that we will use to test our equipment. I always look out for a certain bass 'wobble' on Me'Shell N'degeocello's 'Makes Me Wanna Holler', as an example.

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
...in fact, clear as a rattlesnake through the phone's Inbuilt speaker.

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
It’s not hard to understand this thread, why do people have to be sarcastic about something that may actually have use to someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online