Answered How Long is Too Long?

This question has been answered.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I recently purchased a pair of Beolab 8000 Active speakers and after trying them as my main spakers before putting them against my Event Opal Monitors.

The Opals won hands down so for a bit of an experiment I put the 8000's in the opposite corners of my room and spent a few days playing various music while getting the balance & position right. I do like what they bring to the mix with I would say 95% of my music.

I have decided to make the cabling more permanent atm it's two 3m runs of RCA cable connected together so 6m long but running over the carpet & also across the entry door so not ideal. My plan is to buy cable to run under the floor from behind my rack & up into the corner.

My question is as I do have an XLR output I'm running the Opals on atm would I be better running the 8000's via XLR as the cables will be 6m long or does it not matter?

I know they say XLR is for pro gear & long runs but how long is ok for RCA??

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Depends on a number of factors really. Six metres with no real impedance matching issues and a high enough signal level ought not to be any problem. If you're not having an issue with two 3m ones joined, then you won't have an issue with the same length but without the extra connector.

Technically, XLR would be better. In practice, it probably won't make a gnat's worth of difference.

Reactions: tackleberry and MVJ

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Richard tbh I did'nt think it would really but nice to have it confirmed though.

I'll get some 6m Van-Damme RCA's then.👍

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What I would say is that in my limited experience I have found XLR cables to make less difference in quality from cheap ones to the expensive . I have noticed more differences in RCA cables . In pro music shops 6 my is not an issue and decent ones can be had for under twenty pounds per cable .

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What I would say is that in my limited experience I have found XLR cables to make less difference in quality from cheap ones to the expensive . I have noticed more differences in RCA cables . In pro music shops 6 my is not an issue and decent ones can be had for under twenty pounds per cable .
I had'nt thought about it that way Andy & I think a reasonable quality pair of 6m RCA's will do the job
How long is too long?

12 inches, apparently.
It seems to make my wife uncomfortable, at any rate.

:LOL:
Can this be construed as thread crapping🤔🤣😂

Reactions: bencat

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Really ? We are going that far back ? Les Dawson will be spinning in his grave and of course playing the piano out of tune .

• Haha
Reactions: MVJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.