http://audiotweak.net/2013/03/16/how-to-make-diy-acoustic-panels/

imag0359.jpg

Teti

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2011
AKA
Teti
I was told, that I should wrap the wool in some kind of foil to avoid tiny glass crystals spread in the room. Oh well... one picture and million opinions.

alexh

Super Wammer
Wammer
Feb 17, 2009
Hereford, , United K
AKA
Alex
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Google, Cara accoustic fabric.

They do the foam backed material that will trap the Rockwool fibres, It makes me cough when I have a Rollup ....

Teti

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2011
AKA
Teti
Thanks for a great tip. I doubt to any major upgrades to current panels, but surely will use in the future. At least I'll attach back side to standing ones. There is really no reason, why glass dust should be flying around the room isn't it?

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was told, that I should wrap the wool in some kind of foil to avoid tiny glass crystals spread in the room. Oh well... one picture and million opinions.
I use pallet wrap, which is clingfilm on a handle. It is so thin that it will be acoustically transparent at audio frequencies, or if it attenuates at all it will be at very high frequencies. Which is fine, no?

100mm-pallet-wrap.gif

P

Pac67

I use pallet wrap, which is clingfilm on a handle. It is so thin that it will be acoustically transparent at audio frequencies, or if it attenuates at all it will be at very high frequencies. Which is fine, no?
100mm-pallet-wrap.gif
Errrm...no. It will be reflective to HF

P

Pac67

Dont wrap it in anything reflective. If you can't blow through the material easily, it is reflective to sound.

Cara Acoustic material is one of the better options. I used their foam backed stuff to make a number of panels. For enhanced performance at lower mid frequencies you need to make the back acoustically transparent too (I used a polycotton treated with fire retardant) and leave a gap of a few inches to the wall by fitting spacers to the frame. Frequencies getting through the panel will be re-absorbed on their way back. the gap is critical and determines the wavelengh of the frequencies affected, but a couple of inches is fine.

Interocitor98

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 1, 2013
Stockport
AKA
Darren
I used 18mm birch ply for the frames of my panels. Filled them with medium density rockwool panels. Some have acoustic foam in them, some have felt backs. The variation was to try and stop them all working at the same frequency range. Have never measured them so don't know, but they seem to do the trick.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Errrm...no. It will be reflective to HF
I think it will only affect the very highest frequencies, and the fabric, (or other covering) will absorb those anyway. I'm only talking of single layer. I'll see if I can find some figures on that, to confirm or disprove.

Interocitor98

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 1, 2013
Stockport
AKA
Darren
There's a very quick, rough and ready experiment that would give some indication if what happens with the clingfilm in place : wrap some round a speaker. If there's little difference its coupling the air each side and effectively acoustically transparent.

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
The graph shows very little absorption at bass frequencies. I suspect they have used a low density here, as 100mm of 145Kg/m3 should do better.
delta-density.gif
That spec sheet looks as if it was produced in the middle half of last century.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Probably, but I don't think rockwool has changed much.

Anyway, so was I!

Edit. I just thought, how do you get a MIDDLE half? Wouldn't that make 3 halves?
17428.gif

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, it is 60gsm. I have 12 of them tho.
Still won't do much for bass, but if you don't need that, then OK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online