Wammer
Aug 19, 2009
Lives near Huddersfield sadly!!
AKA
Mick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As if it's not dear enough already!!

https://torontosun.com/entertainmen...-huge-price-increases-coming-for-vinyl-albums

Vertigo-Records-Ottawa-files-Jan4-scaled-e1672877589962.jpg

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
New vinyl has been beyond my reach for a while now. Maybe s/h vinyl will go that way too :( but anyhow I've got a decent sized collection and listening to each one just once will probably take longer than I have left to live, so maybe I should just offer my condolences to those who would still like to have many years of happy collecting ahead of them.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looks like my 3 Shpongle pre ordered LP's will be the last the 2nd hand market will no doubt follow the trend too so that is the end of my vinyl buying.

Tbh I could play all my records end to end and be dead before I got half way thru so hey ho!

Reactions: chezi

Headcoat

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 15, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
CD's it is for me then. Was pondering the price of vinyl already... decision made for me.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've already noticed a trend for increasing second-hand CD prices. Not to a massive extent, but it seems that for the artists I look for (and they're not particularly obscure) the days of picking them up on Amazon marketplace for 1p each plus postage are gone. £4-5 seems to be about the level, and it puts me off to be honest, especially when the condition some of them turn up in is pretty poor. For 1p I don't mind as much as long as they play

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You think CDs won't follow suit?
CDs seem to going down in price for new ones. Adele latest is only £3.31 on Amazon, the vinyl is £21.50, even that is cheap compared to many new releases. I'm seeing quite a few around £27.
CDs get expensive when new ones are no longer available, seen some of those for around £200-400. You can often buy the download for about £10.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was shocked at the prices in HMV when I went to spend a voucher. A lot of new records were £44. I had to add money to my voucher just to buy a reissue of an LP from 1970.

Reactions: chezi

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Apparently the rumour was started on social media by a Canadian Indie Record store to get some attention,clicks & publicity.

I think my new vinyl buying in the future will be preceeded by some research about SQ & manufacture quality before purchasing.

Reactions: bigrod

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Most of my music is now found in charity shops and at fairs .. because I can listen to “almost” anything , if it’s in good condition and cheap enough I will buy it ..
What I listen to can be had for a couple of £ at most fairs ..and even cheaper in charity shops .. and generally the older stuff has much better SQ
A good record cleaner was a sound investment.. I’ve probably cleaned well over 700 albums on the vinyl vortex ..

Reactions: lazycat

chezi

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Nov 8, 2012
Fun City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jeez :oops: Never mind the price of vinyl . Bruce Springsteen seats $4-5K , come on Bruce "fuckin" Springsteen , one of the most over-rated , dickheads , for want of a better word , thinks he's worth $4-5k a seat to watch live. Dream on.

Back to the price of vinyl.
I was in Edinburgh on 2nd Jan and nipped into a record shop and bought 6 albums and the total cost was rounded down , by the guy in the shop , to £205 , Double albums nowadays are pushing the £40 mark and some greedy retailers , including Amazon , see fit to bump up the prices on Ltd or special editions , including represses of albums by artists that THEY know are gonna sell regardless of price.
I'm like MVJ , I have a collection around 3000 strong on vinyl and I couldn't possibly expect to be alive 💀💀after listening to them all back to back , well I would still be alive but you get the point , I like buying vinyl , especially from the small independant store in Edinburgh I use all the time. I'm also one of them that regardless of the quality of the pressing , I just keep the Lp and get on with it. This is something I will change and I'll also look at discogs and try and find out the quality of the pressing and mastering , I ain't gonna buy any old shit , I want a perfect pressing with a band and sound engineer that work hard to ensure a high quality mixing/mastering of the sound. I know it's not the artists fault for the price increase , it's the Record companies , but I reckon THEY don't wanna be selling physical music anymore , when they can sell a digital copy to the "stream" providers , something else I don't use.

chz

Reactions: lazycat and TIU

Andy Stephenson

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 8, 2022
North East England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Profiteering.
It's reminiscent of when Cds first became popular.
Now that records are now the thing to have, the price has shot up and CDs are the cheap alternative.

Andy!

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I see the preorder is now available for the DSOTM 50th box set. It's a mere 250 quid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online