I am just unlucky, right?

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Stupid question...

I have a large 55 inch UHD Samsung telly. Directly under this is my Jolida valve DAC. There is not enough heat to knacker my TV. About 10 inches under TV in a slot, but with about an inch thick piece of wood in between is a Suggie A21, now this does get hot, however it's pretty far below the telly and has wood separating it. TV and hifi is all on/in a proper wooden AV rack with gaps for separates.

My telly is knackered and is less than 2 years old. Samsung are washing their hands as the 12 months warranty is out. I'm about to shell out 800+ on a Sony. I'm pretty annoyed.

I'm pretty sure this is not the reason, but please reassure me, or not...

1) The valves in the Jolida don't release some magical TV screwing up magnetic field and/or voodoo powers that would knacker a picture? 

2) I really can't see it would be the Suggie, as it's pretty far away, but a TV screen is not so super sensitive to heat changes it would throw it's toys out cuz of that?

I'm just unlucky right and I'm not going to be shopping again in 20 more months for best part of a grand because I'm doing something stupid here?!

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have always tried to keep the TV well away from my hifi Pete.   It might be a case of priorities but my system seems to sound better when the TV is off, (including most appliances) & I am sitting by candle light.  Obsessive ?.....naah.  It's for the best tell the wife ?     :whistle:       Would get your new one on the wall maybe ?   ..in a diff room ?  :)     * Like others I have never had a Samsung fail & have used them 20yrs.  You must just be unfortunate mate.

Last edited by a moderator:

JD68

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2015
Manchester
AKA
John Dunne
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Could you get someone to look at it and tell you what the fault is? Then if it's not repairable at least you will know whether heat  has caused it. 

On the subject of Suggies, I had to move mine to the top shelf because it was making the shelf above it very warm indeed. 

Blackmetalboon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 1, 2015
Brighton
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’d be surprised if it was the cause of the issue. I’ve seen plenty of TV’s placed near radiators in peoples living room with no (apparent) long term problems.

In fact, for the last 15+ years I have had a wall mounted TV above the worktop in my kitchen/diner. Sitting on the worktop either side of it is a kettle and a toaster. I am on my second TV (the first only had an analogue tuner so eventually had to be replaced), both of which have been Samsung and both still work fine.

t1no

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2014
North West
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. TVs are definitely something to consider buying with a 5 or 6 year warranty. Most retailers can offer such warranties and still be competitive on price with those that don't.

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you all.

No one has mentioned valves so I'm glad it's not that and me being a plonker with it directly below (same shelf) as the telly.

I felt the top shelf that the telly sits on and it was tepid warm at best, certainly not toasty hot from the Sugden singing sweetly below, so I really don't think it would be that. 

The silver lining is I am buying a bigger TV, 65" instead. It is going to be mounted on the wall as it will be too big for the stand.

I may also now buy a dedicated hifi rack and have this in the left corner of the room, not underneath the telly, just to be sure. 

Re the comment on getting it looked at. That's probably just money down the drain. From some calls today, the screen repair fee exceeds the cost I paid for it (crazy right!!). Therefore, despite buying "premium" gear, it seems it's just throwaway. I feel pretty annoyed with Samsung and won't be buying anymore of their stuff.

Thanks for replies all.

bigfish786

Wammer
Wammer
May 15, 2013
Yorkshire
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve worked for a few companies installing TVs etc, and would always advise against mounting above any heat source as it would void the warranty.

that was for heating appliances, radiators fires etc. But if your kit kicks out a lot of heat, it could have affected your tv. 

Follow advice from others, get a tv with 5 or 6 yr warranty next. 

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
WRT valves, there's no 'magic waves' coming from valve equipment that will do any damage. If there were, then the rest of the circuits in the DAC would get screwed quick time. I'm not sure what you mean by 'directly under', but the Jolida shouldn't be throwing out enough heat to do any harm.

As for the TV itself, bad luck seems all it's down to. I've got four Samsung TVs dotted around the place. A couple are a good few years old and none of them have had any problems.

The main reason for the suggestion of getting it looked at is not to actually get it repaired, but to establish exactly what went wrong. That way you should be able to discount it being a heat issue.

Juancho

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2014
London
AKA
David
WRT valves, there's no 'magic waves' coming from valve equipment that will do any damage. If there were, then the rest of the circuits in the DAC would get screwed quick time. I'm not sure what you mean by 'directly under', but the Jolida shouldn't be throwing out enough heat to do any harm.

As for the TV itself, bad luck seems all it's down to. I've got four Samsung TVs dotted around the place. A couple are a good few years old and none of them have had any problems.

The main reason for the suggestion of getting it looked at is not to actually get it repaied, but to establish exactly what went wrong. That way you should be able to discount it being a heat issue.
+1. I have a sprinkling of Samsungs around the house, the oldest being a 2004 model. The newest and largest and oldest both have valve pres, DACs and valve monoblocks under them and nary a blink. One has 4 X 845 valves, the other 2 X 805 valves, so I don't think heat or valves have any negative effects.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gosh, that’s tough luck, but I recall you’ve not had the Sugden very long, so I can’t believe it can have contributed to any failure.

John Lewis and Richer Sounds always offer long warranties and Curry’s seem to on some premium models.  I suspect it’s just a random fault, though if the legislation about lifespan comes to pass then maybe we will sure of a minimum operating period. (Have I read it correctly?) *

I’ve got one of the first Freeview HD Sony TVs from 2010 and it’s still going strong (currently on loan to my Dad).

*PS.  I think so...https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/10/white-goods-will-last-longer-cheaper-run-new-rules/

Pete the Feet

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2010
Rochdale, , United K
AKA
Mr Feet
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Most homes that I've observed with wall mounted TV's have them mounted on the chimney breast wall. Never heard of them being damaged by being mounted directly over a fire place. A couple of valves on a Dac, nay, be realistic.

glenhb

Glenhb
Wammer
Feb 3, 2019
Doncaster
AKA
Glen Buddery
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Morning,

Before you go spending on a new TV, you need to exercise your consumer rights.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 applies to all purchases made after 1st October 2015 and gives you 
protection you when you buy goods and services. This means you have rights by law, which a shop
or service provider can't change.

This law states that when you buy goods they should be:-

1. Of satisfactory quality,
2. As described,
3. Fit for purpose
4. LAST FOR A REASONABLE LENGTH OF TIME.

These rights are over and above any manufacturers guarantee and cannot be over ruled by retailers
or manufacturers.

Because of these rights a retailer or manufacturer cannot just wash their hands of the situation by
saying " you're out of guarantee, so we're not going to help you". The warranty period is irrelevant.

The goods purchased must last a reasonable length of time so if you would normally expect a TV (for
example in your case) to last say 6 years and it fails after 2 years you have a right of redress from the 
company that sold you the product.

That last bit is important, it is the place you purchased the item (TV) from that you have a contract
with and it is their responsibility to sort it out, they can't bat you back to the manufacturer.

So in your situation, if you expected the TV to last for 6 years and it's failed after two the retailer
has 3 options

1. Repair
2. Replace
3. Refund

They may want an engineers inspection to determine the cause of failure and if it is due to something
you've done then they can charge you for the inspection and don't need to do anything further.

If however there is a manufacturing fault or an inherent fault etc that caused it to fail prematurely
you are due compensation as above.

They can take into account the 2 years use you've had from the TV, eg if they decide to refund you because the 
TV is uneconomic to repair they could pay you the cost of the inspection plus 4/6ths of the cost of the TV.

Retailers and manufacturers will try and fob you off but you have these rights and I know from personal experience
that they have teeth.
Know your rights and stand your ground.

Remember you must go to the retailer that you bought the item from which will not necessarily be the manufacturer.

An excellent simplified guide to this law via this link:-

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange/

And if you want to hear examples of this in action tune into the "JVS Show" on BBC Three Counties Radio Monday to Friday
10am to 11:30am where an experienced consumer journalist takes on real life cases such as this.

(No I don't have any link with the show).

So go back to the retailer you bought the TV from and use your rights.

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Morning,

Before you go spending on a new TV, you need to exercise your consumer rights.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 applies to all purchases made after 1st October 2015 and gives you 
protection you when you buy goods and services. 
Thank you Glen. I am now doing this.

I purchased my new telly yesterday which arrives on Sun. Today my broken one got dropped off at authorised Samsung engineers to professionally  diagnose the issue. I have already been in touch with the seller and also with my home insurance, legal protection policy providers.

It seems you are right, although it sounds like a slow and drawn out process.

Chances are I may end up with either Samsung covering the full cost to repair mine plus the investigative fee, or I'll end up gaining a partial refund. If it's the former then the Samsung TV will be getting sold as my new soon to arrive one is even bigger 😀. Every cloud has a silver lining.

Thanks again 👍

glenhb

Glenhb
Wammer
Feb 3, 2019
Doncaster
AKA
Glen Buddery
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you Glen. I am now doing this.

I purchased my new telly yesterday which arrives on Sun. Today my broken one got dropped off at authorised Samsung engineers to professionally  diagnose the issue. I have already been in touch with the seller and also with my home insurance, legal protection policy providers.

It seems you are right, although it sounds like a slow and drawn out process.

Chances are I may end up with either Samsung covering the full cost to repair mine plus the investigative fee, or I'll end up gaining a partial refund. If it's the former then the Samsung TV will be getting sold as my new soon to arrive one is even bigger 😀. Every cloud has a silver lining.

Thanks again 👍
No problem, you're welcome.

The only thing that makes the process drawn out is retailers who are ignorant of the law or know the law but try to fob you off with bulls**t.

I once took a vacuum cleaner back to a well known retailer who told me I had to contact the manufacturer.

5 minutes after I quoted him the Sale of Goods Act I walked out with a brand new replacement.

Know your rights and stand your ground.

Reactions: lindsayt

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Get your new TV from John Lewis - they give a five year warranty (well they did when I bought mine) .. Last year in lock down I got a new Sony Bravia as the Panasonic I had bought two years previous was playing up .. I finally got round to dropping the Panasonic back in October last year for them to sort out - they gave me a replacement TV (up to the same value as the Panasonic they let me choose) and have given a five year warranty on the replacement.   My daughter is pleased she gets the new tv for her house she has just bought lol 

Reactions: Nopiano

Ed Howarth

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Apr 17, 2012
Isle of Mull
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Get a sheet of black plastic and put it in the sun in your living room for an hour around mid-day in August. It will get so hot you can't touch it. Now get on a plane to Egypt or where ever and do the same. TVs go through years of testing to survive these conditions. It's unlikely that yours was damaged from a bit of convected heat from an amp. (Although the engineer may say differently, of course).

Reactions: rabski and uzzy

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thought I'd bump this... and some amusement for us hi-fi buffs.

So my all singing and dancing badboy Sony 65" has been in the living room for two and a half weeks off now. Looks the dogs doodahs. However, the sounds has ballsed up after only two weeks. 🤣🤣🤣.

I've never had a piece of hifi kit break in two weeks. Lol. It seems I am incredibly crap at this TV buying malarky.

Shop is delivering me a replacement tomorrow and collecting this one. The big brucey bonus is they'd reduced the price by 70 quid, which I got to benefit from (and they forgot they'd priced matched in the first place).

So, long and short is my new-new TV arrives tomorrow.

The Samsung will shortly be back from having the backlight replaced and will be for sale. I'll chuck it on eBay, but maybe on here too. Shameless pre-sale plug.

Reactions: Nativebon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online