Wammer
Jul 7, 2021
Ukraine
baltaksa.com
AKA
Mikhail
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Immediately, please, forgive me for bad English!
I bought myself a new cartridge and started installing the system.
I understand that the VTA setting is necessary that the shell is parallel to the vinyl record. I started tuning the VTA on the shell. And then I checked along the line on Tonarm and was horrified.

IMG-6571.jpg

IMG-6572.jpg

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would set vta by the lines on the arm, the headshell is to short for a meaningful reading. 

Over the whole effective length of a 9" arm (pivot to stylus) a difference of 1mm is only around 0.3 degrees in SRA. 

Reactions: kernow

Editor

Wammer
Jul 7, 2021
Ukraine
baltaksa.com
AKA
Mikhail
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I would set vta by the lines on the arm, the headshell is to short for a meaningful reading. 

Over the whole effective length of a 9" arm (pivot to stylus) a difference of 1mm is only around 0.3 degrees in SRA. 
Thanks for the answer. But this should not be such a difference?

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No, it should be as level as possible, my mention of 1mm was to illustrate how small, the change in SRA is if you don't get it absolutely spot on. Sometimes the sound can be preferable to people with the nose or tail slightly down. Once you get the arm level (using the lines) then you can tweak to your aural taste. 

Reactions: Editor

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I hate to break the news but your hradshell mount is damaged by the looks of it.

The headshell should remove completely and you should see 4 pins on the end of the arm - no wires!

Editor

Wammer
Jul 7, 2021
Ukraine
baltaksa.com
AKA
Mikhail
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I hate to break the news but your hradshell mount is damaged by the looks of it.

The headshell should remove completely and you should see 4 pins on the end of the arm - no wires!
When I bought tournable, I was warned that the wiring was changed in Tonarm.

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
That headshell connection does look pretty broken tbh 

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Adjust the arm height by comparing the height of the top line close to the headshell and close to the edge of the record. It needs raising.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Tapered arm tube - align with writing down the centre of the arm 

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That headshell connection does look pretty broken tbh 
not sure - it is held in by clamping the arm tube with an allen bolt to set the azimuth  - but taking it off and bending at 90 degrees is not doing the arm leads any good for sure 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kernow

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Immediately, please, forgive me for bad English!
I bought myself a new cartridge and started installing the system.
I understand that the VTA setting is necessary that the shell is parallel to the vinyl record. I started tuning the VTA on the shell. And then I checked along the line on Tonarm and was horrified.

View attachment 91445

s-l500 (4).jpg
Watch this video about how to set up an SME 309 tonearm 

Reactions: Editor and uzzy

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I bought tournable, I was warned that the wiring was changed in Tonarm.
It appears that when they changed the wiring they changed how the arm functions.  You should be able to remove the headshell completely. There should not be a wire connecting the arm and the headshell.  But maybe the arm now has ‘through wiring’. It’s ok if it does. But it makes no sense to have done this. 

Last edited by a moderator:

mac72

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 12, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Set tonearm tube so lines are parallel to the platter then loosen up the headshell screw to allow bit of movement and tilt it up in vertical plane to make top parallel to the platter as well . Removing connector wasn't greatest idea I bet if you loosen the headshell screw there is a lot of movement in both horizontal and vertical planes throwing headshell alignment out .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online