Stylus cleaning is sticky stuff enough?

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have used a Vinyl Passion Dustbuster for years (other brands are out there) I just wondered is that enough to keep your stylus pristine clean?  

For many years I used a small bottle of liquid that had a brush in to apply it which consisted of part water part alcohol which did the job perfectly. Then the Dustbuster came along but does anyone still use the liquid as well sometimes just to make sure the stylus is perfectly clean?

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
West London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use a Cartridgeman  Musicmaster proto-type it has a small stylus attached to a Sapphire cantilever. I use Magic Eraser original i.e.  without soap. Before he died, I sent Len a photograph from my digital microscope re VTA, he remarked how clean my stylus was, for years Len warned on his cartridge paperwork not to use wet cleaning.

There is lots on the net. about using Magic Eraser (expanded melamine) have a Google, I have used it for 30+ years never a problem.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MVJ

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
VP Dustbuster, or Clearaudio stylus brush here :)

images

001-AC014_Nadelreinigungsbuerste.jpg

Never wet clean if your stylus is glued on the cantilever, I learnt that the hard way :(  

Reactions: Von Krolock and MVJ

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Best way to keep your stylus clean is to play clean records-  brought a Project record cleaner. Hardly ever have to clean the stylus.
Yes all my records are cleaned 👍 The question I asked was does anyone still wet clean their stylus these days??

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use a DS Audio ST-50 which is expensive, but I like the ergonomics and finish and they last forever. I dry brush the stylus every now and then too. Ortofon advise against wet cleaning and so I don’t do that with my current cart.

Reactions: MVJ and lazycat

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
VP dustbuster and occasionally the Audiotechnica AT637 Vibrating stylus cleaner for Stubborn stuff. Also use either a camera air puffer or aerosol air duster to shift the build up of dust in the mech & on body. 

Reactions: MVJ and kernow

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
VP dustbuster and occasionally the Audiotechnica AT637 Vibrating stylus cleaner for Stubborn stuff. Also use either a camera air puffer or aerosol air duster to shift the build up of dust in the mech & on body. 
+1 for the AT vibrator and the dustbuster. I never use fluid for cleaning the stylus, only for LPs

Reactions: greybeard

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
+2 for the AT 637.

I managed to get a minty one from eBay last year. My much abused original died.

But after nearly 40 yrs use I can't complain.

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use a DS Audio ST-50 which is expensive, but I like the ergonomics and finish and they last forever. 
Same here. It does the same job as the Onzow but it's idiot proof.

Von Krolock

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tip Tonic wet stylus cleaner worked well enough. It, or similar, allegedly attacked stylus adhesive so stopped using it for warranty concerns and paranoia..
The Onzow works well & the carbon fibre brush shown above.
I found the AT vibrator worked much better if you didn't bother with the vibrator but used it as a manual cleaner - back to front in usual style.
Len Gregory was very dismissive of the AT vibrating cleaner - 'Don't use that bloody vibrator!' ...Best wishes Len.

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
West London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Okki Nokki, dry brush and Dust Buster here.
I was given an Okki Nokki for my 65th a few years ago highly recommended just buy a better brush I bought  an SRM.  Although I recommend Magic Eraser since the OK cleaner I use it infrequently these days, My Hydraulic Reference also has the record and stylus brushes the latter now only for show as with the Hadcock 242 silver +arm  almost impossible to use unlike the original SME arm. 

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
West London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tip Tonic wet stylus cleaner worked well enough. It, or similar, allegedly attacked stylus adhesive so stopped using it for warranty concerns and paranoia..
The Onzow works well & the carbon fibre brush shown above.
I found the AT vibrator worked much better if you didn't bother with the vibrator but used it as a manual cleaner - back to front in usual style.
Len Gregory was very dismissive of the AT vibrating cleaner - 'Don't use that bloody vibrator!' ...Best wishes Len.

Len Gregory died October last year...

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have used a wet stylus cleaner/brush for many years (not any more) and never had an issue with losing a stylus I think the key is to apply sparingly then clean with a firm short fine bristle brush.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigfool1956

Old Progger
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2008
Littlehampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I use an Audio Technica pot of sticky stuff mostly. Once in a while I follow up with some Audio Technica wet stuff, which AT say is no danger to their carts.

Reactions: MVJ

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use an Audio Technica pot of sticky stuff mostly. Once in a while I follow up with some Audio Technica wet stuff, which AT say is no danger to their carts.
May be I'll get some of that myself👍

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
VP Dustbuster, or Clearaudio stylus brush here :)

Never wet clean if your stylus is glued on the cantilever, I learnt that the hard way :(  
Almost the same here - but discovered Moongel Pads - they fit in a Listerine Pocket pack container - they take forever to dry out and do the job for me.
As to the brush .. damp with warm water and you shouldn't have a problem with glued on styli (well not had one fall off for over 40 years here .. never had one fall off when using a lenco clean many years ago either which wetted the record in play so the stylus sat on a thin film of fluid (but the capillary action did rot away the armature in a Decca (well Mr Hodgson told me it was very rusty when they came to rebuild it after it collapsed) and it also worked its way inside my MC20 MK2 (i think) which packed up on one channel).   

Reactions: greybeard and MVJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online