Is Sansui Gear Really This Good?

stickman

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 17, 2006
Manchester
AKA
Phil
I think the speakers are damn fine looking, if anyone has a pair of them or similar I would gladly hand over my 'noy's.
Get yerself some 70s Pioneer CSxxx with the same latticed grill and play Led Zeppelin and/or Uriah Heep on repeat. :D

I spent a good few years renting a flat (or my employer did) whilst working away from home; the main components of my hi-fi were a Pioneer SA-9500 and CS-803 speakers.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I entirely agree that Sansui did some great stuff/do not overpay - for almost anything.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Absolutely.

2 lasses to whom I gave my 1st great biggish-speaker hifi-sys 1981 (Trio 2055-AKGP7E-Trio amp-Tuner-Technics Cassette Deck-QED79-Goodmans RB65) went out and bought superior-sounding complete Sansui inc rack sys. from Laskys ....or was it Comet ...

I like 7.

Pussycat

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Norwich
AKA
Mike
Ah Laskys.We has Goodmans RB20s from Laskys.
Ah, Lasky's. I worked there for a while (Tottenham Court Rd.). It was quite an emporium, if I remember (late sixties?). Micro-seiki decks were all the rage, but I fell in love with an ADC 40 with tapered wooden arm for my Shures. Bought Heathkit speakers from across the road (and up a bit), and Imhof's was just around the corner. Heady days!

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John
Ah, Lasky's. I worked there for a while (Tottenham Court Rd.). It was quite an emporium, if I remember (late sixties?). Micro-seiki decks were all the rage, but I fell in love with an ADC 40 with tapered wooden arm for my Shures. Bought Heathkit speakers from across the road (and up a bit), and Imhof's was just around the corner. Heady days!
Wasn't KJ Leisuresound around there as well? (Tottenham Court Rd.)

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
wasn't everybody in TCR?

I recall that London visits were mostly a half day in Art Galleries, Lunch and then a half day wandering up TCR dribbling.

First heard big JBL L110's and Dahlquist's DQ10 electrostatics there. Quad's? PAH.

I loved the late 70's. HiFi was popular, speakers were BIG and record decks were built like tanks. Wonderful stuff.

Pussycat

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Norwich
AKA
Mike
Wasn't KJ Leisuresound around there as well? (Tottenham Court Rd.)
KJ were a couple or three streets westward of Tott. Ct. Rd., but I don't think they started until latish seventies.

Incidentally, a firm which is still in existence (in many places) is Audio T, which started up from first floor premises just round the corner in, I believe, the very late sixties. They have to be the hifi dealers with the greatest longevity, I feel, though there may be other contenders up north. Radlett Audio was early seventies, I think, and is still going.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Music is as music does - Lasky's etc or Goodmans or fine Sansui, in a great rack or not ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online