Is the YAQIN MS-12B (220v +-10%) safe to use in UK?

eldarvanyar

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 1, 2011
Hi guys,

can you tell me if the YAQIN MS-12B is safe to use in the UK? Does it need adapting?

I think I read a thread somewhere that the Chinese amps are not safe in the UK that the transformers get saturated due to a mismatch in the voltage. It may have been on a different forum.

I know that the UK is supposed to be 230v now to bring us in line with Europe but I have also read that its still really 240v due to some sort of trickery.

I am afraid I have never really understood volts and amps despite having an O Level in physics many years ago. I think I learned Ohms law by rote and resistance etc but its all a bit fuzzy now.

I presume that the is the YAQIN MS-12B is 220v +-10% according to the sticker on it that it has a 22v safety margin either side of 220v which would allow it to work up to 240v if I am understanding correctly should be fine.

I have read somewhere of them failing in the UK. My Little Dot MKIVse headphone amp didn't last long, there was a burning smell and the volume dropped considerably, despite changing the valves, maybe a resistor went or something.

Thanks

TomTomClub

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 9, 2011
SE London
AKA
Tom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi guys, can you tell me if the YAQIN MS-12B is safe to use in the UK? Does it need adapting?

I think I read a thread somewhere that the Chinese amps are not safe in the UK that the transformers get saturated due to a mismatch in the voltage. It may have been on a different forum.

I know that the UK is supposed to be 230v now to bring us in line with Europe but I have also read that its still really 240v due to some sort of trickery.

I am afraid I have never really understood volts and amps despite having an O Level in physics many years ago. I think I learned Ohms law by rote and resistance etc but its all a bit fuzzy now.

I presume that the is the YAQIN MS-12B is 220v +-10% according to the sticker on it that it has a 22v safety margin either side of 220v which would allow it to work up to 240v if I am understanding correctly should be fine.

I have read somewhere of them failing in the UK. My Little Dot MKIVse headphone amp didn't last long, there was a burning smell and the volume dropped considerably, despite changing the valves, maybe a resistor went or something.

Thanks
I have been using one for over a year with no problems whatsoever. Excellent value for money valve phono stage with a line out too.

If you're going to purchase from HK just make sure you request the 240v version. You may have wait a bit longer, but it'll have been worth it. Strange really because everything in Hong Kong itself is 240v...

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
No linger active on this forum
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have been using one for over a year with no problems whatsoever. Excellent value for money valve phono stage with a line out too.If you're going to purchase from HK just make sure you request the 240v version. You may have wait a bit longer, but it'll have been worth it. Strange really because everything in Hong Kong itself is 240v...
I think you'll find Hong Kong is 220V, not 240V.

UK supply is 240V in reality. This topic comes up on a regular basis.

I have measured my supply at 246V. I wouldn't use a 220V rated unit on the UK supply. I would also want to see proper CE marking. Some may argue that this is just a load of bureaucratic nonsense, but your insurance company may have a different view in the even of a fire, or damage, arising from the use of a non CE marked piece of equipment. If you're thinking of buying from abroad, you should also consider: the potential problems with any warranty claims (you'll have to pay to return to the seller and, unless you're nifty on your feet with the correct paperwork, you'll have to pay import duty and VAT again when it comes back from repair); VAT, duty and fees payable on importation; questionable QC from some manufacturers in this part of the world.

Your money, your choice though.

eldarvanyar

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 1, 2011
Thanks for taking the time to apply, I measured my mains voltage at around 236 to 238v ac on my multimeter at the mains socket.

Where does the 220v + or - 10% play its part? Do I have 22v margin on my amp?

Thanks again

Radioham

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have found that the majority of the 220V transformer products from China do get very hot. I know that modern material in transformers can take quite a high temperature, but I prefer the better designed products where they stay cool or just slightly warm.

Jason P

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2009
Somerset
AKA
Errr...Jason
My Yaqin amp was fine - didn't get too hot and had no reliability problems. You could look into a bucking transformer to step 240 to 220 (google it to see how they're made) and I think there's a few off the shelf step downs around - not ridiculously expensive but can't vouch for the quality.

silencio

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2010
Sofia, Bulgaria
AKA
Chris
Thanks for taking the time to apply, I measured my mains voltage at around 236 to 238v ac on my multimeter at the mains socket.Where does the 220v + or - 10% play its part? Do I have 22v margin on my amp?

Thanks again
In theory you should be fine from 198-242. In theory... One way to deal with this is to check your local electrical supply shop - mauy be they have a cheap and reliable transformer, that can be set to 220V. Of course, the CE markings and warnings apply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.