Linn Owners

Konfig reaches retirement age…

dol

Wammer
Feb 3, 2019
This is terrible news and should be fought.
1. We lose control of our purchased items and resort to some abstract cloud service to configure and use it. It started with the TuneIN radio service. But this is far worse. Just wait until the access becomes a subscription.
2. For me in two apartments, SOv2 is a no go, so must continue with SOv1.
3. I have no desire to use a cloud service and a Linn account to use my product.

Reactions: Nestor Turton

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't see any reference to do with the software version or any obvious way to update anything ?
For reasons best known to Linn, the notification and ability to update Davaar is in the Linn App, not your Account. Personally, it would make a lot of sense for it to reside in the Account, but hey ho…

’troll

LSPC

LSPC
Wammer
Sep 19, 2020
Poole,Dorset
AKA
Lee.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don’t think Konfig is finished just not taken any further…. No updates , it’s whether they bother to writing updates for legacy products in the Linn app or just for current models. Hopefully they will as some Akurate kit will potentially still have 4+ year’s warranty and have Linn support 🤞

Last edited:
Reactions: Nestor Turton

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is terrible news and should be fought.
1. We lose control of our purchased items and resort to some abstract cloud service to configure and use it. It started with the TuneIN radio service. But this is far worse. Just wait until the access becomes a subscription.
2. For me in two apartments, SOv2 is a no go, so must continue with SOv1.
3. I have no desire to use a cloud service and a Linn account to use my product.
As has been noted in a couple of posts, Konfig will not be taken away from you, it just won’t be developed further and will continue to run until your PC/MAC operating system reaches a stage where it will no longer run. I’m assuming that no more Davaar updates will be delivered via Konfig. It’s up to you if you want to lock yourself out of these.

Regarding the adherence to SOv1, again, you’ll still have access to Konfig, but v1 hasn’t changed since v2 appeared AFAIK. Entirely your choice.

’troll

Billz

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Was it in your Linn Account at this stage?
Yes, that was the first thing I did, so I could setup my inputs, Qobuz, etc. A few days later, I wondered if there was a software update for it and fired up Konfig on my old laptop, there was and Konfig updated the DS.

• Thanks
Reactions: Moomintroll

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, that was the first thing I did, so I could setup my inputs, Qobuz, etc. A few days later, I wondered if there was a software update for it and fired up Konfig on my old laptop, there was and Konfig updated the DS.
Ah, and do you routinely use the Linn app or a different control point? It could be that things just hadn’t caught up with the new kit. As I understand it, the Konfig and Linn account databases aren’t linked, or, at least, don’t communicate changes made in one, to the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: LSPC

LSPC

LSPC
Wammer
Sep 19, 2020
Poole,Dorset
AKA
Lee.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
But I don't see anywhere in the docs where it mentions updating system firmware etc. (I haven't read every word!). Nor anything in my actual Linn account.
Don’t think you will at present until Linn let’s us do updates on the Linn app . It has manage system on the Linn ap at bottom of the page but refers you to Konfig to update system, no point in doing that as it has reached its end 😕

Reactions: Geoff_UK

Billz

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ah, and do you routinely use the Linn app or a different control point? It could be that things just hadn’t caught up with the new kit. As I understand it, the Konfig and Linn account databases aren’t linked, or, at least, don’t communicate changes made in one, to the other.
I mainly use Roon but occasionally use the Linn app for playback. I login to my Linn account regularly, especially if I am changing settings on my DS.

I’m a bit confused as to where I find future updates to the firmware of my DS if not using Konfig. Is it the App or in my account? As far as I’m aware, the app does not allow changes to the DS and is only a control point.

If I open Konfig on my Laptop and an update is available for the DS, it shows this on the menu bar clearly, saying ‘Update Available…’. I have never seen this in the Linn App or when I login to my Linn account. Without Konfig, how will I know when an update is available?

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good riddance! What a ridiculously archaic system of logging into a PC/laptop to update a box that plays music. I wonder why anyone bothers, except the fantasists who often wrote how much better their DS sounds with each update. FFS!

Why updates aren’t automatic, or available on the Linn app already is astonishing given the investment Linn make in ‘hewn from solid’ casework. I scarcely use a laptop these days and I’m sure many only use a phone or tablet.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry, there are updates via Linn App and Linn account. 🤷🏻‍♂️
If that was a reply to me, then it’s not on my Akurate, unless I’m mistaken - which is quite often. (Post #15 seems to reference this)

I‘m sure if I bought a brand new Selekt or Klimax it would already be covered.

Last edited:

LSPC

LSPC
Wammer
Sep 19, 2020
Poole,Dorset
AKA
Lee.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Linn app refers my ASH back to Konfig at present for updates which has no more updates 🙄 Hope Linn decides to sort this in the Linn app/ account 🤞👍

Reactions: Billz and Nopiano

dikki

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2019
Amsterdam
www.dikki.nl
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry, there are updates via Linn App and Linn account. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I'm pretty sure it depends on the system. Mine (MDSM3) does not allow it. I go to the Linn app, choose update systems and get a message that it is not supported.

I don't think it is a good idea from a marketing perspective to first tell your customers you're going to sunset an app, but develop an alternative for some users later.

I also think Linn will not leave me behind.

LSPC

LSPC
Wammer
Sep 19, 2020
Poole,Dorset
AKA
Lee.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And was advised by my Linn guru not to use Linn app and Konfig /beta side by side ,just use whatever you prefer for now until Linn app is consolidated 👍

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And was advised by my Linn guru not to use Linn app and Konfig /beta side by side ,just use whatever you prefer for now until Linn app is consolidated 👍
I’ve found that to be good advice anyway, not just now.

’troll

Reactions: LSPC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online