Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looking for a new compact to replace an aging and tired Canon compact. Quite fancy a Leica D-Lux. I know that the Lumix LX100 is pretty much the same, but are there any reasons to favour one over the other, apart from

• Panny is cheaper
  • Leica has longer guarantee
  • Its a Leica!
  • I believe the Leica comes with a licence of Adobe Light Room?

Sumdumgi

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've the grey 109. It's a lovely little camera and performs really well. It is beautifully built, better warrantly and comes with a standalone licence for LR6 and is indeed a Leica ! When you take those facts into account the price differential is not that much. I got mine on an offer from Cliftons a few months back with £70 off.

There's a nice Crumpler bag which fits it beautifully too.

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've the grey 109. It's a lovely little camera and performs really well. It is beautifully built, better warrantly and comes with a standalone licence for LR6 and is indeed a Leica ! When you take those facts into account the price differential is not that much. I got mine on an offer from Cliftons a few months back with £70 off.There's a nice Crumpler bag which fits it beautifully too.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
thanks

exactly my way of thinking. I was looking at the grey 109, from the pictures it looks lovely. No offers on at the moment.

Jag

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Apr 29, 2010
Rustington
AKA
Jag
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I bought a grey Leica 109 and just taken a few shots which look excellent so can recommend it, I tried the Moment lenses with the Moment case on my iPhone 6S Plus model mainly for the portrait or tight shots. However the Moment 60mm add on lens seems soft at the edges and fairly obvious but still very sharp in the centre so can get away with it, the Leica 109 has many advantages and do not really use mine and thinking of possibly selling it as the M9P is my preferred camera although not as portable go everywhere machine as the 109 and not as cute.

Sumdumgi

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks, that looks like my mind is made up then.
This is the bag I bought Simon. Very light and holds the camera/strap, spare battery and room for a wallet or similar.

I see a couple of dealers offering 3 months Creative Cloud rather than the standalone LR6 so just be sure which way you want to go.

http://www.crumpler.eu/base-layer-camera-cube-xs-burned-orange?___store=cgb_english&gclid=CjwKEAjwtLO7BRDax4-I4_6G71USJAA6FjN1Ly7U7xcjHwktQuWn7OaXzI78y2AjdMDkuh0DeAAdqBoClBvw_wcB

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is the bag I bought Simon. Very light and holds the camera/strap, spare battery and room for a wallet or similar.I see a couple of dealers offering 3 months Creative Cloud rather than the standalone LR6 so just be sure which way you want to go.

http://www.crumpler.eu/base-layer-camera-cube-xs-burned-orange?___store=cgb_english&gclid=CjwKEAjwtLO7BRDax4-I4_6G71USJAA6FjN1Ly7U7xcjHwktQuWn7OaXzI78y2AjdMDkuh0DeAAdqBoClBvw_wcB
That bag looks great, thank you. I'd spotted the Creative Cloud rather than standalone LR6. Actually, I'd forgotten that I have access to CC through work, if I want it.

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is the bag I bought Simon. Very light and holds the camera/strap, spare battery and room for a wallet or similar.I see a couple of dealers offering 3 months Creative Cloud rather than the standalone LR6 so just be sure which way you want to go.

Unbeknown to me, having ordered the camera my Mrs ordered me one of these as she said it went perfect well with the retro aesthetic of the camera.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MegaGear-Protective-Leather-Camera-Digital-Brown/dp/B00XCAZ7SK?ie=UTF8&ref_=pe_385721_138518241_TE_item

Sumdumgi

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unbeknown to me, having ordered the camera my Mrs ordered me one of these as she said it went perfect well with the retro aesthetic of the camera.....https://www.amazon.co.uk/MegaGear-Protective-Leather-Camera-Digital-Brown/dp/B00XCAZ7SK?ie=UTF8&ref_=pe_385721_138518241_TE_item
There are lots of those around for a variety of cameras and they seem OK - I went for the Crumpler as it's a bit more flexible. I use three Crumplers which can all be slipped in to a back pack, the XS for the D-Lux, a Crumpler Cube M for the Fuji X-T1 which holds the camera with lens fixed and a second Cube M which holds my other Fuji lenses. Out of step I have a Fuji X100 in an official Fuji leather case - I haven't found a Crumpler that fits it yet !

All of these fit quite nicely into a smallish Berghaus 247 20 back pack with individual protection whilst travelling and gives me a range of bags to use whilst I'm out depending on needs - or alternatively carry the lot ! We're off to Norway soon so I'll be taking all of those but on a day to day basis I'll mix and match depending on what we are doing that day.

I'm sure you will enjoy the D-Lux, my wife loves ours and rarely uses anything else despite the fact we have the above and a Nikon D7000 with lenses. The out of camera Jpegs are great, we don't use .RAW at all and they need little work in LR6 (I maily shoot Jpeg with Fuji too) The little flash is quite neat and very effective and it's a compact that you can either leave on automatic and get excellent results or has a wide range of manual options.

Enjoy and post the results here !

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks again..... yes we have a range of crumplers, for the EOS 5d and loads of lenses, depending on which one we are using.... Camera arrives on Tuesday, can't wait.

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Simon - I'm giving thought to getting myself one of these, and LCE have a used one in 5-star condition for less than a new LX100. After a few days' use, how are things going with the D-Lux?

Huge thanks for any info. :)

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Richard, its a great camera to use, had it at a gig on the weekend, but haven't had a chance to look at the photo's yet. In use it is easy to use, and all the controls are intuitive. Looking at the pictures I have taken, they all appear very natural and accurate. I will when I get a moment post up some photos.

I would recommend buying the auto lens cap (Leica ones are £50, Chinese copies much less). I am still not 100% convinced about he 'ever ready' case we bought, as it kind of gets in the way.

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Simon - that's all stuff worth knowing. :^

I'm basically after a camera which can travel around with me (and remain) in the car - the short-range zoom of the LX/D-Lux appeals too. If I'm out and about and see something worth photo'ing, something like this would be ideal.

Sumdumgi

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Richard - as I said above it's a great carry around

https://flic.kr/p/HREwkW

James D-Lux by Les, on Flickr

This is a Jpeg straight out of the camera, just cropped to make my grandson more central in the pic.

https://flic.kr/p/DjXfrq

Down by Les, on Flickr

This is a Jpeg, little bit of clarity and exposure tweak in LR6.

You will love it !

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Les - they're damn fine images, nice bit of subject isolation in the photo of the little chap too. :)

We can get family discount at John Lewis (12% on audio-visual) which would bring an LX100 down to £475 brand new - this is tempting (especially as JL offer a statutory 2 yr warranty). I do prefer the look of the 'Lux though - such things are not unimportant. ;-)

Sumdumgi

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do prefer the look of the 'Lux though - such things are not unimportant. ;-)
The Leica looks much better and that's a fact - it's only money :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online