Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2009
Bristol, , United Ki
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
But, a camera is to take photos. Paying % more for Leica when Pan does same job cheaper is essentially vanity?

"Look at me, I've got a ....."

Still, it makes the world go (expensively) round.

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
But, a camera is to take photos. Paying % more for Leica when Pan does same job cheaper is essentially vanity?"Look at me, I've got a ....."

Still, it makes the world go (expensively) round.
The Leica version comes with a licence of LR, has a longer warranty and is marked "made in Japan", as opposed to the Panasonic, "made in china". I did read some reports of QC issues with the Panasonic, but nothing confirmed. But yes in some senses it is vanity.......

ssfas

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2013
London, UK
AKA
Steven
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The Leica looks much better and that's a fact - it's only money :D
I've had a DLux6 for some years. Great little camera. Bought it mainly for the f/1.7 lens as previously had a f/2.0 Canon S90 ( the first RAW camera that could fit in a small trouser pocket). It also has a useful grip accessory. The Canon is still in use - one of my kids is taking it to Cuba tomorrow.

I now now have a bigger f/1.7, the lovely Leica Q.

P.s. Thanks for the like on some of my b/w, taken with my Leica MM. Yes, I like Leica. Even my bargain s/h Sony a7r has Leica glass on it.

Sumdumgi

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorted - the badge snob in me won in the end :)
:D - Good man !

When you you look for a spare battery (inevitable) steer clear of the cheap replacements on Amazon. The 'official' BP-DC15 is currently £55 and free delivery at Jessops. I bought a pair of Wasabi or something or other, one drained after about 30 shots and couldn't hold a charge and the other was so tight to get into the compartment I binned it in case once it went in it wouldn't come out !

Also another heads up for the excellent Crumpler bag I use - http://www.crumpler.eu/base-layer-camera-cube-xs-burned-orange?___store=cgb_english&gclid=CjwKEAjwtLO7BRDax4-I4_6G71USJAA6FjN1Ly7U7xcjHwktQuWn7OaXzI78y2AjdMDkuh0DeAAdqBoClBvw_wcB

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the tips, Les - especially re the batteries. I'll have a chat with the guys at LCE who sell Hahnel batteries which were always a good non-OEM choice for DSLRs etc.

Leamington Spa LCE are sending the D-Lux to Lincoln for me so will be picking it up on thursday. Looking forward to it. :)

Sumdumgi

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a spare, little-used Hähnel (HL-PLG10 7.2V 820mAh) from Jessops if anyone's interested. :)
The Leica BPC-DC15 is 1025 Amh 7.2v

I've no idea how they compare in real world use though I use spare Hahnel batteries in my Fuji X-T1 and X100 quite happily.

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A bit of a mini-saga with my nice little D-Lux - I discovered some muck on the sensor (visible at f5.6 - very visible f8 and beyond)...

Dirty Sensor 3 by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

So a couple of weeks ago it got sent back to LCE Leamington Spa for it to be cleaned. Got the camera back today and whilst the spot has gone, the object which looks like a bit of hair is still extremely visible under the same conditions. Bit p*ssed off to be honest as clearly whoever did the 'clean' didn't check their work. I'm giving them one more chance.

Sumdumgi

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Shame that Richard. Given it was returned specifically because of that I'd  be pretty brassed off. There is a spot on the left as well as the 'hair' - or is that my screen !

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Les - rest easy my friend, the spot's due to the camera. :)

It's doubly annoying as was really looking forward to using the little Leica at the *Heckington Show this weekend, would be the perfect for snapping people shots in crowds.

*highly recommended day out if anyone's ever down/up Lincs way. :)

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's poor service Richard.  I feel your pain for not being able to use it when planned.

Mr Cat

Honourable Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
not good service.. .:(

couple of questions if I may - I didn't think it would be possible tio get dust of a fixed lens senser..? how it it possible?

and I was watching a video of the Leica D-lux type 109 and this one guys was saying that it's not the type of camera where you'd simply point and shoot - as you have to think about what pics you're going to be taking to get the best out of it (fairly sure it was this video) - 

is that the case?

cheers

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've looked into ways of cleaning the sensor on one of these cameras but it's a wee bit tricky as the lens is obviously fixed to the body. Whilst it's under the dealer's warranty I'd much rather they deal with the issue.

As for the dust itself getting in, there's always going to be the danger of this whilst the lens is extended/retracting on switch on/off. As the lens pops out, there will be a mild vacuum produced inside the camera and of course this is bound to suck particles in over time.

• Upvote
Reactions: Mr Cat

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
and I was watching a video of the Leica D-lux type 109 and this one guys was saying that it's not the type of camera where you'd simply point and shoot - as you have to think about what pics you're going to be taking to get the best out of it (fairly sure it was this video) - 
no - not true, it is a sophisticated camera, but you can use it as a point and shoot.  It takes damn fine photos using it like this.  Mine hasn't had a great deal of use since it arrived - but I have only used it like this. 

Personally, to get the best out of any camera I'd say you need to understand the settings and understand the limitations of the point and shoot mode, think about framing etc......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online