Leica D-lux or Panasonic Lumix LX100

Mr Cat

Honourable Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
no - not true, it is a sophisticated camera, but you can use it as a point and shoot.  It takes damn fine photos using it like this.  Mine hasn't had a great deal of use since it arrived - but I have only used it like this. 

Personally, to get the best out of any camera I'd say you need to understand the settings and understand the limitations of the point and shoot mode, think about framing etc......
thanks for that - that's what I thought... still doesn't help me decide tho haha..!

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
^^ Lovely photo Simon
Agreed :^

Still chasing my D-Lux - 2 weeks now since it was sent for sensor-cleaning (for the 2nd time). Phoned dealer this morning who've said they'll give their repair chap the 'hurry up'. Trouble is, I tend to be very calm about things but if someone/something really p*sses me off I then go totally f*cking nuclear. They're walking on thin ice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
:D

I'd be in my 'get me the manager' mode by now !
Indeed - I've told them I will have the camera back by tuesday as we're off on holiday the day after. If not, it's refund time. One of the reasons I got the D-Lux in the first place was to have something (almost) pocketable for family holidays. Frustratingly, with our John Lewis discount, I could've got an LX100 with 3 years' warranty (including accidental damage cover) for less than I paid for the Leica.

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A complete clusterf*ck. The D-Lux arrived back at *LCE Lincoln this morning. Sensor is now clean, but none of the camera's rear buttons function. In other words, the whole situation is an utter festering crock of shit. Spoke to the originating dealer on the phone (from Lincoln shop) who didn't even offer an apology for the inconvenience caused by their repairer's 'workmanship'. This little camera (which I've been otherwise v happy with) was going to be just perfect for our family hols this week.

*Who've been absolutely brilliant with helping out sending/receiving the Leica to/from the originating dealer on my behalf - no complaints from me at all.

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
A complete clusterf*ck. The D-Lux arrived back at *LCE Lincoln this morning. Sensor is now clean, but none of the camera's rear buttons function. In other words, the whole situation is an utter festering crock of shit. Spoke to the originating dealer on the phone (from Lincoln shop) who didn't even offer an apology for the inconvenience caused by their repairer's 'workmanship'. This little camera (which I've been otherwise v happy with) was going to be just perfect for our family hols this week.

*Who've been absolutely brilliant with helping out sending/receiving the Leica to/from the originating dealer on my behalf - no complaints from me at all.
Really sorry to hear this Richard  :(

Have they offered anything by way of a loaner unit or similar whilst they fix their mistake? This way you won't be without on your family hols this week.

I know it's not LCE Lincoln's fault, but as a company, they should club together to see that you aren't disadvantaged by their cock-up.

Fingers crossed you get an acceptable outcome matey 👍

Lefty 

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Amar - I just demanded an on-the-spot refund in the end. :(

I'm giving thought to going for a Panny LX100 from John Lewis - can get 12% discount plus a 3 yr warranty for an extra £30. That would make it less than what I paid for the Leica. Need to act quickly though - going away on thurs.

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Bummer!  You'll have to settle for all those Fuji bits and bobs you've got.

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bummer!  You'll have to settle for all those Fuji bits and bobs you've got.
TK - was really hoping to just take the one camera as we're really pushed for space. Would've been fun to try a 'one camera' holiday (and Mrs G would've been happier too). :D

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
Thanks Amar - I just demanded an on-the-spot refund in the end. :(

I'm giving thought to going for a Panny LX100 from John Lewis - can get 12% discount plus a 3 yr warranty for an extra £30. That would make it less than what I paid for the Leica. Need to act quickly though - going away on thurs.
I don't blame you for wanting a refund after all that! 

The John Lewis LX100 sounds like a good option to me. 👍

Lefty

• Upvote
Reactions: Gromit

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't blame you for wanting a refund after all that! 

The John Lewis LX100 sounds like a good option to me. 👍

Lefty
And...Panasonic have a £50 cashback offer on at the moment too which would put the price of the basic camera (not including the extra for warranty) well under £400. Another handy thing is the JL warranty covers accidental damage (this is missing in the latest Leica 3 year warranty). Don't get me wrong, the D-Lux is a super little camera but being able to pick up a new LX100 for not much over half the price of the Leica it's making a strong case for itself. The Panny doesn't come with LR6 though but I'm now running CC anyway.

Not sure I'll have time to sort it before going away though, so it looks like the good old X100T will be going. :)

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
There are definitely worse cameras to have on holiday than the X100T. Especially with the WCL and TCL conversion lenses. 

Where are you off to? Looking forward to pictures when you get back :)

Lefty 

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are definitely worse cameras to have on holiday than the X100T. Especially with the WCL and TCL conversion lenses. 

Where are you off to? Looking forward to pictures when you get back :)

Lefty 
1. True. :)

2. We're off to stay with friends in Normandy for a few days - an area of France I have a lot of affection for. Saying that I have a lot of affection for France, full stop - apart from Paris which isn't really France.

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Enjoy La Belle France.  I'm missing our annual pilgrimage to the southern parts of France, hopefully we'll back into it next year.

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
1. True. :)

2. We're off to stay with friends in Normandy for a few days - an area of France I have a lot of affection for. Saying that I have a lot of affection for France, full stop - apart from Paris which isn't really France.
Excellent - look forward to the pics and more importantly, have a great time!

Lefty

• Upvote
Reactions: Gromit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles