Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm still continuing my search for my next preamp, and I'm now considering the LTA MICROZOTL preamplifier using a David Berning inspired design.

It is about £4k new, so not outrageous, fully balanced, and has some extremely impressive reviews.

Any comments or thoughts?? Audiogon seems abuzz with chat about it. Better than an AR Ref6?

Last edited by a moderator:

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I cant help you with the LTA James, but I ought to point out that there's an Ayre K-5xe 'Evolution' pre on eBay currently @ £1850. However, as I am watching it (idly) the seller has offered £400 off!

Should you watch it (if its still there) you may get the same offer.

I have one and I like it. Its the equal of the Audio Research LS26. Ayre are noted for their balanced technology and I know you are in the balanced camp.

Jack NSM.

Reactions: antonio66

jahsavage

Ponder Guy
Wammer
Apr 27, 2013
The Mendips
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The preamp has a good pedigree but where can you hear it? Personally I would wait until the Hi-Fi Shows start again.

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The preamp has a good pedigree but where can you hear it? Personally I would wait until the Hi-Fi Shows start again.
Good advice.

The problem I'm in, like many others, is that quite large investments are needed in order to step things up, so as you say, £4k+ without audition is hard to swallow.

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
https://youtu.be/4gEUhdK0v4I

Looks like David Berning is actively involved in LTA, I didn't realise that. Thought they were just using his zotl philosophy.

Also interested that they listened to a "bunch" of caps including V-cap odams that I chose for my dac, and they preferred clarity cap CMR. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Frizbriz

Frizzy
Wammer
May 14, 2018
New forest
AKA
Laurie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I owned a Zotl pre, it was a stunning bit of kit, ruthless of partnering kit. It had a touch of valve warmth, but was scary revealing in a good musical fashion. I had mine with zotl power and esl57 where it’s balance was near perfect. I would say it’s lean, clean and light on its feet, not huge tonal saturation but is easily tuned to taste with some tube rolling.

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I owned a Zotl pre, it was a stunning bit of kit, ruthless of partnering kit. It had a touch of valve warmth, but was scary revealing in a good musical fashion. I had mine with zotl power and esl57 where it’s balance was near perfect. I would say it’s lean, clean and light on its feet, not huge tonal saturation but is easily tuned to taste with some tube rolling.
Thanks. I'm definitely looking for transparency and neutrality in the sound.

I'm also considering the Opera consonance linear1 with is a DHT configuration and transformer coupled, using 101D tubes. That is also supposed to be lean and neutral, based on Stereo.net forum owners in Oz who own one.

Decisions decisions.

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I cant help you with the LTA James, but I ought to point out that there's an Ayre K-5xe 'Evolution' pre on eBay currently @ £1850. However, as I am watching it (idly) the seller has offered £400 off!

Should you watch it (if its still there) you may get the same offer.

I have one and I like it. Its the equal of the Audio Research LS26. Ayre are noted for their balanced technology and I know you are in the balanced camp.

Jack NSM.
Just contact the seller direct, let him you are interested and that you understand some watchers have been offered £400 off, would he do you the same deal, guess your set on valves though.

Frizbriz

Frizzy
Wammer
May 14, 2018
New forest
AKA
Laurie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Re Berning pre, it’s worth looking to states for s/h stock as the amps are universal voltage, with all usual caveats of course.

Reactions: Psilonaught

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online