I told you it wasn't important
Wammer
Dec 30, 2006
Earth 2
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can understand the dislike of the Linn sound compared to many other kit its bit gray tonally and thin sounding but I find it hits the spot with its clarity, timing, detail and insight into the recording, so as ever its upto what you want from you HiFi. The good thing about looking at Linns finances is that it shows how their kit may seem to be way over priced but in reality its not as roughly 12.5% pre tax profits seem reasonable to me.

HectorHughMunro

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
London, , United Kin
Really £2.19m isn't that much. A globally significant company and they only make as much as a decent sized house costs in zone 1 central London. I also saw a statistic that the whole US high end market is worth less than a company like Breitling.

uctpa08

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 26, 2009
Crystal Palace
AKA
Rich
Linn aren't a globally significant company. Their turnover was £17m. On that basis, £2.2m profit is a great performance. But for all the 'big name', Linn are small.

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Linn aren't a globally significant company. Their turnover was £17m. On that basis, £2.2m profit is a great performance. But for all the 'big name', Linn are small.
No they may not be significant in turnover/profit terms but their success globally as a small enterprise is excellent - and not just Linn but the other UK providers.

MrSammy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 25, 2009
Wirral & London,
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Let us hope that they run it like a traditional German family manufacturing business where the longer term prospects of the company take over from the immediate concerns of next quarter's profits. I would like to them to be around in 50 years time still employing people.

Central London housing is now just for the world's ultra rich to hedge themselves against inflation and their own currencies deflating.

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Let us hope that they run it like a traditional German family manufacturing business where the longer term prospects of the company take over from the immediate concerns of next quarter's profits. I would like to them to be around in 50 years time still employing people.
Amen.

T

twoblacklines

I was wondering how companies such as Accoustic Energy make a profit only the other day.

Designed and Engineered in England, Made in Malaysia, so cheap labour but high quality.

Yet the company networth is MINUS £980k, howcome they havent gone under?

uctpa08

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 26, 2009
Crystal Palace
AKA
Rich
Because their cashflow is sufficient to cover their day to day needs, and their creditors haven't called in their debts. In practice, they're likely to have investors who are 'waiting' for their return to show up.

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I did maths on it - they seem to be saying they sell a turntable a day. I would have expected more than that.
I would have thought that pretty good. Combined with their being so many LP12s in use there must be good business in parts and upgrades.

Gforce

So long, and thanks for all the Fish
Wammer Plus
Feb 3, 2011
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's good to see Linn managing to stay in profit :^

had the fruitbox for over 20yrs and I still enjoy it on the rare occasions I'm not listening to digital these days, only recently got into trying out the Linto and LK100 but they sound nice with my setup and "Grey" is not how I would describe the sound I'm hearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online