Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2009
Somewhere
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am about to relocate my system and having monoblock amps I would like to know whether it's preferable to have long speaker cables and short interconnects or the other way round. 

Fourlegs

WAVE Digital Cables
Wammer
May 5, 2014
Melton Mowbray
www.wavehighfidelity.com
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I think the consensus is that short speaker cables and longer interconnects are the best option but this is the Wam so you get 98 different answers ranging from it doesn't matter either way to why not buy all in one DAC/AMP/Speakers.

I have my monoblocks right next to each speaker so the speaker cables are only 80cm long.

mr.me

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2009
Somewhere
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Single ended RCA interconnects. Probably talking about 6m

Last edited by a moderator:

Bodgit

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2019
Woking
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Single ended RCA interconnects. Probably talking about 6m
I'd probably go for shorter interconnects and longer speaker cable runs then. Two reasons (a) metre for meter I think you'll pay more for interconnects than speaker cables or put it another way - better quality interconnects will have a bigger advantage than better quality speaker cables (b) longer interconnects give higher risk of noise.

So decent quality but short interconnects coupled with longer and less-quality speaker cables if you get my drift.

• Upvote
Reactions: Rayymondo

Speedskater

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 27, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
AKA
Kevin Graf
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The first thing to look at is the loudspeaker impedance curve. If it looks like a roller coaster track or has very low impedance at high frequencies (think Apogee) then shorter speaker cables are called for.

For longer RCA interconnects (6 meters), chose a coax with a heavy braided shield.

Trunky

Smarter than the average bear
Wammer
Feb 1, 2016
Heswall
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The first thing to look at is the loudspeaker impedance curve. If it looks like a roller coaster track or has very low impedance at high frequencies (think Apogee) then shorter speaker cables are called for.
Can you explain why? I'd like to see hard evidence for that.

tIANcI

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 20, 2019
Malaysia
AKA
Wilson
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
XLR is of good quality (not meaning expensive) will happily work with a 30’ run. Since you have monoblocks, leave them by the speaker. Looks great too.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The ideal is as short a length of speaker cable as possible .. however the same is true of RCA cables - so unless you have balanced connections from pre to power amps then a long run of RCA  cable defeats the objective and is probably worse than running long lengths of speaker cable.  Long lengths of RCA coax can be microphonic and if tapped or walked on will induce sound.

So if you do not have balanced out from pre and balanced in on your amps it may be better to run long speaker leads .. Perhaps there are some wammers in here who have tried both and can impart their views?

• Upvote
Reactions: greybeard

Camverton

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2009
Herefordshire
AKA
Malcolm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In the past I have tried varying the length of speaker vs interconnect cables and also used balanced when I had BT amp. My conclusion fwiw is that within a domestic setup, even when connecting between rooms, I didn't notice any long term difference. In the short term I suppose every change made a short term improvement but that was down to listening more intently after a change! I don't even bother to keep my speaker cables equal lengths now. Listening is more enjoyable not worrying about these things or wondering if I should be doing blind testing  because someone on the internet keeps going on about it!

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some of my speakers do as well, sort of! Mind you they are Quad electrostatics.
Do those quads use different metal wires for different frequencies as well. If they don't, then they still haven't beat my friend at it :D

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do the maths.

Unless you have monster levels of power and/or cables (speaker or interconnect) with significant (unwanted) electrical properties, the main considerations are cost and the potential for interference pickup with long interconnects.

If it's a relatively large distance (relative in domestic hifi terms) I would probably use long speaker cables and short interconnects. But I'd also suggest that neither will be the 'wrong' solution.

Reactions: newlash09

mr.me

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2009
Somewhere
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for all your suggestions. I make my own speaker and interconnect cables. Because of room logistics ( did the move today) I have ended up with short speaker cables and long intreconnects, though the cable I use is quad screened, two braids and two foil. In fact it look as though one intercoonect will end up being twice the length as the other  o_O

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.