Linn Owners

LP 12 bounce question

orthobiz

New Wammer
Feb 12, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I brought one of my turntables to Thomas OK a few months back. I had "upgraded" to a Mober top plate and subchassis/arm board and cleverly used the installation of a new Karousel bearing as an excuse to let him truly balance the thing. This top plate has depressions built in that capture the rubber top grommets and make them almost impossible to turn. And I had a truly wonky bounce.
I loved watching him work and what struck me most was that he had to use the T-level to adjust the dangling spring support posts. I had thought for sure they were perfectly perpendicular but once done, the bounce became vertical.
Reading Peter Swain's manual on adjusting the bounce is also essential.
My plan is to never stray from the purist Linn fold again. "Better" is not always better!

Paul

John76

Wammer
Aug 14, 2020
USA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I brought one of my turntables to Thomas OK a few months back. I had "upgraded" to a Mober top plate and subchassis/arm board and cleverly used the installation of a new Karousel bearing as an excuse to let him truly balance the thing. This top plate has depressions built in that capture the rubber top grommets and make them almost impossible to turn. And I had a truly wonky bounce.
I loved watching him work and what struck me most was that he had to use the T-level to adjust the dangling spring support posts. I had thought for sure they were perfectly perpendicular but once done, the bounce became vertical.
Reading Peter Swain's manual on adjusting the bounce is also essential.
My plan is to never stray from the purist Linn fold again. "Better" is not always better!

Paul
You must mean the subchassis regarding having no room to turn the top grommet and spring. ThomasOK must have loved working on that one.

Attachments

• 00A3E970-68FD-4FCF-8041-DE2140F09C48.jpeg
    00A3E970-68FD-4FCF-8041-DE2140F09C48.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 13

gofast

Wammer
Jan 17, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why not use a locking nut, which has some plastic material in it - those wont shift. They are an alternative to using a threadlocking compound such as blue Loctite.

AbsoluteSoundGuy

New Wammer
Dec 8, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why not use a locking nut, which has some plastic material in it - those wont shift. They are an alternative to using a threadlocking compound such as blue Loctite.
the nuts are nylock nuts. at least they are on my LP-12, last fettled in 1996, moved across the USA twice, and still bounces perfectly.

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Fingernail polish, the retro version of Loctite, was only used a few decades back into the last millenium. There have been several nuts that have been used to replace the original plain nuts including nylocks and at least three different styles of turret nuts. The current nuts for the suspension are the latest version turret nut and they are the best and most consistent in my opinion. Nylocks, while they were used for the suspension springs for a number of years, are not a good choice for adjusting the springs. The plastic that allows them to grip the threads will not necessarily take the thread evenly and can actually push the nut off center in a way that makes the top surface tilt the washer. This is why Linn went away from them for the springs while using them for the other positions until the last few years. Now they use a flange nut for other positions and previously used a nut with an attached star washer. I still prefer the nylocks for most positions other than the springs.

Oh yeah, John76, I just loved working on that sub chassis. It is always a true pleasure to work with third party parts LP12 designed by people who don't know what they are doing (the majority in my experience). :rolleyes:

Last edited:

saxo

Wammer
Jan 26, 2020
France-Bretagne
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The LP12's that come from the Linn factory have excellent suspension rebound, does anyone know how Linn operates with all LP12's to get good suspension?
Thanks

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The LP12's that come from the Linn factory have excellent suspension rebound, does anyone know how Linn operates with all LP12's to get good suspension?
Thanks
Every LP12 is built by one person at an LP12 building station.
The larger main components are delivered to the station by one of the three factory robots.
The smaller components are in designated compartments at the station.
Its a very skilled and experience required process then boxed up and shipped to the dealer for final installation to the customers build requirements. 92E0DC72-4CBA-4928-A83B-C40D64AEAAAE.png

Reactions: Wenge1

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting. I thought LP12 were shipped in parts and assembled at the dealer(?)
It is possible but for quantity supply it’s built to standard spec.
Each complete assembly is shipped to the dealer unless special instructions or individual parts are required.
I’ve seen every level of LP12 being built and then off to the dealer for final fettling and installation. IMG_3549.JPG IMG_3550.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.