Martin Logan Electromotion ESL advice...

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Blimey Mac, I can't input usefully into this thread in any way, but great to see you're still around 😉

Reactions: macvisual

macvisual

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 6, 2008
Scotland
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Blimey Mac, I can't input usefully into this thread in any way, but great to see you're still around 😉
GREAT to hear from you Ian, yes, I’m still knocking about me old China….!
Hard to keep this old man down…..! Lol

Are you still using the Quad CDP-2 at all…?

Cheers;
Peter

macvisual

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 6, 2008
Scotland
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As much as I’d love to audition (maybe own) a pair of Quad 2805’s…..they would be too wide and bulky/chunky in our livingroom I’d say a main speakers, they wouldn’t get a thumbs up from her indoors, the ESL 57’s I owned many years ago had to (unfortunately) go as they were really too wide….although truly marvellous sounding….!! That wide open soundstage was utterly fabulous….great memories…

Even the pair of Magneplanar 0.6 speakers I owned 15yrs ago were touching on too much width, that’s why I’m looking at the ML’s.

macvisual

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 6, 2008
Scotland
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/re...alog-reviews/martin-logan-impression-esl-11a/

I really rate this journalist's opinion on speakers because he has listened to most of the legendary panel speakers from Quad, Magnepan, ML and Apogee and he rates the ESL 11 over the Apogee full range. That must be one hell of a speaker!

Tempted to try a pair Vs my 20.1.
Appreciate your input/reply, just read that full review of the 11a, wow seems very very impressive for sure….!!

A new pair of 11a’s seem to average around 13k, out of my money league unfortunately.

Regards;
Pete

Album56

Wammer
Jan 4, 2023
Bournemouth
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Over the decades I've owned a few Electrostatic speakers, Magneplan 0.6 and Quad 57's. Very open and detailed, but at times slightly lacking in the bass department a little......but I believe their wide open scale makes up for this.

So the Martin Logan Electromotion ESl speakers have recently caught my eye, they seem realistically priced at around 3k (or slightly over). I see there's a more expensive ESLx version at around 5k which I think has another bass driver.

So question is, are there any audio folk here that have had experience with the Electromotion ESL's...?...would love to hear your thoughts/listening experiences/ownership. Appreciated.

Cheers;
Peter
Scotland
Hi Peter
I have been enjoying the wonderful music from a pair of Martin Logan EM - ESLs & a REL Strata sub for a year.
I replaced some Dali Rubicon 2s & the difference ( improvement ) was night & day.
The MLs produce a big soundstage & are very resolving without being bright or tiring.
You already have experience of electrostatics so I won't go into how they have a wonderful holographic way of reproducing music, the speakers disappear in a big soundstage.
As everybody says they do need careful placement & I have found the distance to the wall behind to be critical but in my room 4 x 5.5 mtrs I get very good results with the panels 0.5 mtr from the rear wall so not too far out into the room.
Also the side walls & various bits of furniture to the side don't seem to cause a problem.
I drive them with a Lyngdorf TDAI -1120 which is amazingly programmable streamer amp which integrates the sub beautifully.
Just a pity we live so far apart ,you would be welcome to come along & listen.
Anyway from my experience I highly recommend you try some EM -ESLs.
Hear is a picture of my set up
Regards Mike
20230106_073813.jpg 20230106_073813.jpg 20230106_073532.jpg l

Attachments

• 20230106_073304.jpg
    20230106_073304.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66