SOLD ModWright LS100 Preamp with Phono Stage upgrade

SOLD

Vincent52

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2011
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
SOLD I scratched a long term itch last month and bought Lee M's SJS 1.5 Pre so my cherished black ModWright LS100 valve preamp is up for sale. It has served me wonderfully and has been in my system for nearly seven years. When Jack (BD Audio) was UK dealer ModWright's had quite a lengthy moment on the WAM and for good reason. It is built like a tank and really is very well specced with the excellent mm/mc phonostage upgrade, an internal Class A discrete headphone amp "fed via the tube driver stage" and a comprehensive 10 function remote. The amp received a service and comprehensive check up by Simon Shilton (of SJS) in July 2019 and received a clean bill of health. His detailed report is available.

The amp benefits from "tube rolling" and there is a very interesting thread (lets talk about tube rolling in the Modwright LS100 Pre) in the ModWright thread on Audiocircle. All of the stock valves have been upgraded in recent years with the two 6SN7 signal valves being replaced by NOS Jan Phillips during the recent service and the recifier valve has been swapped for a nice Mazda. The phono stage valves are currently two Mullard ECC82s set up for mm. For mc one of these is swapped out for a ECC83 which is also provided. I have spares for most of the valves (not sure about the rectifier) and any purchaser is welcome to have these.

So what does it sound like? Tonally one reviewer described it as "closer to neutral than romantic", but the signal valves make a difference and currently it has a pleasant richness (but not mellow or honey coloured) which clearly marks it out as a valve amp rather than solid state. My notes at the time of purchase mentioned dynamism, a deep soundstage with a 3D quality, good separation, and described it as being musical, detailed and clear. There are plenty of excellent reviews on line including this one which sounds about right.

https://www.the-ear.net/review-hard...00-and-kwa-100se-preamplifier-power-amplifier
With the added phono stage option the LS100 currently retails at £5235 and I am asking for £1700 collected. I have the original boxes so any buyer could arrange his/her own courier but especially given that it is a valve amp I would much prefer it to be collected, (I am near Skipton). This would also of course provide the opportunity to hear it in situ. Coffee and biscuits will be provided!

It is a grey day here at the moment so I will take some photos when the light improves.

Last edited:

Stuart

Wammer
New Wammer
Sep 18, 2015
Bedfordshire
AKA
Stuart
I scratched a long term itch last month and bought LeeM's SJS 1.5 Pre so my cherished black ModWright LS100 valve preamp is up for sale. It has served me wonderfully and has been in my system for nearly seven years. When Jack (BD Audio) was UK dealer ModWright's had quite a lengthy moment on the WAM and for good reason. It is built like a tank and really is very well specced with the excellent mm/mc phonostage upgrade, an internal Class A discrete headphone amp "fed via the tube driver stage" and a comprehensive 10 function remote. The amp received a service and comprehensive check up by Simon Shilton (of SJS) in July 2019 and received a clean bill of health. His detailed report is available.

The amp benefits from "tube rolling" and there is a very interesting thread (lets talk about tube rolling in the Modwright LS100 Pre) in the ModWright thread on Audiocircle. All of the stock valves have been upgraded in recent years with the two 6SN7 signal valves being replaced by NOS Jan Phillips during the recent service and the recifier valve has been swapped for a nice Mazda. The phono stage valves are currently two Mullard ECC82s set up for mm. For mc one of these is swapped out for a ECC83 which is also provided. I have spares for most of the valves (not sure about the rectifier) and any purchaser is welcome to have these.

So what does it sound like? Tonally one reviewer described it as "closer to neutral than romantic", but the signal valves make a difference and currently it has a pleasant richness (but not mellow or honey coloured) which clearly marks it out as a valve amp rather than solid state. My notes at the time of purchase mentioned dynamism, a deep soundstage with a 3D quality, good separation, and described it as being musical, detailed and clear. There are plenty of excellent reviews on line including this one which sounds about right.

https://www.the-ear.net/review-hard...00-and-kwa-100se-preamplifier-power-amplifier
With the added phono stage option the LS100 currently retails at £5235 and I am asking for £1700 collected. I have the original boxes so any buyer could arrange his/her own courier but especially given that it is a valve amp I would much prefer it to be collected, (I am near Skipton). This would also of course provide the opportunity to hear it in situ. Coffee and biscuits will be provided!

It is a grey day here at the moment so I will take some photos when the light improves.
Hi I have just been made aware if your post & you could be the answer to my prayers....
I was once a proud owner of the SWL 9.0 SE pre & loved it, but in a moment of madness sold it (to a nice guy) & replaced it with a Tom Evans Vibe 1.5.
I have regretted the decision ever since & the guy who had my pre is very happy & does not want to part with it.......
I will be very grateful if you can contact me.
I'm no good at this forum stuff (too old i'm afraid) so do not know how to privately mail you.

Many thanks
Stuart

Last edited:

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi I have just been made aware if your post & you could be the answer to my prayers....
I was once a proud owner of the SWL 9.0 SE pre & loved it, but in a moment of madness sold it (to a nice guy) & replaced it with a Tom Evans Vibe 1.5.
I have regretted the decision ever since & the guy who had my pre is very happy & does not want to part with it.......
I will be very grateful if you can contact me.
I'm no good at this forum stuff (too old i'm afraid) so do not know how to privately mail you.

Many thanks
Stuart
Stuart, to initiate a PM simply click on the username and the start conversation button (see photo) the write your message. Screenshot_20220331-121535.png

Reactions: Vincent52

MotherSky

The stone that killed two birds
Wammer
Jun 5, 2010
Shropshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having gone from an SWL 9.0 SE to the LS100 myself, I can assure the new owner that he's in for a real treat - it is a significantly more capable machine - I would also be happy to share valve recommendations should this be of interest - MH

Vincent52

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2011
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for that Macklow. Stuart's not a regular forum visitor, but I will pass your message on.(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.