New Audio Research LS27 owner advice....

Stills

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Portishead.
I recently purchased an Ls27 pre from this very forum with only 12 hours it from new:) I'm using with it a Mac source ,Electro ECD 2 dac , Bryston 7 monos and PMC IB2i. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it. At the moment I'm using vandamme balanced interconnects and mogami speaker cable, which although sounds nicely detailed can sound a touch edgy and flat at times. I've tried some audionote sogon interconnects which warmed things up a touch and added some richness (colour) but at £2000 is way over the top for what it did, also tried some Chord Anthem but it just sounded thick and recessed. I'm looking to buy used cables and wonder what cables other audio research owners use as its gonna get pricey I know.

Lastly, I know that the manual says 600 hours before the tubes settle, but is that realistic in the "burn in time" or is that manufacturer cods wallop? I've only reached 60 hours so far, which makes me wonder if I should hang back a bit on the cables front incase the sound has yet to change anymore?

Thanks in advance for your advice:)

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Firstly the LS27 is a lovely preamp and will certainly add a nice bit of warmth to your system and it is still a very detailed preamp. Yes, the preamp does need to burn in as the valves in the preamp need to settle in and the capacitors need a bit of time to form. The newer capacitors need more time, particularly the Teflon variety. Cables are somewhat controversial but you asked. The VanDamme and mogami are not the most transparent cables in the world and you have a seriously good system there. For a warmer sound try the classic Transparent Audio cables. You could get the Musicwave plusses or supers, with the price determined on whether you get the latest MM2, or the MM1s or the original XLs. You could try Cardas cables as they have a nice warm balance (but not the Golden References or Clears). These two sets of cables are still very detailed and will show off your system well.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yes it was so good to hear the improvements in my arc pre and took about 400 hours

incidentally if you do tire of the 27 , let me know I might buy it off you !!!

Stills

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Portishead.
yes it was so good to hear the improvements in my arc pre and took about 400 hours incidentally if you do tire of the 27 , let me know I might buy it off you !!!
Cheers Nutt, im still on 60 hours. It has actually got a touch warmer in tone since I first got it with 12 hours on. Might be my imagination but it seems easier on my ear.

I did actually think about a Ref 3 used but it was a touch too much cash.

I may give some Atlas cables a go next week , and try to get a demo on some transparent stuff, but it's bloody pricey!!

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
brill to continuing burn in but big no no to change cables as you won`t be able to assess them and if they are no good you won`t know whether its the atlas or the pre amp

let things settle , incidentally I currently use a 100 quid rfc cable pre power which is rather good [ 14k power amp ]

silencio

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2010
Sofia, Bulgaria
AKA
Chris
Before you splash the mortgage on cables, I'd suggest you look at some valve replacing, if you insist on tweaking the sound.

G

Cheers Nutt, im still on 60 hours. It has actually got a touch warmer in tone since I first got it with 12 hours on. Might be my imagination but it seems easier on my ear. I did actually think about a Ref 3 used but it was a touch too much cash.

I may give some Atlas cables a go next week , and try to get a demo on some transparent stuff, but it's bloody pricey!!
Stills,

with just 60 hours up the ARC pre is just starting to settle down, just play music get used too how it performs then in a few weeks have a bit of fun tube rolling,the last thing to worry about is the cables IMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.