Linn Owners

New speakers - what changes are required or advised?

DutchWillem

Wammer
Jan 17, 2019
Netherlands
AKA
Willem
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I will be replacing my speakers in a couple of weeks. The current setup is Klimax DS/1 >> Klimax Kontrol/1 >> Klimax Solos >> Akurate 242’s. All equipment is Dynamiked. I will be replacing the 242’s with passive Akubariks in a couple of weeks and this has got me thinking what I need or want to change once I have the Akubariks.

Cables
Currently I am using Linn K400 as a bi-wire cable from my Klimax Solos to my Akurate 242’s. I’m not sure if I will be driving the Akubariks bi-wired; the ones I heard at the dealers were driven single-wired and sounded brilliant. I will probably want to experiment on that, but I am curious about others’ experiences in this area? If I do decide to use single wires, there is no point in using the K400 so I could eather buy new cables (K200 ?) or just split up the K400’s to create “old style K200’s”. Any thoughts on this?

Space Optimization
I assume that I will need to make changes to my SO configuration? I have the room dimensions set up in SO 2. Do I only have to change the speakers in Konfig for the DS, or do I need to change anything else?

Anything else? Thanks !

Willem

DavidHB

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Wight, UK
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Currently I am using Linn K400 as a bi-wire cable from my Klimax Solos to my Akurate 242’s. I’m not sure if I will be driving the Akubariks bi-wired; the ones I heard at the dealers were driven single-wired and sounded brilliant. I will probably want to experiment on that, but I am curious about others’ experiences in this area? If I do decide to use single wires, there is no point in using the K400 so I could either buy new cables (K200 ?) or just split up the K400’s to create “old style K200’s”. Any thoughts on this?
You'll find that the connectors between the posts come in different sizes - four each of two, three and four hole lengths. This allows for various combinations of multi-wiring and multi amping. It would be worth consulting your dealer on this. I've only ever used my 'bariks single wired or full Exakt, so I cannot comment on multi-wiring from experience.

I assume that I will need to make changes to my SO configuration? I have the room dimensions set up in SO 2. Do I only have to change the speakers in Konfig for the DS, or do I need to change anything else?
Yo do not need to change anything in Konfig, but you will need to edit your SO v2 profile (which will generate a new profile with the current date). Before you do this, and before you deploy the spikes, check the speaker positions (with SO disabled) to find as good a location as possible; it may be different from the ideal location of the 242s. In some rooms a move even of a couple of centimetres can make a noticeable difference. Likewise, you may wish to consider using a small amount of toe-in; again, results will vary between rooms. When you switch SO back on, I'd keep the same profile (other than the different speaker model and locations) as you had before, at least in the first instance, then listen at length before making further changes.

David

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Space Optimization
As far as I know, SO 2 separates the room from the system. So the best bet would be to "move" your new system with the Akubariks into your current room. I don't know how you do this as I can't use SO 2. You will of course need to re-optimise for the new speakers.

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use Solos and Akubariks. The system here is only single wired but I asked Philbo how best to connect and he recommended it to be done like this, in case you’re considering doing the same:-

F1C10523-8B95-435F-A67B-3641112043D5.jpeg

...oh, and I prefer K200 to the single pair (one third!) of K600 I was using before, although others seemed to prefer the older cable in their own systems. 

Last edited by a moderator:

DutchWillem

Wammer
Jan 17, 2019
Netherlands
AKA
Willem
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You'll find that the connectors between the posts come in different sizes - four each of two, three and four hole lengths. This allows for various combinations of multi-wiring and multi amping. It would be worth consulting your dealer on this. I've only ever used my 'bariks single wired or full Exakt, so I cannot comment on multi-wiring from experience.

Yo do not need to change anything in Konfig, but you will need to edit your SO v2 profile (which will generate a new profile with the current date). Before you do this, and before you deploy the spikes, check the speaker positions (with SO disabled) to find as good a location as possible; it may be different from the ideal location of the 242s. In some rooms a move even of a couple of centimetres can make a noticeable difference. Likewise, you may wish to consider using a small amount of toe-in; again, results will vary between rooms. When you switch SO back on, I'd keep the same profile (other than the different speaker model and locations) as you had before, at least in the first instance, then listen at length before making further changes.

David
Thanks David. I’m not quite sure what you mean with “posts”?

BB1

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Binding posts, i.e. the ten separate sockets for connecting speaker cables to the Akubraik.

DavidHB

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Wight, UK
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
BB1 got there first - they're the sockets shown in the image in MickC's post. That picture also clearly shows the connecting strips linking the positive and negative sockets when the speaker is configured for passive use.

Incidentally, the Akubariks can be set up for separate amplification of the isobaric lower bass drivers. With your Solos, I guess that this not a particularly attractive option, as you'd need at least an additional A2200, and the 500wpc you already have should provide more than enough quality power.

David

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
BB1 got there first - they're the sockets shown in the image in MickC's post. That picture also clearly shows the connecting strips linking the positive and negative sockets when the speaker is configured for passive use. Incidentally, the Akubariks can be set up for separate amplification of the isobaric lower bass drivers. With your Solos, I guess that this not a particularly attractive option, as you'd need at least an additional A2200, and the 500wpc you already have should provide more than enough quality power.David
I think he has 4 solos as he was bi-amping the 242’s. My bad. Just scrolled up and read - bi- wiring the solos to the 242’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I will be replacing my speakers in a couple of weeks. The current setup is Klimax DS/1 >> Klimax Kontrol/1 >> Klimax Solos >> Akurate 242’s. All equipment is Dynamiked. I will be replacing the 242’s with passive Akubariks in a couple of weeks and this has got me thinking what I need or want to change once I have the Akubariks.

Cables
Currently I am using Linn K400 as a bi-wire cable from my Klimax Solos to my Akurate 242’s. I’m not sure if I will be driving the Akubariks bi-wired; the ones I heard at the dealers were driven single-wired and sounded brilliant. I will probably want to experiment on that, but I am curious about others’ experiences in this area? If I do decide to use single wires, there is no point in using the K400 so I could eather buy new cables (K200 ?) or just split up the K400’s to create “old style K200’s”. Any thoughts on this?

Space Optimization

Anything else? Thanks !

Willem
Congratulations on your new Akubariks.

I could suggest that you start by placing your Akubariks in exactly the same spot in the room as the 242’s currently sit, with the same distance from the front and side walls, as well as the same toe-in.

However, I think you were planning on doing home renovations, when I last visited with you, and contemplating moving your HiFi equipment around?

I don’t know if you will still have your large HiFi cabinet in between your speaker, but you may benefit from a smaller HiFi stand to hold your electronics?

Pay special attention to cable management, and vibration control.

Regarding Space optimisation, you should be able to retain the same Space optimisation values from V1, that I set up for your 242’s, with some small tweaks to Custom filters 1, 2 and 3.

I would be happy to send you the values I use for my Akubariks, as a starting point, then we can use FaceTime or WhatsApp to do a video conference , or use TeamViewer to help set up your system.

Cheers

PeteLinn

Wammer
Feb 27, 2019
Regarding Space optimisation, you should be able to retain the same Space optimisation values from V1, that I set up for your 242’s, with some small tweaks to Custom filters 1, 2 and 3.
I would strongly advise against this. The physical locations of the drive units, and resonant frequencies of any ports, on 242s and Akubariks are vastly different, therefore will definitely affect the SO.

With SO v2 (Linn account version) you simply need to change the speakers in the music system's General tab, and create a new optimisation based on the new speakers (and you can even use the same room as a starting point, as mentioned above). 

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would strongly advise against this. The physical locations of the drive units, and resonant frequencies of any ports, on 242s and Akubariks are vastly different, therefore will definitely affect the SO.

With SO v2 (Linn account version) you simply need to change the speakers in the music system's General tab, and create a new optimisation based on the new speakers (and you can even use the same room as a starting point, as mentioned above). 
Pete, as you are here.... any news on when SO v2 will be available for Exakt systems? We were advised sometime this autumn.... is that still on the cards?

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I respectfully disagree Pete.

Having set up well over a hundred different Linn systems for Space Optimisation V1, of which at least a dozen were 242 systems and at least a dozen were Akubarik systems, for speaker placement and Space Optimisation V1.

Willem  could use the original SOv1 custom filter settings from his 242's as a good starting point, and then tweak the custom filter settings to fine tune for his Akubariks, to get the desired results. Of course the calculated room modes will be different for the 242's and the Akubariks.

I have successfully implemented a number of people's Space Optimisation settings when they converted from 242's to Akubariks, so I know this works well.

He can then also set up Space Optimisation V2 to compare the sound quality of V1 to Space Optimization V2

I have been to Dutchwillems home last year in Holland and spent a day there setting up his 242's.

DutchWillem has a very large and tall cabinet between his speakers that creates some room acoustic challenges, that SO may not address well, and the seating position is offset, favouring the left speaker..The speakers are firing across the width of the room, which is a moderate size room in terms of width.

I am happy to work with him remotely to help set up his new Akubariks and fine tune his system, to his preferences

As Willem is an experienced musician, he should be able to get great results.

BB1

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Pete, as you are here.... any news on when SO v2 will be available for Exakt systems? We were advised sometime this autumn.... is that still on the cards?
At the last Linn event some time ago at my dealer, I’ve told him and Linn’s German brand ambassador that I won’t upgrade to Akubraiks until SO2+ has been released.

DutchWillem

Wammer
Jan 17, 2019
Netherlands
AKA
Willem
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes indeed we changed our living room quite a bit.

We wanted a larger living room - originally it was 4 x 7 meters and we felt that was too small. We had a kitchen room of 5 x 6 meters adjacent to the living, so we broke away the wall between these rooms, thus creating a new larger living room in the shape of an L. We divided our garage that was 4 x 10 meters and really close to the house into two separate  rooms, then made a connection between the house and the garage, and made the part of the garage sitting closest to the house into our kitchen room. It turned out quite nice, if I do say so myself :) 

The stereo is now firing across the length of one leg of the L which is some 4 x 7 meters. So the 242's have moved from firing across the width to firing across the length and that sounds way better :) See the attached diagrams from SO v2.

When Paul visited us last year in april, he adjusted SO v1 for the original room. It did sound quite nice, way better than it sounded before Paul's visit. After the reconstruction I have started using SO v2. I am open to comparing v1 against v2 with the new Akubariks but I don't think that would be an honest comparison, with both the room dimensions and the speakers changed. Still, it will be fun to do so I'll probably give it a go.

Paul, thanks for your kind offer to assist in creating a new SO v1 but I don't think that doing this remote will be a succes. I'll probably just change the speaker info in SO v2 and start using that. I think I will need some time to get used to the new sounds but maybe later on there may arise a need to make adjustments.

Willem

Schermafbeelding 2019-09-18 om 20.13.21.png

Schermafbeelding 2019-09-18 om 20.18.16.png

DavidHB

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Wight, UK
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At the last Linn event some time ago at my dealer, I’ve told him and Linn’s German brand ambassador that I won’t upgrade to Akubariks until SO2+ has been released.
I bought my Akubariks (initially for passive use) back in 2015, before SO v2 was even dreamt of. They were an ex demo pair,  and the dealer (Chris of Hidden Systems) had put a fair amount of effort into producing an SO profile for his demo room. In many ways, it was the quality of the SO implementation that sold me on the speakers. Buy the Akubariks now, before the price goes up!

David

• Upvote
Reactions: MickC

PeteLinn

Wammer
Feb 27, 2019
Yes, that is still on the cards.

I respectfully disagree Pete.
You are welcome to your opinions, and going by earwitness reports your novel approach to "Space Optimisation" has indeed yielded benefits for some users. However, the incontravenable physical underpinning of room acoustics sits firmly on my side in this disagreement (indeed, we have become rather firm friends over the last 5 or so years, despite his monotone, booming laughter often masking my beautiful music). 

Of course, the bottom line is that we all hope @DutchWillem is able to obtain a SO (v1 or v2) profile which brings his new system to life!

Reactions: MickC

FearOfMusic

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2018
Bristol, UK
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, that is still on the cards.
It might be at the same time as the "new wireless speakers".  It might not be a good look to announce, "Linn's splendid new wireless speakers complete with their second-best space optimisation software."

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It might be at the same time as the "new wireless speakers".  It might not be a good look to announce, "Linn's splendid new wireless speakers complete with their second-best space optimisation software."
Assuming they will be Exakt. Logically speaking they will be, but that's a lot of load on a WiFi link. No idea what bitrate Exakt links run at though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.