Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For over 45 years I’ve enjoyed, playing, tinkering and upgrading my Vinyl rig but I’m now at an end.
I have hundreds of records and will continue to play them and cherish them as they are part of my history and life events but I’ll be buying no more.
My reasons are… they are too expensive, many are poorly manufactured and the quality is somewhat dubious of many.
Unless I see a ridiculous bargain (they don’t come round often) that’s it!
So what am I going to be doing to feed my music habit? Streaming you think? Well no. I have more CD’s than vinyl so I have invested in a battleship today. Well, a battleship of CD players that is 😊. Even the remote is nearly 1kg!
After some years ago, I had the pleasure of the Restek Concret player with separate PSU and from that day, I always wanted one for a few reasons.
4B374CC6-B39C-4938-BBA4-B02FAB76CBDF.jpeg
27 years old, hand built in Germany and still fully supported by Restek to this day. Restek are not massively known here in the UK but to be able to support, upgrade and bring up to nearly their £6000 Epos flagship player is pretty remarkable. They will even change the facia to match my other components!
Today I have put it up against my £2500 DAC and transport and it matched if not, improved on them and that’s testament to a 27 year old player and that’s before the service, component and DAC upgrade !
3824C9A5-AED8-43E8-ADB7-F14D0C865147.jpeg
I also used this as a transport and the analogue way and I struggled to hear the difference between the two.

E254B862-B6D7-4C35-BCBC-818A991C3D07.jpeg

It hadn’t been played for 10 years before I got it but you wouldn’t have known it!
So, I’m going to reacquaint myself to all those CD’s and as you can pick CD’s up for next to nothing, why not I say!!

C7A56204-8309-47D9-8B37-26B4E827F59F.jpeg

The other thing that will be done is adding a digital input for my streamer.

So, I’m not abandoning vinyl because I love it and always will but slow down I must because I’ve spent far too much on this hobby, well in my book anyway.

These don’t come up often but I jumped at the chance to get this. Upgrades here we come.

Last edited:

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice one Jon @Rockchild. Owning a ‘battleship’ cdp like that is a thing to be proud of imo. I also still play some cd’s for serious listening and prefer it to my streaming front end. Enjoy 👍
I’m not deserting vinyl Jayson, I’ll just enjoy what I have. I have a decent record cleaner too. I worked out I spent over £2500 on new vinyl last year and didn’t seem to have much to show for it. I think i rejected over 20 albums for their poor quality.
I managed to get Melody Gardot’s live in Europe (fantastic quality) for £36 and now I see it over £80! Bloody crazy!

Iceman 16

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 31, 2010
Swansea
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m not deserting vinyl Jayson, I’ll just enjoy what I have. I have a decent record cleaner too. I worked out I spent over £2500 on new vinyl last year and didn’t seem to have much to show for it. I think i rejected over 20 albums for their poor quality.
I managed to get Melody Gardot’s live in Europe (fantastic quality) for £36 and now I see it over £80! Bloody crazy!
I agree. Vinyl record prices has skyrocketed. Some MoFi and Analogue Productions are just becoming a dream for me especially those 1 Step and UHQR releases 🙁

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great to hear that you've found your (hopefully?) end-game digital setup, Jon, I've never heard one but it does look the business. I love a top-loader, me. I'd love that Bow Technologies in the Classifieds but out of reach of my pocket at the moment. Impressive service from Restek too, supporting a player of that age, that is fantastic and bodes well for long-term ownership. Bring it to a bake-off so we can trash it hear how amazing it is :ROFLMAO:

Now you have two sorted front-ends, plenty of good tunes, so you can relax and enjoy what you have without upgrade-itis creeping in! And don't forget that it's fun to browse through second-hand records, which is an avenue that's substantially cheaper and probably less of a quality-lottery than buying new. A few quid here and there is not too much of a gamble, especially as you have an RCM too.

Good choice of "Now Playing" by the way, a brilliant album. The one in the player's not bad either...

Turn it up!

Wam Bam
Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Never heard of the brand / CD player but loving the support they still offer. Very nice.

I’ve been streaming only for a few years now but the 2 big boxes of cds I still have are calling me, I think it’s time to get a CD player again.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great to hear that you've found your (hopefully?) end-game digital setup, Jon, I've never heard one but it does look the business. I love a top-loader, me. I'd love that Bow Technologies in the Classifieds but out of reach of my pocket at the moment. Impressive service from Restek too, supporting a player of that age, that is fantastic and bodes well for long-term ownership. Bring it to a bake-off so we can trash it hear how amazing it is :ROFLMAO:

Now you have two sorted front-ends, plenty of good tunes, so you can relax and enjoy what you have without upgrade-itis creeping in! And don't forget that it's fun to browse through second-hand records, which is an avenue that's substantially cheaper and probably less of a quality-lottery than buying new. A few quid here and there is not too much of a gamble, especially as you have an RCM too.

Good choice of "Now Playing" by the way, a brilliant album. The one in the player's not bad either...
Hi Jules, when you spend out on something, yes it makes a difference but to really exploit it, you need ancillaries to match and can be an endless game. This player was over 3k when it came out and to be in a position nearly 30 years later to upgrade it is quite amazing tbh. To get even close to the latest spec is pretty amazing.
Don’t get me wrong tho, my current digital front end is no slouch and I’d say the Restek is about on par currently until the upgrades come.

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There has to come a point in this hobby when enough is enough ..
Glad you’ve come to that conclusion
I very rarely buy new albums , I may have brought 10 in the last 2 years , like you I have found the quality lacking in respect of price .. I have albums from the 60s & 70s that have far better SQ than the current offerings unless you are prepared to dig deep and I’m not . I still scour the charity shops and record fairs for gems at very little cost ..
Getting to your endgame is very satisfying,, I’ve not wanted to change anything in my main system since I put it together 2 years ago ..
As you say we oldies have so much music on vinyl and CD ……..Even if I lived to be 100 I will never get to play them all ,,my hearing will probably be inadequate way before then anyhow ..
Like you I will continue to cherish and enjoy what I have ….

deggie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2011
edge of birmingham
AKA
keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Quite agree , i still browse charity shops and market music vendors for stuff , looking out for quality labels ..ecm ..act ..decca .etc.......part of the hobby of being interested in music...........Restek looks a cracker .

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think that is a a great move I have been thinking about making some enquires about getting my Esoteric SACD player serviced it will be interesting to see if they will have the same service policy?

I agrre with you about the cost of vinyl now it's ridiculous and will never return to sensible prices again. Not had any issues with quality myself other than a couple of albums but that was more to do with poor packing really.

I will continue playing CD's as I have always done but like you vinyl has a special place in my heart that will always remain having said that only special albums will be bought that I really want now.

Enjoy your new player mate. MVJ

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There has to come a point in this hobby when enough is enough ..
Glad you’ve come to that conclusion
I very rarely buy new albums , I may have brought 10 in the last 2 years , like you I have found the quality lacking in respect of price .. I have albums from the 60s & 70s that have far better SQ than the current offerings unless you are prepared to dig deep and I’m not . I still scour the charity shops and record fairs for gems at very little cost ..
Getting to your endgame is very satisfying,, I’ve not wanted to change anything in my main system since I put it together 2 years ago ..
As you say we oldies have so much music on vinyl and CD ……..Even if I lived to be 100 I will never get to play them all ,,my hearing will probably be inadequate way before then anyhow ..
Like you I will continue to cherish and enjoy what I have ….
Well said mate. Provided my vinyl from years ago is clean, they offer far better quality. With some experience of ‘re master’ pressings recently, it confirms it.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Quite agree , i still browse charity shops and market music vendors for stuff , looking out for quality labels ..ecm ..act ..decca .etc.......part of the hobby of being interested in music...........Restek looks a cracker .
As do I Keith but they have got wiser. I’ve had the odd one from eBay that I’ve been lucky with too but on the whole, they are overpriced.
There are records in my collection that I will never play again or ‘why the hell did I buy that’ but they are part of my history so they will stay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.