Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Speaking with one of the Wam members a couple of days ago, he mentioned that Gilad did a video interview in the past week.

I have not seen the interview, and don’t have a link to the interview, but Gilad mentioned in the interview that there would be no future Organik upgrade for the Akubariks. He mentioned that the Organik upgrade boards would not fit inside the current Akubarik's amplifier modules

That is very disappointing.

Perhaps Linn could design a different enclosure that is slightly bigger to accommodate the Organik amplifier modules?

It may also mean that there are new replacement speakers for the Akubariks that may be released in the near future?

• Wow
Reactions: dol and Chris 1970

Pennypacker

d^_^b
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Speaking with one of the Wam members a couple of days ago, he mentioned that Gilad did a video interview in the past week.

I have not seen the interview, and don’t have a link to the interview, but Gilad mentioned in the interview that there would be no future Organik upgrade for the Akubariks. He mentioned that the Organik upgrade boards would not fit inside the current Akubarik's amplifier modules

That is very disappointing.

Perhaps Linn could design a different enclosure that is slightly bigger to accommodate the Organik amplifier modules?

It may also mean that there are new replacement speakers for the Akubariks that may be released in the near future?
That is disappointing indeed, although I don’t own Akubariks. I think that in the case of Akubariks, the next best thing to do is ad a NGKDSM, giving an upgrade at least and budgetwise in the same range as new boards for the speakers. I also suggest you buy an LP12 so you can tinker and upgrade until the end of time to keep the worm at peace.

I‘m also curious what alternative speakers on Selekt and Majik level are in the pipeline since the current range is also getting quite old.

Mark57

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Yes, I think the interview is on Facebook somewhere. A shame but so be it. My bank manager will be happy, though my dealer will have to come up with another way of keeping body and soul together 😉

Other the replacing my LP12 cartridge in due course looks like I have come to the end of the road with my set up.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That is disappointing indeed, although I don’t own Akubariks. I think that in the case of Akubariks, the next best thing to do is ad a NGKDSM, giving an upgrade at least and budgetwise in the same range as new boards for the speakers. I also suggest you buy an LP12 so you can tinker and upgrade until the end of time to keep the worm at peace.

I‘m also curious what alternative speakers on Selekt and Majik level are in the pipeline since the current range is also getting quite old.
Thank you for the suggestions

At the moment, the only upgrade path open for me would be the NGKSH.

I am extremely happy with how my system sounds, especially since adding the Klimax Hub recently.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, I think the interview is on Facebook somewhere. A shame but so be it. My bank manager will be happy, though my dealer will have to come up with another way of keeping body and soul together 😉

Other the replacing my LP12 cartridge in due course looks like I have come to the end of the road with my set up.
Thank you for letting me know the source of the interview video. 😊👍🏻

Yes, it is unfortunate there is no upgrade to Organik for my Akubariks

As I will not be able to upgrade my Akubariks to Organik, there is no point for me to upgrade my Akurate Exaktbox 6 or Akurate Exaktbox I to Organik, if that becomes an option. Then my Linn surround system would become unbalanced, with an Organik centre and rear channels, but no Organik Akubariks.

I guess we will see where Linn goes from here, with the 50th anniversary next year. Rumours of new speakers, amps and other things Linn…..

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris 1970

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
that's unfortunate but that will also save us some serious money...... the market in the US does not look like its going upwards anyway so less spending maybe a better idea. we are also very satisfied with our Kat Akubariks.

vicdiaz

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2010
Trujillo Alto, PR
AKA
Victor Diaz
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, Gilad did mention it but he also mentioned they will try to figure out a solution. Seems real estate in Akubarik PCBs is pretty scarce and Organik being a discrete DAC consumes a lot of it. I'll throw out an idea, externalize the Akubarik's power supply to recover some PCB real estate space?

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, Gilad did mention it but he also mentioned they will try to figure out a solution. Seems real estate in Akubarik PCBs is pretty scarce and Organik being a discrete DAC consumes a lot of it. I'll throw out an idea, externalize the Akubarik's power supply to recover some PCB real estate space?
I’ve just rewatched what Gilad said, which was that, “we’ll have an alternative solution for Akubarik owners… we’ll find some commercial solution to bring you guys forward, whether you want to trade in or, you know, move to, maybe, some kind of external Exakt solution instead, with Organik in Exaktboxes…”

Can’t see them modifying Akubariks.

’troll

90sLinn

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Sad news now also for Akubarik owners and yet another reminder of the disadvantages of integrated solutions, which is at least good to be aware of when making a purchase.
Fewer boxes and less cabling but at the price of less flexibility and eventually upgradeability. Still I imagine an Organik upgrade, if it had been possible, would have been rather expensive.
(And from personal experience integrated speakers are complicated and potentielly very expensive after e.g. lightning strike damages.)

Would be interesting to know whether Linn (eventually) offers a conversion back to std passive/active. At least after they are out of warranty and/or service.

HollyJohnsen

Wammer
Dec 20, 2021
Germany, Waldeck
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, the upgrade fever and my thoughts on it. I only made a change in January and am looking forward to my next step, my bio boards. Or maybe I'd rather buy a small LP12, I have to admit that I missed it and I wasn't quite sure where the journey would go. But when I read along here, I only realize how privileged I am because this upgrade is offered for me. I take my time, maybe there will be surprises.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve just rewatched what Gilad said, which was that, “we’ll have an alternative solution for Akubarik owners… we’ll find some commercial solution to bring you guys forward, whether you want to trade in or, you know, move to, maybe, some kind of external Exakt solution instead, with Organik in Exaktboxes…”

Can’t see them modifying Akubariks.

’troll
As the bearer of this bad news for us Akubarik owners, I was looking to you to say something to make us feel better. I think you've delivered. For me, a generous trade-in scheme towards Klimax 350s would be something I'd most likely jump on. I really don't want to go external. I do like the clean look of integrateds.

entdgc

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Congleton, England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For me, a generous trade-in scheme towards Klimax 350s would be something I'd most likely jump on.
I would be surprised if Linn were to offer an upgrade to the current Klimax range. I think it would be more likely to be a way of attracting customers to 'buy into' some (future) new speaker offering.
Just my musings....

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wonder what the issue is with fitting Organik to Akubariks? Linn have managed to upgrade KDS(M) boxes to Organik, and the upgrade boards for those are the same size as the Katalyst boards. Why would replacement boards for Akubariks be bigger than existing ones?
I’m beginning to think this may be due to marketing/strategy rather than a technological reason…

Mick

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wonder what the issue is with fitting Organik to Akubariks? Linn have managed to upgrade KDS(M) boxes to Organik, and the upgrade boards for those are the same size as the Katalyst boards. Why would replacement boards for Akubariks be bigger than existing ones?
I’m beginning to think this may be due to marketing/strategy rather than a technological reason…

Mick
In my opinion, it makes a lot of sense for Linn to offer Organik for people that own Akubariks.

I think if Linn could make it happen, they will.

Thinking outside the box, they may have to design slightly bigger casework to fit the new Organik electronics inside? Alternatively, they may have to design an external outboard box that has the Organik boards inside.

I think Linn could greatly benefit from an external DAC box that you could use Organik inside that could be used on any Linn or Non-Linn electronics that requires a DAC.

Wouldn’t it be great if you could use this add on Organik box on your Klimax, Akurate, Selekt and Magik level DSM and DS products. This Organik box could also be used by people that own non-Linn HiFi, as an external DAC.

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In my opinion, it makes a lot of sense for Linn to offer Organik for people that own Akubariks.

I think if Linn could make it happen, they will.

Thinking outside the box, they may have to design slightly bigger casework to fit the new Organik electronics inside? Alternatively, they may have to design an external outboard box that has the Organik boards inside.

I think Linn could greatly benefit from an external DAC box that you could use Organik inside that could be used on any Linn or Non-Linn electronics that requires a DAC.

Wouldn’t it be great if you could use this add on Organik box on your Klimax, Akurate, Selekt and Magik level DSM and DS products. This Organik box could also be used by people that own non-Linn HiFi, as an external DAC.
The thing that’s made me wonder is the dropping of the Akurate LP12 (or at least the rebadging of it to Selekt LP12). Is the rest of the lineup to follow? Any Organik upgrades at Akurate level will likely be considerably less than the Klimax DS(M) upgrade, as can be shown by comparing the cost of Katalyst updates at those two levels - the Klimax Katalyst update was more than twice as expensive as the Akurate update - so it may not be worth Linn’s while.
I do think it’s a shame Akubariks are missing out though. My suspicion is that Linn will offer a trade in (may be to a forthcoming speaker?) rather than a tech solution.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.