Wammer
Wammer
May 13, 2014
Granes - Pyrenees
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have not been sleeping nights with my guilty secret. When I compared the benchmark DAC to Dacapo, i have such an indifference to cables i just used the first bits of wire i could find.  And that was posher cable B for benchmark, and my regular cheapie for Dacapo. Time to check whether it was really the DAC or a hideously embarrassing cable difference.

I hate auditioning cables. It's rarely possible to flick a switch between them. It wasn't tonight. And actually it was a bloody fight with cable B, whose connectors were so snug on the RCA sockets i got no signal to start with and wasted 15 minutes on paranoid fault finding.

And got the PD shakes bad trying to disconnect them. I mention this by way of admission of a possible negative bias for cable B resulting from this wrestling match.

I wasn't confident to start with that I could hear any difference. So called in Mrs Pinkie who confirmed my impression.

My cheapie was (not THAT different) but richer and fuller and actually better for detail, tunefulness, and instrument authenticity.

A bit. If you like that sort of thing.  I think a glass of red wine is needed before any more nonsense

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I once got my directional cables the wrong way round and the music didn't play backwards. 

Go figure🤔
But it would make a difference as the electrons would be falling into the amplifier and not the speakers. As you know a speaker can accommodate far more electrons than an amplifier as they are bigger. It is therefore important to connect the cables the right way round and ensure the electrons do not fall into the amplifiers.

Richard will know this as the Hawksford Echo as they bounce around the speakers. Complicated eh? :geek:

• Haha
Reactions: uzzy and Tony_J

Pinkie

Wammer
Wammer
May 13, 2014
Granes - Pyrenees
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm glad to see you participating with the appropriate reverence. As for hawksford, be careful. Not only was he, to quote Bertie Wooster, the pal of a chum of mine (or was it the other way round?)

But I'm married to an Essex girl 😀

• Haha
Reactions: George 47

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Any cable thread, whether in humour of otherwise, is as dull as xxxx. I don't even know why I typed this !

• Haha
Reactions: uzzy

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Any cable thread, whether in humour of otherwise, is as dull as xxxx. I don't even know why I typed this !
How very dare you.

Not only a 'cheaper may be/is/could have been possibly better', but a mention of Malcolm Hawksford and a P.G. Wodehouse quote in four posts. Things is good.

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Guys one of my cables is 1m and the other 3m I literally don't understand that the speed of light is faster than the speed of sound can someone explain basic physics please 

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
🤔 might design some optical transceiver cables and sell them for 13 million a metre 

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Guys one of my cables is 1m and the other 3m I literally don't understand that the speed of light is faster than the speed of sound can someone explain basic physics please 
In quantum physics electromagnetic radiation where light is only a tiny fraction of the whole spectrum . Acts as both a particle and a wave ...the well known slit experiment!!!! it is not affected by any other force in the galaxy other than huge gravitational forces such as a black hole where the light can be bent .But it does not need a physical medium to travel along ....Sound on the other hand does ,be it solid liquid or gas ..The tighter the atoms or molecules are packed together the faster sound travels .. Through evolution our ears  have evolved to “hear” sound at one atmosphere as on earth ...

the lighter the atmosphere/ gas the greater loss in sound ..Until there is no sound wave in a vacuum..In space no one hears you scream as in the  opening credits of Alien

that’s why you have a squeaky voice when you breathe helium 
But both light and sound produce heat when their energy flow is restricted 

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Easy. You can see one is longer than the other much quicker than you can hear that there isn't any difference. Or not.

Put them in a box with a cat.

• Haha
Reactions: uzzy and George 47

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Easy. You can see one is longer than the other much quicker than you can hear that there isn't any difference. Or not.

Put them in a box with a cat.
But which cat ? The one in the experiment or The Cat Who Walked Through Walls ?

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
In quantum physics electromagnetic radiation where light is only a tiny fraction of the whole spectrum . Acts as both a particle and a wave ...the well known slit experiment!!!! it is not affected by any other force in the galaxy other than huge gravitational forces such as a black hole where the light can be bent .But it does not need a physical medium to travel along ....Sound on the other hand does ,be it solid liquid or gas ..The tighter the atoms or molecules are packed together the faster sound travels .. Through evolution our ears  have evolved to “hear” sound at one atmosphere as on earth ...

the lighter the atmosphere/ gas the greater loss in sound ..Until there is no sound wave in a vacuum..In space no one hears you scream as in the  opening credits of Alien

that’s why you have a squeaky voice when you breathe helium 
But both light and sound produce heat when their energy flow is restricted 
But that ry cooder solo tho

Pinkie

Wammer
Wammer
May 13, 2014
Granes - Pyrenees
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have this problem. The left channel speaker cable is 9m while the right channel only 5m, so the music finishes first on the right 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: George 47 and MVJ

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
But it would make a difference as the electrons would be falling into the amplifier and not the speakers. As you know a speaker can accommodate far more electrons than an amplifier as they are bigger. It is therefore important to connect the cables the right way round and ensure the electrons do not fall into the amplifiers.

Richard will know this as the Hawksford Echo as they bounce around the speakers. Complicated eh? :geek:
So, electrons get constipated?

How weird!

• Haha
Reactions: uzzy and MVJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online