Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
hifienthusiast wrote:

You may be able find to find a used Moth RIAA phono stage for about £100. It caters for both MM and MC cartridges, built with discrete transistors, designed by Stan Curtis of the original Cambridge Audio fame. It is a superb phono stage for its price, I prefer it to the Trichord Dino. The Moth has a full, warm sound and deep bass.The Moth is also very narrow, but long. The transformer is housed in a separate plastic box.
interesting suggestion. haven't made a final decision yet so may keep my eyes open for this one. thanks

yoda900

Wammer Plus
Sep 20, 2005
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Although outside your stated budget the Moth is an oldie but goodie.

A modded Rotel is also a good bet.

I personally would save the pennies and then buy an older pre with a phono stage. They are usually very well made and the Puresound actually sounds better with an active pre in front as it is a great power amp. This was proved at the Manchester show when the Belles Soloist pre was added the performance went up on an already good sound.

Ask Murray as he was there.

There must be some stonking older pres out there that peeps don't realise how good the phono stages are in them.

Conrad Johnson PVA and Audio Research SP8 II ought to be found for under £500. Musical Fidelity ( when they made good amps
wink.png
) also worth a look out for.

Or indeed the mathching pre to the Moth which is also tremeandous value.

Place a wanted add and you might find a bargain.

The lift to the system will be immense.

Find a good one and you may never have to change your system again until you can afford a Kondo or a Murray custom jobbie:D

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yoda900 wrote:

Although outside your stated budget the Moth is an oldie but goodie.A modded Rotel is also a good bet.

I personally would save the pennies and then buy an older pre with a phono stage. They are usually very well made and the Puresound actually sounds better with an active pre in front as it is a great power amp. This was proved at the Manchester show when the Belles Soloist pre was added the performance went up on an already good sound.

Ask Murray as he was there.

There must be some stonking older pres out there that peeps don't realise how good the phono stages are in them.

Conrad Johnson PVA and Audio Research SP8 II ought to be found for under £500. Musical Fidelity ( when they made good amps
wink.png
) also worth a look out for.

Or indeed the mathching pre to the Moth which is also tremeandous value.

Place a wanted add and you might find a bargain.

The lift to the system will be immense.

Find a good one and you may never have to change your system again until you can afford a Kondo or a Murray custom jobbie:D
hhhmmmmm - interesting take onmysituation, much appreciated. eventually upgrading with a pre is something I have wondered about, but didn't plan on doing it quite yet
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif
. we really needa head scratching/pondering emoticon.

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
The Musical Fidelity phono stages in their pre amps appear to be very good compared to other solid state designs.

adsa

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 26, 2007
Engerland
AKA
Adam
Very good sound from the outset. Got some good components in there. Upgrade the standard Op-Amps and it sings. So much better than the stock NAD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online